• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with H1 purchase

dirtyfingernails

Off MV subject sort of, but. I am considering buying an H1 (the military HMMWV is too austere for me at my age--I need AC). My price range is under 50K. Preferably 40K. What do I need to look for? Are all Hummer H1s essentially the same? Will I have a difficult or impossible time finding someone qualified to work on the truck? I'm a good wrench turner, but I don't know about this beast at all. Do I want a 6.5 liter? I heard that the 6.2s were all replaced by warranty. Please school me. Thanks!

saddamsnightmare

September 25th, 2009.

Good luck in your price range sir, there's a civillian H! ambulance type body around here, 2004 model 16 K miles $60,000. The problem with the civillian H-1's is there are a de rated military version with a different engine and a lot more "stuff" on them. If they are like other civillian vehicles of 2004, a computer workstation might be good. AND if they have CTIS (like the one I saw today), be aware that if one "O" ring leaks, you'll have 4 flats instead of 1. I'll stick to my deuce and Unimog, much simpler machines and the AC is you open all the cab windows. Good luck on your hunt.... I'd love to hear what your insurance is gonna run you as against what I pay for the deuce and the Unimog (both of which are less then my wife's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

dirtyfingernails

Been there and done that with the deuce. Nice trucks for certain and simple, but I've always wanted a HMMWV. I know it's an impractical vehicle, but you only live once and that life is VERY short. Thus, my desire to buy one. I'd prefer some help on what to look for as opposed to admonishement for wanting to do so.

H1's

I've always kept a close eye on the civilian H1 prices as they seem like a neat vehicle to own. The 6.5 ltr Chevy diesel scares the heck out of me though. I know some will state that they have 300k on theirs with no issues but the majority of the ones I have seen have replaced motors. I'd encourage a generic search on craigslist and type in 6.5 diesel. See how many GM trucks have either bad moters that need replaced or are on a rebuilt/replacement with under 150k miles- not my definition of robust. You will be suprised as I found over 10 bad motors/rebuilt motors just for Minneapolis MN CL alone last time. Pull 7.3 Powerstroke and Cummins and check for a comparison for durability as you will have a hard time finding a rebuilt/bad motor. The H1 is unique enough that I can live with the 6.5 diesel's short lifespan but personally I would pad your price that an engine replacement will come up at some point if you keep it awhile. I think the 6.5's like to run hot and the cooling pkg the H1 had didn't help. I'm sure someone who knows H1's will chime in but thats my experience of 6.5's in the civilian world and of a few guys I knew that had them. Good luck with your search!

Andy

dirtyfingernails

Andy,
Interesting take on the engine. I currently own an F250 with the powerstroke 6.0 and love it. I don't really know chevys. What engine does the HMMWV use? I was under the impression that the same motor was in both civy and military versions. Maybe I need to rethink this purchase. I've been watching classifieds all over Florida. Trucks in the 10 to 15 years of age range with about 100,000 miles are going for 25 to 50k. If the engine needs replacement at 120,000 miles that stinks!

The Hummer Network Forums :: Index

everything you ever wanted to know plus more =)

Stay away form the 6.2 for the civi model. I would recommended the 6.5TD. You have lots of options and plenty of nice truck in that price range: buyers market right now. Also shay away from the older trucks that do not have updated AC units-or you will be spending lots of cash for the upgrades in the near future.

Snarky

The 6.2 and the 6.5 are junk motors but I feel like majority of the problems with them are with people riding them too hard and lack of PM. You can get 300k out of these engines, you just have to not drive it like a maniac and follow the maintenance guide lines. Yeah you'll probably have to replace something expensive once in a while, but the engine should never be a total write off unless you kept driving like you stole it or waited 10,000 between every oil change on vehicles that generally have undersized filtration systems.

If you went with the 6.2 you could probably get a bunch of replacements from GL and keep them in the backyard to replace every 30,000 miles :twisted:

Last edited:

B3.3T

The problem I have seen with H1 is all the sellers thing like Harley and Corvette owners; even though there are tons out there, they all think theirs is something entirely special, and hence worth more than it is.

ABN173

One of my soldiers bought a used H2 in great shape for 24k. There are deals out there, and as stated earlier it is a buyers market right now. Of course when he was showing it off to my platoon I said "whatever, mine is paid for and it has blackout drive lights and rifle racks" It was really nice though with leather heated seats even.

Good Luck,
Dale

Last edited:

Stalwart

The problem with the civillian H-1's is there are a de rated military version with a different engine and a lot more "stuff" on them.

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D
I have a 1993 Civilian Hummer and mine is not derated! You are perpetuating an old myth, AM General could make improvements to the civilian rigs at will, for the military they would have to get Mil Spec. approval. The early HMMWV's had 1 1/4 ton payload capacity and inferior hub design that caused wheel separation at speed. Mine came with a 2 ton payload (yes, 2 is larger than 1.25) and the upgraded hubs. I agree you want the 6.5TD and the 4 speed auto, mine tops out at 72 mph with the 6.2 and 3 speed auto.

I was one of 20 people that ordered CARC 383 green from the factory, they dropped it because 75% complained it wouldn't shine. I'll be selling mine in the near future, only 20k miles :-(

ABN173

I was one of 20 people that ordered CARC 383 green from the factory, they dropped it because 75% complained it wouldn't shine. I'll be selling mine in the near future, only 20k miles :-(
Wow....I always wanted a mil version or a look alike, why on Earth would you want a shiny off-road vehicle? I still hope that one day they will start selling them through GL so the price on the military ones could come down some. The way prices are now I would have better luck finding the Holy Grail (or a M60 Tank hidden in bushes behind a NAPA like Frodo did).

Last edited:

tommygun

I had a 1999 H1 4 door hardtop with a slantback cap on it . I drove it everyday for about 3 years . It was high maintenence compared to say a 99 chevy truck , it has about 28 grease fittings. Parts are pretty pricey. I had to replace 2 ball joints , inner and outer hub seals (1st owner didnt do any P.M. ) Had to replace , glow plugs,controller ,and thermostats (2 at $56 EACH) Truck is very cramped under hood making it difficult to access some areas. My insurance was not to much higher than for ordinary truck .
My advice , If you want one get it. As was said life is short ,God never promised us a tomorrow , so make good use of today. PS After I belive 2000 AM General upgraded block to prevent block from cracking

Stalwart

Wow....I always wanted a mil version or a look alike, why on Earth would you want a shiny off-road vehicle? I still hope that one day they will start selling them through GL so the price on the military ones could come down some. The way prices are now I would have better luck finding the Holy Grail (or a M60 Tank hidden in bushes behind a NAPA like Frodo did).
Very unlikely, AM General would have a cow. When they sell a civilian vehicle they figure in the price their insurance costs, and product liability (injury, death, normal ambulance chaser stuff). AM General never collected that money for the HMMWV because they were off the hook because it was built in accordance with the military contract and specifications. If they get into the wild AM General would be on the hook for injuries from accidents, HMMWV's not having safety features that are required under law.

They SHOULD surplus them but I just think they won't for the above reason.

ABN173

Very unlikely, AM General would have a cow. When they sell a civilian vehicle they figure in the price their insurance costs, and product liability (injury, death, normal ambulance chaser stuff). AM General never collected that money for the HMMWV because they were off the hook because it was built in accordance with the military contract and specifications. If they get into the wild AM General would be on the hook for injuries from accidents, HMMWV's not having safety features that are required under law.

They SHOULD surplus them but I just think they won't for the above reason.
There are lots of gov vehicles without any safety features that get out, cucv's, Deuces, 5tons etc... I'm sure there are reasons but I don't think it is about safety at least not entirely. It's not like the M35A3's being sold have airbags or anything, ya know?

Stalwart

M35A5's don't but neither do big trucks in the civilian market. The HMMWV is desireable to a broader market, I know AM General got their panties in a wad when those Marine Corps HMMWV's came out a few years back, they were pissed!

BLK HMMWV

H2 ??

A used H2 isn't even in the same league as a well used, beat up, blown up trashed , HMMWV.
That thing is on a Denali chassis , or is it Tahoe.
What ever it's a POS and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as a HMMWV

Oops looks like I just did it.

ABN173

A used H2 isn't even in the same league as a well used, beat up, blown up trashed , HMMWV.
That thing is on a Denali chassis , or is it Tahoe.
What ever it's a POS and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as a HMMWV

Oops looks like I just did it.
Agreed, I only mentioned it for two reasons:

1. as a cost comparison since a new one a few years ago cost 60k

2. and also since the poster mentioned wanting extras like AC

Personally I just want a Desert Storm era M998 a 4 seater type with soft doors.

-Dale

BLK HMMWV

H1 yes H2 no

Dale
I guess you really mean he bought a used H1
They look about the same and have the same frame.
And most parts bolt on.
The H2 doesn't and the H3 is worse.
I'd still let him in the club with a H1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks