• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV VIN Numbers

Lex_Ordo

I picked up an Up-Armored side & rear M998 yesterday at Ft. Dix. I'm looking for information on where to locate the VIN? The M998 dataplate is barely readable. Would it be stamped on the frame like much like a duece?
I am a Duece guy and know the M35 intimately, but this is new, and so requires learning from those who know the HMMWV.

Unionjackjim

I found mine behind the front bumper , in the right hand chassis , on a factory wired on tag , it was a little rusty , so all you have to loose is 20 mins , it's a 50/50 shot

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only number stamped on a HMMWV is under the hood above the washer bottle, it's a 6 digit number.
there is a SN and registration number on the data plate on the Bpillar...from the factory I do beleive that the either the reg# or sn on that data plate match that body number...I just can't remember right now.

dilvoy

You are talking about the "tub" number Steve. It is a number that is put on the body tub to keep track of it, but when things like that are assembled they don't always go immediatly to the production line. They can be used in a different order than they were assembeled, because they can accumulate and it is easy to grab the nearest one so the tub number should have no correlation to the Serial Number which is given to the vehicle when it is on the assy line. As a curious note, the WWII jeep bodys were built off site and shipped by train to the assembly plants and the first body in the box car was most likely not the first one out to be placed into the assy line so those body tub numbers don't correlate to the serial numbers except for a possible range of numbers per day or week of production.

Lex_Ordo

Here are a few pics. I had an a issue the other day with it not starting, and suspect the Nuetral Safety Switch may need to be replaced. A jiggle of the tranny lever got it going, but then it happened again, and no jiggling has helped.

Turns out that this '87 M998 last was assigned as Pre-Deployment Training Equipment. I suspect it was pretty well used before excess. Still a cool truck. Drives quite well!

The six digit serial number on the data plate is all there is for the VIN. The registration number does not get used.

038499_5.jpg038499_6.jpg038499_7.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being that the goverment does NOT surplus out hmmwv's, wondering minds would like to know how you might have acquired such from fort Dix....?
unless its to a govt agency that is...did it come with an SF97?

Unionjackjim

Is their a link or a post which details the age of the truck , by the frame number . Production dates by frame etc , I did come across one somewhere years ago , but I cannot find it now ?

Found it , it was a previous post on this forum , problem solved.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An armored truck with a soft top ?
Looks like old M1114 type armor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks