• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home Made Fording Kit?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I have done my research with previous home made fording kits and actual surplus ones. I just want to make sure that I have covered every aspect to take my truck in deep water. I started out with new axle boots and silicon to make them water proof. I then added the central vent system for axles, transmisiion, and transfer case. Next I moved to putting a hose from the air compressor to the air cleaner box. Put on a new gas cap gasket. I know about the bell housing plug to put in before submerging. I am taking the truck to the exhaust shop to have a custom snorkel made as tall as the smoke stack, where I will plumb in the axle vents and crankcase breather. Have I covered every thing I need to take it in deep water?

phil2968

I think the original kits had a very low pressure regulator that put air pressure in the bell housing and maybe some other places as well. Maybe Gimpy or someone with more knowledge will chime in.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought that as well. It had a regulator that put out like 1 or 2 psi. That was then piped into the axles at least. (Theory is that since they're under pressure, water won't creep in)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air is pumped into the bellhousing. The clutch doesent work very well when wet. On another note. Make sure your hub seals are in good shape. I have had water inter there, go through the alxes into the diffs and ruin the gear lube. Any oil leaks on any gearboxes will let water in said gearbox. Also batteries, Get yourself some gell type batteries. Even no maintence batteries that are sopposed to be sealed really are NOT! water will enter them and doulte the acid.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What can be done with the crankcase breather? Do I need to route it up higher or tie it in witht the air system or is it a concern? It comes from the top of the valve cover and comes down by the turbo.

crazywelder72

I am still a noob and i am also trying to learn about the fording kits. can we get some pics up (central vent kit, where the air is supposed to enter the bell housing, Etc...) It would help me a lot. I am still a long way from getting the beast wet but I should learn a head of time what i'm doing.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will add some pictures tomorrw of all the things I have done. I am aslo going to pressurize the central vent system with 1psi hopefully by the end of the week and will continue adding pictures.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to drill and tap a 1/4 NPT into the bellhousing. Not the trany it's self. The engines crankcase breather has a hose that exits through a hole you have to cut in the side panel next to the air cleaner intake. You then run this hose up and unto/underneath the snorkle mushroom. This hepls pull a vacume on this hose and pull out crankcase gasses. The original fording kit has a smaller mushroom that is open on the bottom. so you can insert this hose.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What can be done with the crankcase breather? Do I need to route it up higher or tie it in witht the air system or is it a concern? It comes from the top of the valve cover and comes down by the turbo.
Yes you need to get that up above water line. The 5 ton just shuts it down but that can build presure in the crank case if used for long. One would think if there was not much blowby you could tie it in with the intake but I would not leave it there when not fording as its dead air and could have oil vapors. Also your master cyl. and fuel tank might still be hooked up to the road draft tube pipe.

Last edited:

crazywelder72

I think (because i am a geek) that a lot of features for the deuce could be easily made to be cab controls these days with the use of solenoids and relays.

In earlier posts we were talking about runaway motors and choking off the air supply. That's a good one to do.

Or the fording plug could be another one that is always open but with the flip of the switch it would close of a petcock

The leaky manifold heater nozzle, the fuel feed line could run thru a better (secondary) valve that would prevent 100% of the fuel from running to it UNTIL the switch got activated.

Can't forget about making a flame thrower for the exhaust, another great use for installing fear into others.:twisted:

not to mention my horn button shifter lever, No relays needed but is a killer feature.

So... who wants me to start making these kits? do you think there is a market for it? I can if i felt like it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why make it so hard with wires and such. The plug on the bottom of the bellhousing one can just get a ball valve with the correct threads and just before you ford reach under and close it.

crazywelder72

yes. But a ball valve hanging down is begging to get snapped off. Messing around with the other style the possibilitys are endless and can be lowprofile (less than 1" easily) I just happen to be comfortable playing with wires. I always think of how something can be improved upon and what would give it that cool factor. It's kind of a curse....

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries but look at the bellhouseing it's higher than the oil pan and well protected. The valve would only hanges down 3 inches still lots of room.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the different era's of the manuals. Early kits were alot more complex. Later ones didn't have alot of stuff, especially with the axle vents rerouted etc.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here are a few pictures of what I have accomplished so far. I had the snorkel made yesterday. The axle vents, transmission, and t case have been vented to the fire wall (but now I am going to take it to the top of the snorkel). Also I ran the compressor over to the air box. I still have a couple of more afternoons of work pressurizing the system and doing other odds and ends. One question I have is when in deep water do I shut off the power switch in the cab to prevent any electrical issues?

Attachments

crazywelder72

is the compressor connected to the open tube on the backside of the airbox?

Are all the axle vents connected up that one red mini filter?

do you need to borrow my scuba gear when you go out?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I connected the air compressor to the back of the air box. I used 1 inch heater hose from Napa and a couple hose clamps. The axles, t case, and transmission are routed to the red filter but are getting rerouted to the top of the snorkel. I hope I don't need scuba gearr but can't wait to get the truck in deep at the lake!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks