• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hendersond's M38a1C

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hauled home what I believe is a M38a1C. Mine is the red-ish one with the "roll bar". HndrsonJ got the M38a1. Jim made the deal for us.
I spent 12 hours pounding dents, cutting out the bad and welding in some patches. I'm guessing another 12 hour day and the outside of the tub will be fairly solid again. Someone patched the notch on the windshield and added the Ford tailgate. It also has the flathead and was converted to 12v.
I will have to do some reading as I'm not a M38a1 Guru.
940 miles home, but smiling all the way.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the eyelashes on HendersonJ's Jeep. Please ask him to keep those.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hauled home what I believe is a M38a1C. Mine is the red-ish one with the "roll bar". HndrsonJ got the M38a1. Jim made the deal for us.
I spent 12 hours pounding dents, cutting out the bad and welding in some patches. I'm guessing another 12 hour day and the outside of the tub will be fairly solid again. Someone patched the notch on the windshield and added the Ford tailgate. It also has the flathead and was converted to 12v.
I will have to do some reading as I'm not a M38a1 Guru.
940 miles home, but smiling all the way.
Prolly the best $400 you ever spent!

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could turn it into something really nice if you want to and have the funds too. Seen a few M38A1Cs fully restored, they come out nice when done right

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it looks like I committed. Lotsa new parts on the way. Looks like I have 100% of the brake parts here now. Engine is torn down, ready to go to machine shop. I will hold off on the gun for now.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it looks like I committed. Lotsa new parts on the way. Looks like I have 100% of the brake parts here now. Engine is torn down, ready to go to machine shop. I will hold off on the gun for now.
Jump into the deep end of the pool and order the gun.....

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Interesting springs. I'm told it was part of the M38a1C conversion.
At the Benning TACP in 64-65 the AF sent us 2 Air Force blue, Marine Corps procured M38A1s that were VC 104s, As indicated on the data plates. They were used for TACP radio jeeps and used a MRC 108 radio type of setup. They both had the same spring setup on them as your Jeep. The radios were heavy and we needed extra springs. You can do a search for "VC 104" and you will find info on the jeep. Not to be confused the "VC' stood for "Vehicular Communications" not "Viet Cong".

P.S. As we were assigned to TACP, ALO, G3 Air, 2ID we were located in a building next to the G1. When the commanding general of the 2ID saw the blue jeeps it only took me a couple of hours the find a motor pool to repaint them to Army OD. I will not repeat what the G1 said.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I struggled to produce good welds on torn sheet metal with my big welder. The heat settings are adjusted by a dial with 10 settings, the wire speed is infinite. The best was lowest setting with 0.023" wire with an aluminum heat sink clamped to the back side. I have to pull the gun a long way away to reduce the heat while stitching. Deuce tin so much thicker.
Good reason to buy a reconditioned trade in from the miller dealer. Paid $275 for a Millermatic 135 with a new gun and regulator! ;-)

PS. sold a set of Humvee wranglers for 300 this morning. It is a good day.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I better go out and make sure my Millermatic 135 is still in my garage I guess....

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is still there. I thought yours was converted to a 6 pack refrigerator. The one I purchased actually got used.

Next time you come over you'll need to maintain a distance of >20' from any of my body work. It's a rule.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I struggled to produce good welds on torn sheet metal with my big welder. The heat settings are adjusted by a dial with 10 settings, the wire speed is infinite. The best was lowest setting with 0.023" wire with an aluminum heat sink clamped to the back side. I have to pull the gun a long way away to reduce the heat while stitching. Deuce tin so much thicker.
Good reason to buy a reconditioned trade in from the miller dealer. Paid $275 for a Millermatic 135 with a new gun and regulator! ;-)

PS. sold a set of Humvee wranglers for 300 this morning. It is a good day.
I've got 6 Humvee wranglers, 4 mounted, two dismounted and two partial rims. Got to sell them one of these days. It's either that or buy a humvee...

FrankUSMC

That looks like the complete rear spring set up on a M38A1C. I have one here the hardest part for me to find was the spare tire carrier for the side. On the rear springs, I got super lucky, I was just getting ready to by a "complete set" from a guy, but a friend found a NOS set, I bought the NOS set, then found out the other set was not complete, so happy I did not buy them!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: I just sold the M38A1C to a guy an hour away today. It has a froze up engine in a basket. It was hard to part with, but HndrsnJ promised me his complete and much cleaner M38a1.
Stay Tuned...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks