• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! Is this bad? (Pic included)

BimmerPower

Banned
I'm in the process of changing oil in my deuce for the first time and noticed this in my transmission. I'm assuming a 1/2" plug goes here? I'm also assuming there is no oil in there :( .

Also, can anyone tell or show me in pictures where to drain the engine oil (there are multiple plugs) and add oil in the transmission? It looks as if the bolt under the main oil pan is the right one but there is also another spot that may be it. I looked at all the TM's but they're not too specific. Thank you!

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

I usually pull both plugs, ensures to get all the old oil out but usually just pulling the one that is lower does the job... as for the transmission plug, most are not there unless you have a fording kit and no oil goes into the housing, rather the casing and there are two spots that you can grease though... should be on the back side of the bell housing either zerks or caps that you will with grease and then screw back on... hope that helps

dabtl

The bell housing plug is in the lower hole. It is kept there unless you are fording in deep water. If you are fording deep water, you remove the plug from the lower hole, it does not go all the way through as does the top hole, and plug the top hole.

Simple.

BimmerPower

Banned
I still don't understand. So the plug that is missing in the picture is normal if i'm fording water, but should be covered if i'm just driving around? And the plug next to it is the transmission drain plug? Sorry for the questions but this is a first for me.

ctmustang

If I remember correctly the hole with the plug is just a holder for the plug. if going through deep water take it out of its present location and put it in the other hole. :idea:

Jetnoise400

The hole in your picture goes into the bellhousing where your clutch and flywheel lives. It's supposed to be open. You don't want oil in there... bad for business. The hole exists because if you were turning your deuce into a naval vessel (fording) you would want to plug that hole to avoid filling your bellhousing with water... also bad for business.

So, NOT fording, hole open to atmosphere, GOOD. Fording, hole open to atmosphere, BAD.

BTW, all the manuals for your truck are on the site free for the downloading. I highly recommend taking the time to get them and read through them. They really help demystify the inner workings of any MV.

Reactions: emr

DieselBob

I still don't understand. So the plug that is missing in the picture is normal if i'm fording water, but should be covered if i'm just driving around? And the plug next to it is the transmission drain plug? Sorry for the questions but this is a first for me.
It is fine the way it is for normal driving, open hole. The plug next to the open hole is not the transmission drain. it simply is a storage boss to keep the plug in. You would move the plug from where it is and install it in the open hole if you where going to ford deep water.

BimmerPower

Banned
Thank you for the explanation you all. One more thing... where is the transmission drain and fill!? I did read the lub order on it but it was not very specific. Thanks again everyone

roscoe

Bimmerpower, I just changed mine. I'd remove both oil pan plugs. Lots more oil dumped out when I removed the second one. There is also a drain on the filter housing base. Take your time with the filters - the rubber gaskets can be a pain. Get a BIG bucket and be ready to move with that first plug.

Hey BP,

When I first got my deuce I was reading in the old forum and one of the guys saved my driveway as I was contemplating draining my oil.

The posting from the guy told of using a 5 gal bucket under the front one first and let 'er rip! It filled up the bucket and overflowed on the driveway. Then slopped all over trying to move it out from under the truck - or something to that effect.

Anyway,

If you only have one drain bucket/pan, put it under the back one and drain that first. Then empty that drain receptacle and then drain the front one.

I used a 5 gal bucket and emptied it before doing the front one. Much easier to handle without slopping all over you and the ground.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you really should read the manuals. if you don't get it, read them again. there will be lots of other stuff you will learn, like where the brake fluid goes;)

tom

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Whatsupwitdis? Tsmall asked the question 2 years ago and finally gets scolded now? Time warp. :)
Had more important scolding to take care of, like "what is the red button on my deuce for", or"I have been driving me deuce for a while, can I cover the door thingy on the floor with a carpet" or " We started my new deuce, how do I shut it off from the cab", ect, ect, ect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks