• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My name is Michael I stumbled across this site and I was blown away. I have been looking at getting a duece for quite some time. Just looking for some expert advice on what to look for and what not to buy.
Hi Michael,

I am new to this outfit as well. Maybe something from "the new guy" will be useful to you... I wanted a truck with a lifting boom on it. A way to reach over, pick something up and put it on a trailer or whatever. So I did a little digging and decided on a M936 which is a 5 Ton Medium Wrecker.

Just based on what I have encountered - you should spend some quality time looking into what you want. If you go for a Duce that has a winch on the front and the cargo bed on the back it will be a big truck. A little less complicated than what I ended up with but still a lot to consider. The one thing I have figured out for sure is that you can spend a lot of money and not necessarily get a better truck. Cheap at government auction isn't especially a great thing either. Sometimes you can find gold and other times - well it smells bad and isn't any fun to be around.

My particular truck came out of Ohio. The land of salt and slag. I am battling rust. Not that I didn't know that, but some of it has been a surprise. Surprise generally = dollars spent... It works out for me because in my 20's I worked on MV's for a living. I have the tools and a place (not inside unfortunately) to work. I can say that in my case (60 days in) that I fix one thing that seems to lead to something else that needs repair. I bought my truck knowing that - and I am happy with my decisions to this point.

One of the things I didn't see in your post was anything about your mechanical skills. Are you a fixer or a driver? That will matter in what you decide to purchase. There are some pretty fine people on this group that can help you own the kind of truck you want to buy. A "ready to drive" or a "ready to fix" kind of machine needs to be your first decision. When you figure that out, don't hesitate to speak up and I will offer more?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I am a driver and also know how to fix to but I’m ready to drive now.
Best Regards
Michael
Michael,

I sent you a private message. Give that a look. Top right corner, beside your User ID - little envelope. That might be a good way to get started too...

Tim

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kansas. These things are a lot of fun and a lot of work. (and a lot of money, at times.)

I recommend taking your time and finding the best truck you can for the money. And do lots of reading

The forum here contains a wealth of knowledge and real-world experience. The TM's are here and downloadable. I strongly advise reading the manuals, even before you get a truck home.

As far as things to look for, as with any old truck, everything is old. Rubber deteriorates over time. Rust, well, you know how that goes. The deuces have a brake system that is notorious for issues if not maintained properly, so be aware.

Good luck on the search.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Sometimes it is best to go with a little more expensive truck that has been preowned by someone that took care of the truck. That means all axles have had a complete service and air pack / master cylinder plus new rubber brake lines in good working order. Engine in good working order and been used once and a while not just set up in a field for 5 years. Injection pump FDC bypassed would show that the person knows what had to be done. Maybe even new dog bones on the axles would be one thing to look for. All the little buggy's have been found and eradicated so to speak.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How big will the wife or local zoning let you have? Google "bobbed deuce" and see if that is your style. Myself, I like 4x4 and not dragging the extra axle....or buying tires for it. And on the deuce, air lockers with 395 tires is cool.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How big will the wife or local zoning let you have? Google "bobbed deuce" and see if that is your style. Myself, I like 4x4 and not dragging the extra axle....or buying tires for it. And on the deuce, air lockers with 395 tires is cool.

Toby, have you seen the truck that Menaces Nemesis built? He has a bunch of pix here @ https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-little-black-truck-deuce.188391/ I have to say I am not a purist but until I saw those pictures - I couldn't figure out why in the world anybody would chop up a perfectly good 6 or 10 wheel truck. That is a SWEET looking truck! I lifted a picture that is worthy of a share...

LittleBlackDeuce.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is a great truck and so is Hanks Deuce. Google probably comes up with 100 of each, M35 and 5 tons. I like the 809 series too, bobbed.

Goodone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks