• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with transfer case input seal

DatGuyC

So today I pulled my transfer case to replace all the input/output seals because they were leaking pretty bad. I pulled off the input shaft seal retainer and noticed that the seal that's in there is different than the replacement I have from eriks, NSN 5330001438666. It seems to have 3 lips and a spring on the very inside to help seal it against the shaft. I did some researching and found an old thread that mentioned part number C/R 23710 as the input seal, and that seems to more closely resemble what is currently in there. Should I get another aftermarket seal or can I use the military seal that the TM calls for? While testing the military seal on the shaft to see if it did indeed fit I noticed that it is a much tighter seal than the old one, but that might just be because the old one worn a bit. Attached are some pictures of the old seal in the retainer.

This is an air shift case.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......and noticed that the seal that's in there is different than the replacement I have from Erik's, NSN 5330001438666. It seems to have 3 lips and a spring on the very inside to help seal it against the shaft. I did some researching and found an old thread that mentioned part number C/R 23710 as the input seal, and that seems to more closely resemble what is currently in there.....
The one you pictured still installed is not original. Don't know about the one from Erik's - although that NSN is correct. You can find the mil specs listed here and compare...

Shaft diameter is 2.375" and bore = 3.350". The housing depth is almost .75"; more then enough for the original mil. seal which is about .65" wide.

A C/R 23710 seal will work fine. Other well known brand-options are: Victor 47431; Timken 410101S; Clark TA2-2.375-3.350-0.437.
Note that all are nitrile, double lip, encased construction.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks