• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

here's one for ya. wont start

dmilkman589

ok so the story goes. it was very cold. about 15 er 20. i went too start the cucv. cycled the plugs. went too turn her over, and like normal didnt go, but normally i get her on the 2nd glow plug cycle. so that what i did. cycled them again and went too try firing it up. she started crankin over and then just after i got a crazy garglin noise coming from what im thinkin was the starter. when it was makin the funky noise it wasnt turing over. now when i try turing the key the relay inside the truck clicks but nothing else anywhere!!?? no turning over no garglin just a relay clickin inside the cab. what you think? bad starter bad starter solenoid maybe melted some ignition wires somewhere i have no idea. but what the heck was that wierd garglin noise when the truck stopped turning over?

TCUCV

dmilk,

You might want to take a look at your starter...mine actually broke the bolts off holding it up when I went to start it one morning. Its better to catch it lose before the bolts are broken. I'm sure there is a place that would rebuilt your starter for you as well, cheaper than trying to find a 24 volt starter. Good luck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sizzling sounds, are often cable ends or battery terminals, melting/arcing out.

Clean and inspect all of your heavy battery cables.

Cold weather causes low battery voltage and higher friction, and that means higher amps drawn, and that means weak connections fail.

southdave

Maybe fuel gelled???? your box filter has a heating element that works in conjunction with GP.. but like DH said batteries could be the issue mine will not crank over unless I have 12 Volts on each battery @ 70 degrees

ralbelt

Jelled fuel won't cause this, and thereis no tether.

Do the DH relay fix , clean all battery connections, shiney clean with wire brush and emery cloth , make sure batteries are fully charged and report back.

dmilkman589

the relay is clicking so im thinkin its goodd. cause when i put in a new relay it still does the same thingg. i would go through with the dg fix but i dont wanna spend money if i dont have too. im cheap as **** i guess

dmilkman589

alright you guys are all smart im a dumm a. im pretty much 100 percent sure the dh mod will fix it. i was studdying the elictircal schimatic and it should do the trick. the little black relay thats clicking is the gp relay... not starter. so you guys are awesome. ill let you know how i make outt.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To properly diagnose this, you need to use a volt meter or test light.

The sound is no indication of continuity or voltage present.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks