• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Wheel bolt torque value?

wehring

I have been looking for an hour on here. Anyone know the torque value for the HEMTT wheel studs? The ones that bolt the wheel together.

Putting some together tomorrow for a friend. Any info on tricks? i.e. rtv on the seal, etc. These need to be trouble free after assembly.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I put one of my 395s on to see what they would look like. I used no rtv, just the gasket it came with and tightened the bolts down. No torque value, just good and snug. Months later it still has full pressure. I know this isn't the right answer, but...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't be an idiot like me. Make sure you install the valve stem first. Imagine my surprise, when I bolted it together and then went to inflate!

• Haha
Reactions: HDN

Andy1234

I used dish soap on the o-ring to lubricate it, as well as on the beads of the tires (16.00's).

I used a Dewalt electric impact gun to tighten the nuts, and then went around with a 1" breaker bar to give them a final tightening. Work around the bolt pattern in a star pattern, don't do one after the other. I would guesstimate that I was applying 150 ft-lbs of force, maybe 175.

When inflating them, stand them up vertically, the beads seat effortlessly.

Also, check the valve stem hole for sharp edges and burrs before installing the valve stem.

Andy

FL_Frank

Very good tips Andy, thanks! Just got my MVT 395s mounted on a set of HEMTTs and took quite a bit of dish soap mix and patience. Had to guess on the torque spec, but only have 10lbs in the tires to keep the beads seated until I found that part out.

Had a few instances where the HEMTTs were nicked near the bead, so filed them down smooth to prevent a leak.

Other than the sheer grunt work of assembling and moving them (they get a tad heavy), it was an enjoyable afternoon.

-Frank

Stalwart

According to the HEMTT TM the correct torque for the bolts that connect the two wheel halves togetther is 450-500 ft.lb. :shock: You must understand this wheel is designed to have more than the weight of a deuce on it in offroad conditions. So pick a smaller number . . .

At least you don't have to tighten your front lug nuts to 600!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks