• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

home made schwimmwagen

m880 unimog

thanks chris, we now have a new forum for any german stuff folk may have laying around-
this is a friends home made schwimmwagen-used in the 'band of brothers' t.v. series filmed here in hertfordshire.

reggie built this using a 1959 vw beetle as a base.everything is handmade.

the workmanship is second to none,so much so that its hard to tell it apart ,if at all from a 40,s schwimm-there are some detractors of course,one even registered a complaint at the war and peace show,but these creature,s rarely get beyond talking about vehicles,let alone restoring or building one from scratch.will just go n get some pictures-

more power to aged iron and those who keep them rolling!

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

lousy pictures-taken of photos-but a better set can be found here,including build shots,great website for such an unusual vehicle.
http://www.vw166.com/schwimmwagen/restorations/replica_uk_1.htm

i have been very lucky in that i have been out swimming in 2 different 40,s schwimmwagens,and reg,s replica is so close to real it,s almost impossible to spot the difference.

Attachments

Last edited:

L1A1

That's outstanding! Thanks for posting. Just one question though, how'd he get around the powered front axle that was on the original. If I'm not mistaken the type 166 (&128) were the only 4X4s that VW ever built.
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks