• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hiab 026T crane install

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Came upon a Hiab 026T loader crane for a decent price locally.

Decided to take a bit of a risk on it, it had been a back yard find by a new home owner a few months ago, and he wanted it gone.

Crane.jpg

Bit rusty in a few spots, so it's gonna need a paint job at least. Manual extension boom sections are missing or were never there, but it's got a hydraulic winch mounted on it.

Took the caps off the hydraulic lines and the oil is clear and still there. Valves all move and return to neutral.

Next step is to get it stood back up and on a pallet to test the hydraulics and see how much paint is needed before figuring out how to mount it on the back of the M923. (To replace the shop crane that's there.)

I'll keep updating as I move into this project.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, got the crane out of the truck and on the ground.

Then stood it up and bolted it to it's temporary home while hydraulic testing and painting happens.
WP_20160818_19_36_21_Pro.jpg

Of course the bonus hydraulic winch sprays oil out this little puppy constantly, so apparently I need to find it's manual and not just the crane's to test properly.
WP_20160818_20_14_26_Pro.jpg

Or just remove it from the circuit. Which is more likely in the short term.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, got it to stop spraying oil everywhere by reading the manual and hooking the hoses up correctly.

And of course the boom wouldn't extend both sections. Looking at it I had an idea it was just rusted in place, so I dumped about a can of PBBlaster down the boom and let it soak over night.

No problems getting the boom out this morning.
WP_20160820_12_02_30_Pro.jpg

Like I said, some rust that needed to be addressed.
WP_20160820_12_14_01_Pro.jpgWP_20160820_12_13_50_Pro.jpg

Some wire wheel time...

Boom up (not even all the way, but it became too hard to brace much higher than this).
WP_20160820_16_55_00_Pro.jpg

Of course, get it up there, and something plugs the return line and the safety sprays oil. All over the hood.
WP_20160820_17_11_45_Pro.jpg

Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna brace it to the bed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In building a crane in the bed of my deuce, expect whatever bracing you install, to be insufficient and need more.

I used a 5/8 plate under the bed and when I tested the crane the bed and plate flexed! I ended up adding some angle iron and a diagonal "hold" on the upper section of the mast. Solid as a rock now, if you don't notice the whole bed flexing on its spring mounts. I am figuring out - outriggers for the bed now.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

This truck has a winch up front so I assume its the original pto pump, there is a transfer valve but I have not checked to see how it is plumbed.
This was already on the truck when I bought it recently so I am still learning but will help yall if I can..

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same here, I've got the wet kit off a marine truck and a winch from a 925 already installed. Just ordered a Prince selector valve in 3/4" and once I figure out where to mount it I'll order the rest of the fitting and hoses. And them play fitting Jenga round III with the existing winch valve.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally had a weekend to do a bit of work, and discovery that I'd mis-ordered some of the lines / fittings.

WP_20161001_16_51_08_Pro.jpg

Got the selector valve mounted, and most of the lines run. Just missing the one to the winch valve, and a fitting to connect the one from the pump.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, had to re-do the selector valve to make it look at bit neater.

WP_20161010_20_31_50_Pro.jpg

Need to weld the hose clamps on. And fab the extra bed support.

But as with anything, my welder had an alternate idea:
WP_20161009_17_32_06_Pro.jpg

So instead of working on the truck, I get to learn how good Miller's warranty and customer service is. Under 2 hours arc time on the unit.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the welder re-appeared last weekend after a 3 week trip in for repair.

So got one of the supports for under the bed put together:
WP_20161029_13_24_35_Pro.jpg

Strangely, I don't have a picture of the other one. It was more complicated as it integrated the rear mudflat support angle iron.

And none of them installed, but I'll get to that.

Lifted the crane into position last night.
WP_20161106_16_52_39_Pro.jpg

And it's sitting just in position just in front of the soon to be gone flange mount.
WP_20161106_18_12_53_Pro.jpg

Now, the bed cover was to short to clear the crane, so it got raised ~9 inches.
WP_20161106_18_45_28_Pro.jpg

Lot easier to walk around in their now. Hopefully I don't find any new low branches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks