• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Deep Water Exhaust

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would someone post photos of their deep water exhaust setup, mount, and bolts. I was lucky/unlucky enough to get a NOS exhaust pipe but it doesn't mate up to my M1123. The part number comes up at M1097A1 but doesn't fit right. Did they change the exhaust for the "A2" generation? Bracket and holes are likely different on the exhaust too.

From the photos it seems the exhaust is pushed too far out from the vehicle. Also the bolt holes are too high.

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks pretty close to me. The flange has a donut gasket that swivels and lets it move around a lot. I'm sure that there are rubber bushings that go in the large holes in the body. And they do stick out quite a bit on the armoured trucks. I made my exhaust and mounted mine tightly to the body totally different than a stock unit.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people with those longer ones, cut lower section and had a muffler shop cut it shorter and reweld.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine didn't fit quite right when I installed it in my M1123.
It fit even worse after I took it off roading and rubbed it up against a few trees.

I'll try to remember to get some pics tomorrow, but the "not lining up" issue I managed to resolve by putting a jack under it and lifting it up until the holes were close enough to put bolts through. Haven't had any issues with it after doing that.

Mine is also spaced an extra inch out from the body at the upper mount to clear the EOD body locks, which made the alignment even worse, but it all works.

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is on a 1045A2. They did make a much longer one for those trucks with armor. The lower pipe where it attaches sticks out about 3 inches further than this one does. I also used a top hat rubber bushing with a threaded insert I bought at Lowe's or Home Depot. Be sure you have the bracket under the fender, intended to strengthen the attachment.

IMG_20200320_122405748.jpgIMG_20200320_122440794.jpgIMG_20200320_122251608.jpgIMG_20200320_122230595.jpgIMG_20200320_122350854_HDR.jpgIMG_20200320_122313585.jpg

Reactions: cwc

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measure from the bend to where it attaches and we can compare it to mine. You may have one for an armored vehicle. You could use a spacer of some sort if that is the case or have it cut and rewelded like 86Humv suggested

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Length from the flange to the elbow looks the same but mine has a bend it it compared to yours. The angle of the mount is different and the muffler pipe length to the flange must be different. You can see in the photos the bolt holes on the mounts are different as well (one is high and one low). The upper mount is the same length.

Attachments

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the bend but I think that can be over come. I had to loosen the exhaust pipe at that fitting and then try to line up the holes for the mounting holes in the fender while the exhaust was loose.

It will move and twist around quite a bit, to the point where I thought mine wasn't going to fit either when I first started until I was able to twist the pipe and get the holes lined up.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate it but I'll just have this one reworked. I spent the coin for a nice unit until Fedex dinged it up so it has to go in anyway.
I shipped one to general Hood in Ok and UPS tried to hit me with a $400 surcharge (no joke) because they said the dimensions and weight was off according to their automated scale somewhere in the shipment. Thank fully he still had the box and when I presented the facts to UPS corporate, they backed off. Still cost $100 to ship....

Inspector 1

I just installed my exhaust a few weeks ago. It looks like your exhaust did not come with the mounting hardware. According to the instructions there are two 2" sleeved bushings that mount on the outside between the fender and the exhaust. I originally mounted mine that way per the instructions. My exhaust mating flanges were about 2" apart. My exhaust needed to be mounted up against the outer fender not using the 2" bushings. Due to the bolts being so long I mounted the 2" bushings to the inside of the fender as you can see from pic #2. It would be advisable to purchase the inner fender support also shown in pic #2. ($100.00) The pic was taken from lying under vehicle looking up inside fender well. The fender should have two bushings mounted inside the exhaust mounting holes to cut down on vibration. (Pic # 1) The exhaust that I ordered came with all mounting hardware. I had to modify the use of the hardware but not the exhaust pipe itself. If you need any detailed pics let me know. Best of Hope on your project..

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the through the fender rubber bushings from kascar. Might also want to get a new donought flange gasket while you are at it where the pipe bolts up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks