• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP ME!!! broke front axle (i think)

fletcher

PLEASE HELP ME!!! ya, i think i broke a front axle shaft. was moving a 77 ft. trailer house and POP. the front drive shaft turns, but the wheels dont. now does any one have any info i can use on taking this apart? i have never been into one of these,. are they very hard? i have done some GM 10 bolts and dana 60. so any info or how to's on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys, love the site, and keep up the good work

wehring

texas

I don't know how far from Houston you are but if you will get the parts I will be happy to help you fix it.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing special about the 2 1/2 ton axle, it's just bigger than the Dana 60. Just tear into it until you find the exploded parts and then get ready to give the credit card a workout.

503m715

Red river parts and equipment in New Boston TX. have good take out shafts for around 150-175. It depends on long or short side. I think hubs are around 35$, They should have any thing else you may need. 903-547-2226.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tech manuals are availible under "resources". All the info you need.

Hopefully, you only broke a U joint.

Barneyszoo

Alot of time the axle will break at the splines in the 3rd member (pumpkin) not to hard to fix. Sometimes the hard part is getting the little peace of broken axle out. You might need a magnet on a long stick or bar. Wish I was closer would love to help, good luck.

Keith_J

Carquest has the 3" socket. You need one to service the front wheel bearings anyway.
SOME Carquests...none in San Antonio or Austin :-(. So I made my own, worked fine over the weekend for the double deuce service party and New Year's Celebration. Only it wasn't deep enough for the front axles so we used an oil filter wrench.

DanMartin

Here's the thread with step-x-step instructions for a boot swap (just go to the part where the axle is free).

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8460-front-axle-seals-boots-stepxstep.html

In fact, you'll probably want to replace the boot on that side if it's at all damaged or cracked, as you'll have it all apart anyway...get one from OD Iron or Saturn.

The socket is a KD Tools OTC1907

The NAPA part number for the 3" socket is: KDS2445

Should run you about $20-25 tops.

Last edited:

fletcher

we hooked the ass end up to a CAT D6 and lifted it up off the ground and then picked up the front with a 950 loader. i put it in gear trying to see if we could get any movement in the front axle. the drivers side slightly turned, so we guessed the passenger side was the broken one. we took it apart today and sure enough it was the passenger side. turns out that it twisted the inner splines and then sheared off. every thing came apart real easy. too easy. so now i get to order parts. and while waiting we are deciding to relocate the diesel tank and battery box into the bed. and the reroute the exhaust into the bed and run dual 5" stacks. (its going to be cool) it will match the roll bar we did. so any way.. thanks ALOT everyone! u guys were a lot of help. keep up the good work

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd kinda like to see the roll bar myself. If you could post some pics I would appreciate it.

You just never know.

Glad you found the problem.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks