• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Serial Number Lookup Tool

Colditz

Hello guys and greetings from Germany,

as far as i have seen, many of you asked about the date of delivery or other specific information about your HMMWV. I know these information is not available from the United States Military or the manufacturer of the HMMWV, AM General. But I'm working on a other solution. The HMMWV Serial Number Lookup Tool. I'm currently working on the first prototype. My start database is very small and only contains about 170 different serial numbers, mostly with data from GovPlanet/IronPlanet and other sources. Many serial numbers will of course never show up, like the 9.000 M1114 sold to Iraq and many of them captured by ISIS. Anyway, my goal is:
  • You can enter your serial number with bonus information and save it to the database
  • You can search for a serial number...
... and receive the data plate information:
  • REGISTRATION NUMBER
  • NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER
  • VEHICLE CURB WEIGHT
  • PAYLOAD MAXIMUM
  • GROSS WEIGHT MAXIMUM
  • DATE OF DELIVERY (MONTH/YEAR)
  • ORIGINAL CONTRACT NUMBER
You can add optional bonus information:
  • LAST KNOWN OFFICIAL USER
  • LAST KNOWN STATUS
  • LAST KNOWN COUNTRY
You can add optional rebuild / overhaul information:
  • DEPOT
  • REBUILD DATE (MONTH/YEAR)
Here is my prototype: http://wuerkner2.danubius0282.nbsp.de/hmmwv/ - Please beware that the form is not functional yet and has no connection to the database.

lookup.JPG

And this is the table relationship structure of the current MySQL database:

sn.JPG

What do you think of this idea? Will it help the HMMWV community?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:

papakb

While this is a good idea and would be very helpful I would worry that the Gov and States would love to have this information and God only knows what they'd do with it! If you have friends in the services or law enforcement there is a system in place that they can draw basic information about your vehicle from. They can tell you manufacture dates and who the customer was but there's no record of any transfers or change of cognicant agency afterwards.

Colditz

My goal is to have no personal information in the database saved. No names, no cities, no states. The current input fields are also not asking for them. I want no personal data in this database. Besides, I'm from Germany, I have no friends from US government services or US law enforcement in the United States. This is a project of my own.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
This could be a good idea, with a lot of work and input. On the surface neat... then I started to overthink it with all the face place and twit stuff "data mining" thing. (not saying anything bad for the effort or participants)

(y)I get it... not like an social security number. Have fun with it and don't let this old buzz kill stop YA. Good luck (y)

Nothing to hide and no where to run. I'll drive the HumV to get there, CAMO

Action

One big problem with this......most of the data plates I see on the GP trucks are not original AM General VIN plates. An example being a plate that shows date of delivery as 2009, but the VIN is from the '90s. You cannot use rebuild dates as the date of manufacture. If that guy enetered his incorrect info from his data plate, it will start screwing up the list. The serial numbers were made in order. They do not just pick random numbers out of the toilet.

Action

here is a perfect example of incorrect info. This plate shows serial number 186800 and a rebuild date of 2009. Not all of the rebuild tags have "REBUILD DATE". some just have build date. If serial number 300000 was made around 2007 / 2008, there is no way that 186800 came after that....

1615679780622.png

Last edited:

Action

here is one that shows "date of delivery" as 2006. Serial number 209601 is too low to be from 11/2006. .
I personally do not believe the year on any of these non-original data plates.

1615680371816.png

Last edited:

Colditz

Hello Action,

I'm aware of that problem. That is why every new entry is manually checked before written to the database.

Besides that's why i have two different Date/Month fields. One belongs to the Delivery Date and the other to the Rebuild Date.

(I have already have 170 different serial numbers entered myself to check such problems)

Action

Hello Action,

I'm aware of that problem. That is why every new entry is manually checked before written to the database.

Besides that's why i have two different Date/Month fields. One belongs to the Delivery Date and the other to the Rebuild Date.

(I have already have 170 different serial numbers entered myself to check such problems)

But in my example above, the data plate has "date of delivery 11-06". And, there is no rebuild tag above the data plate. That is NOT a 2006. If you got most of your data from GP, you may have wrong info to begin with.
How are you checking info to see that it is correct?

1615831893703.png

Colditz

The user will of course enter the DOD as 11/06. But I will see the new entry, see that the S/N is way too low for 2006 and change the entered Month/Year to the Rebuild Date. So the original Date of Delivery Month/Year will still remain unknown. There is also a field to upload a picture of the data plate.

By the way, another problem are the RECAP vehicles M1025R1 and M1097R1. Some of them have a entirely new serial number range and new a data plate. You have to guess which vehicle was it before RECAP.

Action

It may just be me, but I fail to see the point of all this work. It would be mice to know the first and last serial number spit out by AMG in any given year, but why would anyone want a database of when a truck went through the reset program?
You mentioned guessing at it?
This seems more like a database of who has what.
You can use this info....serial number 300,666 was destroyed. I saw it before it was scrapped.

Colditz

As I said before, the information about the Serial Numbers are not available from the United States Military, TACOM or the manufacturer of the HMMWV.
I contacted AM General several times about different topics for my two books and they don't give a shit about any of my inquiries.

Somewhere it has to start. And the only way I see is to get community involved in this project.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted AM General several times about different topics for my two books and they don't give a shit about any of my inquiries.

Somewhere it has to start. And the only way I see is to get community involved in this project.
Ha ha being in the manufacturing business my whole life, I can assure you that we are only concerned with making the next widget, once something is shipped we never want to hear about it ever again.

I have heard that AM General is coming around to embracing the "aftermarket" of their vehicles. They are understandably reluctant due to litigation from accidents etc.

I think your database is a good idea. There is a crude version of a registry database here on Soldiers for the 1980's "Air Force" M35A2 VINs. The G503 website has a VIN registry for WWII Jeeps, I have about 10 entries there.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks