• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HO Scale Guntruck Conversion

WarrenD

After reading the thread below on the HO scale deuce, I was looking thru the Herpa (formerly Roco) offerings in HO and came across a M54 (5 Ton) and they were on sale. I had my dealer order one and it came in yesterday. I've already started converting it to a guntruck, I'll need to decide which one pretty soon but for now the prep is the same.
For anyone else wanting to do this, it doesn't seem too bad, though you will be doing some scratchbuilding.
The first pic is the M54 out of the box. Remove the bed cover, spare and troop seats. Next, cut off the stake sides and spare tire carrier. Then fill the holes in the bed. This is where I'm at right now and after the putty dries, I'll be back to work. I removed the bed from the truck, it's easier to work on that way. I'll post updates as progress continues.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
DANG that's nice!!!

Can you post the site or PM me or sumpin?>? I want to order a couple and I know EXACTLY which trucks I want to build!!:smile:

WarrenD

I got mine thru a local hobby shop. I think you can go thru Walthers and order direct, though you'll pay for shipping. Last I knew they were on sale at Walthers for about $15. The Herpa number of the M54 is 743341.
I have to decide if I want to remove the winch. PB, if you're doing "Proud", you'll have to remove the winch and set the bumper back in closer.

Srjeeper

Warren, will ya have it done in time for the Gathering?

Yours is the only one that won't cost an arm and a leg to get there...

2cents

WarrenD

Warren, will ya have it done in time for the Gathering?

Yours is the only one that won't cost an arm and a leg to get there...

2cents

Yes, Bill, it should be done as well as the 1/35 scale Wolfman and maybe the 1/35 Satan's Lil Helper. You are correct, all of them would be very cheap to get there, but look at them wrong and they'll break!!

WarrenD

Today saw some great progress. I got the gun box installed (0.10" styrene as it's about 7/8" thick in scale), the windscreen armor, exhaust stack and air filter. I also removed the winch and moved the front bumper back, and made an insert for the box floor of ammo cans.
Next is the door armor, then I start details on the gun box while I wait for the gun kit to arrive. It won't be long before it's first coat of paint, followed by corrections of any flaws the paint shows up.
Anyone doing this should use superglue for the thin sheet styrene. I usually prefer solvent based glue, but the 0.10 sheet is so thin, solvents will deform it. Photo of progress:

Attachments

WarrenD

The number for the gun accessories is Herpa 742139. Looks to have 3 50 cals, a pair of M60's and a few 30 cals. No mini-guns.

WarrenD

Are you expecting trouble on your HO layout?! rofl
Really nice work!
Never know when you'll have to repell a terrorist attack!!!
Mostly it's the challenge of doing something different. HO scale is hard to work on, I used to do lots of detailing on locos and kits but old age is making it tougher. I ran across the M54 when browsing the Herpa list looking for deuces. Then I see the accessory MGs and well, one thing leads to another. My purchases are limited to the 2 Herpa products, I have a decent stock of styrene sheet, bars, metal stock so all the add-on parts I have to make are already in the house, just not in a shape readily useful!!:roll:

Door armor is on, first paint is done, waiting on guns and trying to figure out the decals.

gunboy1656

I don't even want to think how many deuce's I have in the house. I went on a spending spree when I was overseas, just the one I posted above I have 5.

I just need the rest of the stuff to make the truck.

Did you find the small mirrors for the truck or are you making your own?

WarrenD

I don't even want to think how many deuce's I have in the house. I went on a spending spree when I was overseas, just the one I posted above I have 5.

I just need the rest of the stuff to make the truck.

Did you find the small mirrors for the truck or are you making your own?
I haven't found mirror yet, I'm not sure I want to go into that much detail in this scale. I'd probably have to make them anyway, doubt I'd find anything close.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the Roco/Minitanks/Herpa UH-1 kit for miniguns. When I built it many years ago it had all the bits to make a gunship, including two miniguns. They were nicely detailed for their tiny size. But that was 25 years ago, so check first before buying to see if the newer issues have that stuff in them.

The gunship parts were for the side mounted pylons, if you are familiar with that stuff.
Maybe there is a parts kit with just that stuff in it?

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks