• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey to the Deuce world, can someone check my understanding of North Carolina?

greenjeepster

I just got my first bobbed Deuce and once its got some brake work done I need to look into registration, plates, insurance.

So far this is my understanding:
-Since it was purchased from a dealer and has a title I DO NOT need to do the SF-97

-Since mine is bobbed and 2 axle, I can do a weighted Antique plate and only drive it "occasionally" (Ill drive it a ton when I first get it for sure!)

- I can put a 1970 plate on it since that is the year it is, or just paint my plate numbers on the bumpers in military fashion (I think I read that on the boards here)

-State Farm wants to do a commercial policy (I dont want farm b/c of the mileage restriction and I live in an apartment while in school) but a commercial policy wont affect any fees with the DMV b/c they are separate

-No CDL b/c of the dual axles

Thanks for the help!

Lots of changes planned including taking off that bed!
If you haven't read this thread yet, it will answer most of your questions.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/48268-stopped-ncshp.html

wb1895

Brent,

That was my thread. Heres the poop here in NC....

You MUST have a tag that covers the weight of the truck AND anything that you may be hauling, So that means that you will need a "weighted" tag and you must purchase the weight that you will need.

I have a State Farm commercial policy on my deuce and I can say that so far they are the cheapest that I have found.

As long as your truck does not have a GVRW of 26,001Lbs and does not have a third axle then you dont have to have a NC fuel decal.

And no you dont need a CDL. and no inspections needed.

Other than that you should be good. Oh, and as mentioned above a SF-97 is just a US govt issued title. So, if the truck already has a title then you are fine.

deuce_09

IIRC someone on here recently used a 101 bed on a bobber and I think it turned out better than a 105 bed.

As far as a deuce bed on a chevy, well its neither but its a military bed on a civy truck, and it looks **** good.

snowjan2009017.jpg picture by squads51 - Photobucket
that truck looks badass.could u pm me some info on that bed?
like how long it is from the front of the bed to the center of the fender.does it have lights in it how much do they usually cost for just the bed.thanks

KsM715

that truck looks badass.could u pm me some info on that bed?
like how long it is from the front of the bed to the center of the fender.does it have lights in it how much do they usually cost for just the bed.thanks

I wish I could but its just a link I found on the web. I dont know who owns it.

Edit: After re-reading your post, are you asking about the bed on that dodge? Or do you want specs on a stock 101 bed?

Last edited:

DeuceNewb

to answer your questions -

Since it was purchased from a dealer and has a title I DO NOT need to do the SF-97 ---- correct, that is only when you buy from gov and don't have a title.

-Since mine is bobbed and 2 axle, I can do a weighted Antique plate and only drive it "occasionally" (Ill drive it a ton when I first get it for sure!)
You could, but doesn't getting an antique tag limit you? I also think you can't get a weighted antique, it's either one or the other. I run a normal, nothing special, license plate on both my deuces and the cucv, no problems because i don't tow anything or haul.

- I can put a 1970 plate on it since that is the year it is, or just paint my plate numbers on the bumpers in military fashion (I think I read that on the boards here)
I don't think you can do the painted numbers in this state. You can run the 1970 plate on it, but you have to have the current registered plate with you to show whenever asked.

-State Farm wants to do a commercial policy (I dont want farm b/c of the mileage restriction and I live in an apartment while in school) but a commercial policy wont affect any fees with the DMV b/c they are separate

why do commercial? I use geico and get regular insurance for pretty cheap, with no restrictions.

-No CDL b/c of the dual axles
CDL is not related to dual axles. The reason the deuce doesn't have cdl requirements is because it doesn't have full air brakes.

Brentzilla

Ill check into a regualar tag then, itd be nice to have no restrictions if the price isnt ridiculous.

Ill look into the painted number issue too because Id much rather have that or find a cool old 1970's plate and leave the real one in the cab.

As far as the commercial insurance thats what everyone is making me have some b/c of the weight over 10k lbs (most bobbed deuces Ive read run about 10.5k) or because of the vehicals original manufacture purpose.

Here are the rates Ive been quoted so far for six months, SF and USAA covered all, rest were liability only.
SF $260
USAA $300

Liability Only:
Geico $201
Allstate $307
Progressive $292

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that helps narrow down finding a trailer bed, hopefully it wont be to hard to get one. Now if I put a 105 on it, they seem to be A LOT easier to find, it would just take a little work to move the axle to fit correct?

The exhaust is running out the back behind the right pass tire but Id life to turn it back to the single stack
depends on how you define "a little work" and the fact that the frame rails may have already been cut too short as you are looking at moving the rear springs back more than a foot.

deuce_09

depends on how you define "a little work" and the fact that the frame rails may have already been cut too short as you are looking at moving the rear springs back more than a foot.
if u weld on some more frame and bolt an 8"x12" or so steel plate over the weld it should be plenty strong.the bed isnt heavy enough to put stress on the frame.as far as pullin something behind the truck, if he does it right, it should have no problem. my dad fixed an 18wheeler frame that snaped the same way and he used it for like 2 weeks pullin loads before the compay did somethin with it.but it never broke. just make sure u got the frame strait and weld it on both sides,grind the weld flat, then bolt the plate on there. bolt it like a zig zag WW not like this :: :: know what i mean? just my opinion. u dont have to do it.

Brentzilla

I got Pete from John Winslow Sales, in Halifax, NC is gonna come over and look at the truck when the brakes and seals are fixed. Ill see what he says on the lenght and I might have to settle for the 101.

Thanks

Brentzilla

UPDATE PICS!

Just picked it up after the 105 installation, remounting of the fuel tank, and paint. She looks good so far. I have a few things I might tweek like painting the rear all tan, removing the cargo bow extensions, led headlight install, and some other small things. I also havent decided if I like the bed up so high but thats how it is for now.

Day 1, Month 1, Today pictures

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks