• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from southern Missouri

Karl_William

Hello all,

I could use some ID help. I recently acquired a truck that believe is a CCKW that was converted to a tow truck. The few things I do know/have read about aren't helping much. It is 6x6. The cowl says Chevrolet not GMC. The engine is a 235 not a 270(probably swapped in the late 50's early 60's maybe.)
I've looked in the usual locations on the frame rails(both sides) for any number stamps. I can't seem to find any where they should be. There is a single "S" stamped on the passenger frame rail side just in front of the friction shock. There are three plates riveted inside the cab, above the windshield. I believe they were painted at one time. All rust now. One plate has a six digit (no letters) number stamped into it. The number is 445347. I'm pretty sure it was a military vehicle at one time as it still has the blackout lights on front fenders. Was there any non military commercial usage of these trucks? Also it has winch on the front, but it looks half home made mounts. I think it says Tulsa winch on it. There's one of the same manufacturer on the back just behind the cab from the tow rig. I'm wondering if the frame may be stamped somewhere behind the cab? There is a LOT of home made plating of the frame to support the tow rig. Screenshot_20211117-105750~2.pngScreenshot_20211117-105810~2.png

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Man, I wish this truck could talk. I’m sure it has a very colorful history. The brush guard is a give away. I think there is no doubt it’s a military truck. I’m no expert on WWII vehicles but there are plenty of folks here that are. Now just sit back and read all about your truck… ;) Glad to see you joined.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Man, I wish this truck could talk. I’m sure it has a very colorful history. The brush guard is a give away. I think there is no doubt it’s a military truck. I’m no expert on WWII vehicles but there are plenty of folks here that are. Now just sit back and read all about your truck… ;) Glad to see you joined.
You and that old truck could reminisce about when the big bang scared the heck out of yall and then how dirt showed up just a short time after that! Ha

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all,

I could use some ID help. I recently acquired a truck that believe is a CCKW that was converted to a tow truck. The few things I do know/have read about aren't helping much. It is 6x6. The cowl says Chevrolet not GMC. The engine is a 235 not a 270(probably swapped in the late 50's early 60's maybe.)
I've looked in the usual locations on the frame rails(both sides) for any number stamps. I can't seem to find any where they should be. There is a single "S" stamped on the passenger frame rail side just in front of the friction shock. There are three plates riveted inside the cab, above the windshield. I believe they were painted at one time. All rust now. One plate has a six digit (no letters) number stamped into it. The number is 445347. I'm pretty sure it was a military vehicle at one time as it still has the blackout lights on front fenders. Was there any non military commercial usage of these trucks? Also it has winch on the front, but it looks half home made mounts. I think it says Tulsa winch on it. There's one of the same manufacturer on the back just behind the cab from the tow rig. I'm wondering if the frame may be stamped somewhere behind the cab? There is a LOT of home made plating of the frame to support the tow rig. View attachment 852164View attachment 852165
Hi Karl,

Welcome to the Outfit!

There is definitely a lot of "home built" additions on the old truck, but it sure looks military. Or at least the cab and axles sure seem to be. The cab looks like it could be an international harvester, but that would have a BIG in-line six under the hood. The tip out windshield was on the old IH trucks.

That pocket on top of the cab almost looks like a school bus top. Not any 6x6 school buses that I know of though...

Most of the time, the frame would have a stamp on the frame more or less behind the left front wheel. Lots of coats of paint could have covered all of that by now... Hopefully some of the other guys can chime in with more ideas about what it really is. Might be that a few pictures of the engine compartment might help nail it down...

Karl_William

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the Outfit!

There is definitely a lot of "home built" additions on the old truck, but it sure looks military. Or at least the cab and axles sure seem to be. The cab looks like it could be an international harvester, but that would have a BIG in-line six under the hood. The tip out windshield was on the old IH trucks.

That pocket on top of the cab almost looks like a school bus top. Not any 6x6 school buses that I know of though...

Most of the time, the frame would have a stamp on the frame more or less behind the left front wheel. Lots of coats of paint could have covered all of that by now... Hopefully some of the other guys can chime in with more ideas about what it really is. Might be that a few pictures of the engine compartment might help nail it down...
Now that we can see the real roof line, almost looks like an old ambulance or some kinda van maybe. The cab was definitely shortened to fit the rear winchreceived_328492819106957.jpegreceived_257607699690136.jpegreceived_201562658831127.jpegreceived_1291125968074784.jpegreceived_306649764665096.jpegreceived_300738448612837.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now that we can see the real roof line, almost looks like an old ambulance or some kinda van maybe. The cab was definitely shortened to fit the rear winchView attachment 852467View attachment 852468View attachment 852469View attachment 852470View attachment 852471View attachment 852475
I see the Chevrolet badge on the cab.
Those rear axles look for all in the world like what was in the International 6x6. Even with a pillar block beside the hogshead like the IH... Anything on the motor that gives you any other clues?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Interesting. The axles look like they could be from a CCKW or one of the GMC trucks like the m211, m135, etc.
It may very well be a M135 or the M211. Hate to admit the only identifying thing I see on the axles is that pillar block - and I'm definitely not claiming all lnowledge of old trucks. Might be that the GMC is that way as well...

What was SO neat about the international was that there were two output shafts on the transfer case. I think maybe it was a G-651. The motor in the IH was larger than the REO 330. All I can remember for sure is that the pistons were considerably bigger around and the connecting rods were longer. Working with the "old guys" when I was in my 20's - it was amazing that the IH could run on one spark plug (running at idle). It also ran with green twigs for plug wires , and it also would run with "irish taters" screwed into the plug holes and it would actually RUN that way :)

With all that said, a bunch of us "20 somethings" and "the old guys" were always learning from their experience. The M4 Tractor was a heavy tracked machine with us immediately believing it was tougher than anything else on the yard. It wasn't. The International 6x6 could drag the M4 backward across the dirt and gravel parking lot... Pretty unbelievable to see.

OFF SoapBox and the Old Story Telling Machine

The sad part about the story is that since I didn't need to know what exactly the machine (IH) was, it may not really be relevant.

Karl_William

It may very well be a M135 or the M211. Hate to admit the only identifying thing I see on the axles is that pillar block - and I'm definitely not claiming all lnowledge of old trucks. Might be that the GMC is that way as well...

What was SO neat about the international was that there were two output shafts on the transfer case. I think maybe it was a G-651. The motor in the IH was larger than the REO 330. All I can remember for sure is that the pistons were considerably bigger around and the connecting rods were longer. Working with the "old guys" when I was in my 20's - it was amazing that the IH could run on one spark plug (running at idle). It also ran with green twigs for plug wires , and it also would run with "irish taters" screwed into the plug holes and it would actually RUN that way :)

With all that said, a bunch of us "20 somethings" and "the old guys" were always learning from their experience. The M4 Tractor was a heavy tracked machine with us immediately believing it was tougher than anything else on the yard. It wasn't. The International 6x6 could drag the M4 backward across the dirt and gravel parking lot... Pretty unbelievable to see.

OFF SoapBox and the Old Story Telling Machine

The sad part about the story is that since I didn't need to know what exactly the machine (IH) was, it may not really be relevant.
From what I've read around the internet it is said that several manufacturers were contracted to build a truck to the same specifications, GMC/Checker Yellow Chevrolet/IH/Studeker REO...
it's possible they agreed as long they could each use their own powerplants? That might explain the similarities you see with IH trucks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
From what I've read around the internet it is said that several manufacturers were contracted to build a truck to the same specifications, GMC/Checker Yellow Chevrolet/IH/Studeker REO...
it's possible they agreed as long they could each use their own powerplants? That might explain the similarities you see with IH trucks
They were similar but definitely different. The REO for example had "top loader" axles while the International looked a lot like what you have where the hogs head was loadedin from the front of the axle. The GMC (we only had three of them) was different too and all three had different transmissions - all manual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks