• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWVs Off Road Use Only?

jime

I was surfing HMMWVs yesterday and found a good supply for 'off road use only'. I assume there are title or DOT issues with the HMMWVs. What's the story? Can they be titled for road use (Ohio)? What are these vehicles selling for?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what is the web page? I would like to know what a good supply is. BTW my HMMWV came from Ohio with a title

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In TN, you can tag just about any vehicle if you're willing to fill out enough paperwork and jump through enough hoops. I know other states are more strict though.

BLK HMMWV

HMMWV's

The only HMMWV's that got out without an "off highway use " stipulation were from the original auction back in the early 90's.
They were a mixture of 85's ,86's , and 87's.
Anything other than that is questionable how it got out in one piece .
I would make sure it has a clean title. Most states will not register them as what they are for use on the street. I'm not saying they aren't getting registered but I would bet they will not be registered using there original 5 digit number .
I have heard rumor that uncle has given thought in the past to coming after anything other than 85's 86's and 87's that have been registered because they were never intended to be in civilian hands and on the road because they don't meet any of the DOT regs.
I'm sure there are those that will disagree but I'm just letting you know what I have heard. Of course I'm in Calif. and were not known for anything but a cluster @%#&.

BH

rorybellows

The only HMMWV's that got out without an "off highway use " stipulation were from the original auction back in the early 90's.
They were a mixture of 85's ,86's , and 87's.
Anything other than that is questionable how it got out in one piece .
I would make sure it has a clean title. Most states will not register them as what they are for use on the street. I'm not saying they aren't getting registered but I would bet they will not be registered using there original 5 digit number .
I have heard rumor that uncle has given thought in the past to coming after anything other than 85's 86's and 87's that have been registered because they were never intended to be in civilian hands and on the road because they don't meet any of the DOT regs.
I'm sure there are those that will disagree but I'm just letting you know what I have heard. Of course I'm in Calif. and were not known for anything but a cluster @%#&.

BH
yes, true. most m.v. vehicles availably commercially (915 series, cucv, things like that) are technically the only "street legal" vehicles. Dueces, five tons, fmtv's, hemmits don not have alot of D.O.T rated equipment. the glass and tires mostly. go look on your 46's or 52's. most gauranteed to say not for highway use or not dot approved for highway use or something along those lines. so legally, a vast majority of these trucks on here arent street legal simply for tires and glass. if you get down to the nitty gritty and some a-hole with a authority complex pulls you over he can pop you with that, if not a myriad of other things.

ooo, i jsut saw my post count gave me sgm rank, so i better hear a god **** at ease next time i log onto this site. hahahaha

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trucks sold at the auctions in Atlanta GA and Riverside CA were all sold as off road use only. I was there at the GA auction.. With that said I don't know of anyone who had troulble gettting them titled. In GA you had to get the VIN verified by an LEO and the paper work to go along with it. After that you could get your title.

Ther were several 93 models in the auction at Atlanta. In fact I have the auction sheet with all the trucks sold with their VIN numbers.

My vehicle has a GA title with a 4 digit VIn number.

Last edited:

rorybellows

Hey! m16ty is right! No problems owning and driving a HMMWV here in Tennessee. Every L. E. O. I have encountered waves when we pass... even T.H.P. and vehicle enforcement guys... Been dricing my M998 almost 5 years now. Nairy a problem getting title and license either. If someone is selling something for off-road-use-only, then more than likely they do not have a title for it...

and F.Y.I. the laminated safety glass in deuces is DOT legal... I know since I used to work for a glass company.
i was just sayin all trucks ive driven say not D.O.T legal. but that doesnt stop anybody, nor would it stop me;-)

Chief_919

As has been said, the trucks from the original GA and CA sales were sold with SF-97s' that stated "off road use only" and that was supposed to go on the titles as well.

Quite quickly a few folks discovered that some states had no provision for marking a title like that, so they "sold" trucks to owners in that state, got a clear title, then "bought" the truck back with a clear title with no "off road use" on it.

To date, nobody has had issues.

However, I would still urge caution. There have been people laundering grey market Land Rovers in the same fashion to obtain clear titles for vehicle that, like a HMMWV, do not meet DOT/FMVSS specs for the years they were made. I know of at least 2 cases where the owner of such a vehicle got in an accident and then had big heaps of trouble with lawsuits and their insurance provider because they were operating a grey market vehicle that was not supposed to be on US highways.

It is only a matter of time before a civilian owned M998 is in a serious accident- it will be interesting to see if the same legal problems happen there that have happened with Land Rover Defenders running aorund with "clear" titles.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In GA you simply needed the form 97 and as stated a LEO to verify the VIN to get your title. Everything was/is above board, legal and proper.

Chief_919

In GA you simply needed the form 97 and as stated a LEO to verify the VIN to get your title. Everything was/is above board, legal and proper.
The lesson some Land Rover owners learned the hard way was that just because the state issued you a title does not mean you are free, clear and legal.

In one case the insurance company realized after the accident it was a non-conforming vehicle and declined to cover it based on fine print in the contract, leaving the owner on the hook for the accident. In the other the other parties lawyer filed suit claiming that the vehicle that did not meet US safety standards caused the wreck. True or not, the jury bought it.

In both cases that had valid titles issued by the state. That didn't help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks