• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here I go again new M1009

CPAPPY

Just brought home a M1009 from Pa. fire Dept. GSA Stated motor problem and steering problems . Put in one new battery and she started right up after about a min. of running a mouse came running out with one of her baby's , and as for as steering cant find anything wrong . There is a noise coming from the front axle sound like a bearing . Interior not to bad. Need to find a front brush guard so if anyone has one close please IM me . I know I said my M1028 was my final project , but I am addicted to these vehicles . The body on the 09 is in good shape small amount of rust around passenger side rear wheel well. Will need new exhaust .Well here are some pictures. :p

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw this and thought.. wasn't he saying it was his last one?

And there you go again. NOT A SLAM or anything, because I also love these truck the same as you, just not as skilled at fixing them up as you are.

LOVE THE SCORE. Do understand what you said about 'the boss'.

We await the transformation. Good on ya, mate.

CPAPPY

Update Friday I started looking into the noise in the front end and found out that my bearing where bad in the hub, trying to take apart hub from the spindle was a pain in the rear, the driver side spindle was galled some. The passenger side locking nut was seized to the tapered bearing so I had to take a carbide drill and split the nut . OK now to remove hub from spindle the tapered bearing was welded to spindle so I had to take a small carbide drill and drill next to the inner race of the bearing, then take a 5/16 carbide drill and drill through the center of the flange then take a tapered punch and split the tapered bearing expanding it from the spindle and keep working my way around the spindle until it broke from the spindle that was a job . Now that both spindle are bad and all bearing are bad Ive decided to just buy a new complete axle assembly. Should received it by the end of the week .

CPAPPY

New complete axle

Received my new axle Thursday , Cleaned it up some and painted it this morning . I was surprised it was so clean, minimal clean up on the rotor they where primed red , it took about 5 min to clean the primer off per wheel . I will be using my old calipers and keeping the new ones in case I need them down the line . All I need is a new stabilizer cylinder. The axle came complete minus that. I did find a Brush guard a member of SS SpecWarSquid lives about 45 Min's away . Well in search of a Black out Marker assy. and a Dust cap protector for the 24 v system in front . Also looking for a pintle hook and bracket. assy . So if anyone has one give me a buzz. :smile:

Attachments

CPAPPY

Yes the 09 overall is in good shape, with exception of the axle . I thought it would be much cheaper to just buy a complete axle for less then $ 400.00 + shipping . I think I will be removing the body to clean up the frame and painting the underside of the vehicle & frame
cleaning the motor and replacing any gaskets and then painting, I will be adding a 2-3 " lift when the cab is off. Adding 35" tires also herculiner the floor boards or equivalent material, more than likely making the interior black . Camouflage paint maybe base coat clear if I can make it look right will just have to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks