• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Highway speed

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contained herein are some photos of a M275A2 2-1/2 ton deuce tractor pulling a M313 6 ton expando van trailer that was involved in a collision. The trailer was heavily loaded with radio equipment. A civilian tractor trailer rear ended this combination probably going considerably faster than it was. The M275 was probably not traveling fast enough and was not well lit enough for the conditions it was in. The accident happened late at night in the dark.

The trailer's suspension is broken and disconnected from the frame. The kingpin is broken off in the fifth wheel, which is mangled. The trailer hit the cab of the truck after the kingpin broke and fell on its passenger side. Apparently the tractor spun around completely and the trailer struck the tractor again on the front. There is a spare axle hanging from the winch of the tractor.

The M275 driver was killed and the other driver was hurt as well. I won't say who this was or where it was out of respect to the person's friends and family. What is to be taken away from this is that thought should be given as to your route, time of travel, and sustainable speed that you can travel at.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another takeaway is just because we are former military, we are not exempted from compliance! I see so many DOT violations on the rig I lost count. Why isn't the IV cable plugged in? Where are the clearance lamp bulbs and bezels on the rear of the trailer?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another takeaway is just because we are former military, we are not exempted from compliance! I see so many DOT violations on the rig I lost count. Why isn't the IV cable plugged in? Where are the clearance lamp bulbs and bezels on the rear of the trailer?
While I can't say for sure, the cable probably was plugged in and the clearance lamps were probably there before the accident. Many of the missing items were removed post accident.

tim292stro

Probably a good idea to convoy up with a rig like that (spoken from the arm-chair seating that is).

[EDIT:] To be more useful (and perhaps more sensative, thank you USAF-CW for the gentler reminder)

Any time anyone passes before their time is is truly saddening, and I do hope the family can find peace and return to happiness soon. I know from my own personal losses that there will always be moments when a situation throws you back into a fleeting flashback that chokes you up, even when we put on the face of healing I think wounds like these leave lasting scars. I hope they are looked at as scars, reminders, memories - not an end - as nothing is thruly ever over.

To the topic of the accident itself, I will say this is not the first rear ender I've read about in the last 12 months, and while the last big one seems to have garnered more poking fun at the expense of SWIFT, I think it is missing a disturbing trend that we should ALL endeavor to mitigate.

Digest this, own it, live it, and then deal with it appropritely:

• Many of these larger trucks and older trucks don't go as fast as newer commercial trucks. We should all take a moment and come to peace with that idea.

• These trucks also have dark or camouflage paint scheames, most civilians are not expecting a vehicle with a flat paint scheme that matches the background to some degree. As such, people will not be looking for them as they are not "expected" - at night this is WAY MORE important.

• Even Federal Lighting Standards are minimums - some of these trucks (especially older ones) don't even meet modern Federal Standards. Age, lack of maintenance, military fixtures which are deliberately not very bright, all of these contribute to less visibility at a distance. NHTSA has always maintained that the more conspicuous the better. However, you can’t add lamps, reflectors or other devices that will interfere with lighting required by the standard.

Considering the above trifecta, it is our responsibilty as military vehicle owners/operators to give everone else out there the best shot at avoiding us on the road. Here and abroad, the MISSION of driving a vehicle is to get it and its contents from point A, to point B, with no damge or losses - everytime. This should be the mindset that every driver should be is as they it down in the driver's seat for a movement. If there is a moment that you think it is unsafe to do so, or you realize that your primary thought is not the above getting from Point A to Point B with no damage or losses (examples: "I'm late... Oh that guy just cut me off... mabye I'll Make it if I push just a little further..."), pull over and take a moment.

I would like to propose a nameless memorial sticker that should be placed in our vehicles in a location visible to the driver at all times, black text 1" high on 483 Federal Yellow background 1.75" high:

"Successful Movement: Point A to Point B - No Damage, No Losses"

This sticker can be our quiet reminder of those who passed, and to look out for ourselves and others travelling with us. It can remind us to look at our vehicle objectively before each movement to consider the route and risks on the road ahead.

Now with that in mind I have some suggestions:

• Military Deliniators are available, they are very reflective - in two sizes: small is about the size of a CUCV fuel door, large is about the size of a Duece mud flap. These can be left on the truck at all times without taking away from the military look.
  • I recognize that the above can be hard to come by for some, so the military already has a fix for you in the form of 2" x 12" red highly refletive tape (this $17-shipped kit is enough for three vehicles!!) in two inward facing "L"s.paint2.jpg These are used often (up to the unit commander) in North America - again it is military so doesn't take away from the look if mounted permanently.
  • If you wish to not permanently affect the look of the truck, at least put something on the outside while you are moving it on the public roads: velcro, snaps, hooks and bungie-cords all work holding on reflective carriers (plastic, fabric, wood, steel). If they are removable, store them somewhere you will see them so that you remember to re-attach them before moving again.
  • Warning lights are a plus - an amber beacon (most comonly called a convoy light) with a high dwell-time flash (LED mostly-on type, tripple or higher flash strobe, or multi lamp rotator) will giver drivers a long warning lead time and help them identify the position of your vehicle easier.
  • Modern LED taillights can be had in 24V fairly cheap relative to retail - they are very bright. If you don't want to replace your compound lights with LED, wire up a home-made towing light set to plug into the trailer plug with 24V consumer LED fixtures.
  • Travel in groups when possible - when a driver sees one military vehicle and then another, they will start looking for more vehicles (it becomes a pattern that sets their expectations). Putting less visible vechicles in the middle of a group and more visible vehicles at the front and rear will help drivers have an idea of where your group begins and ends - again setting expectations.
  • If you don't feel very comfortable with your driving situation, or the driving situation changes for the worse, pull over and reconsider the movement.
  • Always assume that no one else sees you - this goes for any vehicle you drive from motorcycle to semi.

[/EDIT]

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heavenly Father,

We raise our voices in prayer for those who perished in this collision, for the surviving family and friends, and for those who both responded to and will be following up with diligent investigation and other actions. We pray the peace of Your Holy Spirit upon all who have suffered much.

We also ask that we who have hobby interests in and operate these former military vehicles will heed the lessons of this incident without jumping to conclusions or declaring judgment on anyone or anything that may have contributed to this event.

Let us be compassionate for the driver's family and realize that they may be reading what is posted here. Give us the wisdom to think before we post.

Lord, protect all of us and our MV activities. Bless us with Your Divine protection. And bring us all home safely.

In Jesus' name we pray.

AMEN.

gunboy1656

Wow that is tough to see. Wish the persons family the best right now.

This is one of my biggest fears. One big reason why I plan my routes away from interstates (and usually travel with a chase vehicle)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a big fan of amber warning lights to the rear, day or night. Most of our vehicle moves have an M1009 with a full amber light bar as chase vehicle. (Handy as a parts getter if there is a breakdown too!).

For night moves, I also have magnetic lights for the vehicles. They are around 4"x7", LED, bright, battery powered, and come in red or amber. They have selectable steady or flashing. On a solo vehicle at night I will add a couple of steady reds, and at least a couple of flashing ambers (4 is better).

I'll get the manufacturer info off them and add it to this post. You can get them at Lowes and Tractor Supply around here, $18 a pair.

Cheers

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a big fan of amber warning lights to the rear, day or night. Most of our vehicle moves have an M1009 with a full amber light bar as chase vehicle. (Handy as a parts getter if there is a breakdown too!).

For night moves, I also have magnetic lights for the vehicles. They are around 4"x7", LED, bright, battery powered, and come in red or amber. They have selectable steady or flashing. On a solo vehicle at night I will add a couple of steady reds, and at least a couple of flashing ambers (4 is better).

I'll get the manufacturer info off them and add it to this post. You can get them at Lowes and Tractor Supply around here, $18 a pair.

Cheers
Rory,
Thanks for this positive contribution.
Guess I'm headed to Tractor Supply with my Debit Card.......
John

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was getting ready to tow south, the sage advise DH gave me was two words: "Be Seen". I ordered this bright banner and noticed vehicles moving out to pass hundreds of yards back routinely. It worked very well. Just my 2c.

Attachments

RAYZER

I'm about to depart on a 900 mile round trip, some of it being express way.
This is my 4th time for this particular trip and I'm always concerned about not being seen so I try not to travel at night.
Just put some reflective tape on the back.uploadfromtaptalk1412444568361.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those King Pins are in the "Real Tough" category. So is the 5th wheel. Probably when the king pin sheared, the trailer went forward, and a crossmember hooked and bent the 5th wheel. I always have the lights on & have added the required clearance & three bar markers to Medusa. Same on the M105. LEDs are best - they'er brighter. On hills, even when the commercial trucks get slowed up, they run their hazard lights, as all should, especially a Cammo'ed MV.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Sorry to hear. Accidents are never good. I have amber led strobe lights that will run on 24v I have magnets on the back of them and crimped on Packard connectors so I can tap them into the running light circuit and stick them on if needed. They were very inexpensive.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice, be seen. Reflective tape is good, hazards on is BAD and illegal in many states. Remember the brake lights do NOT work if the hazards are on. Interstates are 40 MPH minimum, if possible.
Secondary roads are best.

ke5eua

Very sad indeed.

Reminds me of the HET trip. Shivers go down my spine when I think of how the outcome could have been.

When I was on that little stretch between El Paso and the next city the speed limit jumped to 85. Doing 45 in a 85 is nerve racking. Had the whoopee light on the entire trip, still managed to get hit by a semi.

On the 818 I am installing a 36" traffic advisory led bar. It's bright as all get out. I gave my little stick on lights that flash to my grandfather to use at the camp as they have a white light function, but I do recommend getting some to keep in your trucks.

Also, per DOT regs we should have a full triangle and flare set in our trucks at all times. I recommend the triangles that flash. You can do a google or ebay search for led safety triangle and see what I'm talking about.

My condolences to the family.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks