• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Height of oil at PTO

ramdough

Anyone know if I need to drain oil (and how much) from the transmission before I pull the PTO off of a truck for a winch transplant?

Pulling it this Sunday..... appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Nope. Not sure if you are wanting a PTO that you can operate with the truck helping to self recover but Muncie has one for a decent price.
I am doing a swap over. If I end up later having cash to burn, I may consider doing something else. Thanks for the feedback though.

ramdough

Nope. Not sure if you are wanting a PTO that you can operate with the truck helping to self recover but Muncie has one for a decent price.
Wes,

What prevents the stock winch from running when in gear?

In my situation, I am swapping an A0 winch setup into an A1, so the wiring will be custom no matter what.

I was thinking of wiring so that it cannot engage without being in Neutral, but then not preventing the transmission from going into gear.

Is there an issue with the PTO or transmission that prevents what I plan to do?

Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You have to put the PTO in a gear to keep the torque converter from spinning so it will engage smoothly and not grind. Then put it back in neutral for operation. It operates off the torque converter gear which spins at engine speed in neutral. Which is why you can't self recover with a normal PTO on an automatic transmission, its not spinning enough to operate

The idler gear always moves and it uses a clutch pack to engage so it not moving id easier on engagements

Attachments

ramdough

You have to put the PTO in a gear to keep the torque converter from spinning so it will engage smoothly and not grind. Then put it back in neutral for operation. It operates off the torque converter gear which spins at engine speed in neutral. Which is why you can't self recover with a normal PTO on an automatic transmission, its not spinning enough to operate

The idler gear always moves and it uses a clutch pack to engage so it not moving id easier on engagements
Thank you for the explanation!

We did the PTO swap yesterday.

If you put the transmission manually into 1st, could it work then? Can you keep the RPMs up enough to run both?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the explanation!

We did the PTO swap yesterday.

If you put the transmission manually into 1st, could it work then? Can you keep the RPMs up enough to run both?

No. Torque converter drive gear spins pretty fast in idle. Faster than it could go running. Most automatic PTOs disengage in gear to protect it. I assume you used a clutch operated Parker PTO?

ramdough

No. Torque converter drive gear spins pretty fast in idle. Faster than it could go running. Most automatic PTOs disengage in gear to protect it. I assume you used a clutch operated Parker PTO?
It is off of an A0 winch truck. We did a swap over to an A1. Now i need to figure out how to wire it. My plan is to either simulate the A1 setup, or make it more manual.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is off of an A0 winch truck. We did a swap over to an A1. Now i need to figure out how to wire it. My plan is to either simulate the A1 setup, or make it more manual.

Does your PTO look like this?

Post a pic of your pto please.

Most allison PTO that the Military use are engaged via Hydraulic pressure from a transmission line via a solenoid shown below

Mine is wired thru a buzzer/light combo

Attachments

ramdough

Most allison PTO that the Military use are engaged via Hydraulic pressure from a transmission line via a solenoid shown below

my PTO does have oil pressure to a solenoid.

see below.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks