• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Mysteries

captcarc

Sorry...site technical challenges! I am new to HMMWV's. I've had a deuce and a half and have a 5-ton. Wanted to ask what these 3 things are. 3 hood pins to hold a bracket or something? Center wheel thing? Bracket outside of tailgate? Thank you!!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brackets on hood and rear tailgate are to hold thermal combat Id panels.

They are typically not available and removed when vehicles are stripped of restricted items by drmo.

Brackets on wheels are to attach cables for air transport by helicopter.

I would be interested in the ones on the hood if you are removing them.

captcarc

juanprado, thank you VERY much! That makes sense but I'm not quickly finding pics of installed TIPS. The hood is a 3-point mount? And how does the tailgate mount work? I plan to retain the brackets. Thanks again!!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brackets on wheels aren't for helicopter sling, there are frame points on the back of the truck for that.
(helicopters lift from a central point, or forward and rear points on a Chinook, and there is nothing that would keep the cables spread so as to not crush the HMMWV fenders if it were to be lifted be these points from a helicopter) (P.S. I was in a helicopter unit that had both Chinooks and Blackhawks, and watched more than a few sling loads)

There is actually some debate about those brackets, but the normally acceptable answer is they are used for a type of self recovery using a rope/line and a bent metal bar, to act as a winch.
The other answer I've seen is for tying down to skid pallets when being air dropped or for rail transport, but I can't find anything to back up that idea.

There have been multiple threads about them if you want to read up on them, but here's one of the first that comes up in a search for "HMMWV Wheel Bracket"

Gear Report

There is actually some debate about those brackets, but the normally acceptable answer is they are used for a type of self recovery using a rope/line and a bent metal bar, to act as a winch.
The other answer I've seen is for tying down to skid pallets when being air dropped or for rail transport, but I can't find anything to back up that idea.

There have been multiple threads about them if you want to read up on them, but here's one of the first that comes up in a search for "HMMWV Wheel Bracket"
I was a USAF loadmaster that loaded and airdropped HMMWVs. We were told that we were NOT to use the wheel brackets as tie down points at all! We could only use the frame mounted tie down points at the front and rear of the HMMWV.
This attached diagram shows how the wheel mounted points are used...
HMMWV_hub_fittings_recovery.jpg
That said, I have seen a similar diagram that suggested the points could also be used for tie down. So, I think the debate might be because the approved uses of those wheel mounted brackets has changed over time.

captcarc

I was a USAF loadmaster that loaded and airdropped HMMWVs. We were told that we were NOT to use the wheel brackets as tie down points at all! We could only use the frame mounted tie down points at the front and rear of the HMMWV.
This attached diagram shows how the wheel mounted points are used...
View attachment 791272
That said, I have seen a similar diagram that suggested the points could also be used for tie down. So, I think the debate might be because the approved uses of those wheel mounted brackets has changed over time.
Great information! Thanks!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its for mounting the bracket that holds the Drivers Vision Enhancer sensor.
The tan bracket on the left side of hood is the doubler installed when they cut the hood for the DVE cables.

I have all the panels and side and hood brackets just haven't took the time to mount those but they are rare. Especially the tailgate brackets. Those are the only ones I don't have but then again I have the spare tire system so mounting the panel on the rear hatch is an opinion where we used to mount them. Funny that they were actually post Desert Storm because that's when I had them.

captcarc

Thank you, but I'm asking about the small bracket(s) on the A pillar, not on the hood. One member said it was for a mirror mount. Thanks Everyone!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, but I'm asking about the small bracket(s) on the A pillar, not on the hood. One member said it was for a mirror mount. Thanks Everyone!
On feb 25th you asked { What is that hole for in the middle of my windshield retainer? }.....
I answered on feb 25th....Today you asked : What's a "doubler"? ...I answered.......Its all related to the center W/S bracket with a hole.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much! So, I'm assuming that the the yellow question mark bracket is a "doubler" that has to do with the DVE system.
No...doubler is on hood....Don't know what yellow thing is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks