• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help: M923a2 tranny whine

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Hey y'all, after a short cruise tonight I noticed something strange just developed;

I usually downshift my truck when stopped into 1-4, because I like to get it up to speed, back halfway out of the throttle and ease it into 5th. Well, after 20 miles of normal driving, and about to leave the gas station I put it in 1-5 and all is normal, but pulled into 1-4 and suddenly I hear an ever so slight whine noise, and could slightly feel like a light buzzing through the shifter. Almost like a powersteering unit is slightly low on a 1/2 truck.
Checked all my fluids again, everything was fine, maybe just the slightest over on the warm mark for tranny.

Truck drives fine, shifts normal (always thought 4th and 5th shifted a little soft compared to the others), just changed the spin on tranny filter and replaced the oil with 15w40 Allison spec motor oil.

Prior to me owning it, the truck had last been serviced in 2007 by the military, and surplussed out in 2014 where it was driven around a field in Texas once a week never over 15mph. I purchased it, and drove it 860 miles home and started changing all the fluids. Tranny fluid was pale brown/tan like clean motor oil, didn't smell funny when changing it.
Any tips or pointers here?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They make noise. Sometimes you just can't hear it over the truck. You can isolate it by putting the transfer case in neutral and bringing it up to speed and see of it is infact the trans. Transfer cases can cry at times too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

quickfarms

There is also a filter inside of the transmission pan.

Allison recommends either dextron or there synthetic transmission fluid. The military ran engine oil in them for simplicity

Reducing the throttle on the last shift can cause the transmission not to shift properly.

You should read the Allison operators manual

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks