• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooking up tach and time tester

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I've suddenly realized I have absolutely no idea how to use this tester to monitor the RPMs on the 6.5L diesel. I'd like to use it as a tach and verify the RPMs.

Does anyone have either a pointer (to a TM) or just in general how [and where] to attach this thing? All of the references I've found in the manual about the tach involve use the STE/ICE-R tool, but I've only got this one.

The manual in the tool talks generally how to attach it. I assume I need to attach the "transducer" to a fuel line, I'm assuming one of the lines to the injectors? or does it go elsewhere.. Then once attached, I'm unsure what to set the tool to in order to get a reasonable reading.

Thanks in advance for any sort of help you can give me.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Ok, I've suddenly realized I have absolutely no idea how to use this tester to monitor the RPMs on the 6.5L diesel. I'd like to use it as a tach and verify the RPMs.

Does anyone have either a pointer (to a TM) or just in general how [and where] to attach this thing? All of the references I've found in the manual about the tach involve use the STE/ICE-R tool, but I've only got this one.

The manual in the tool talks generally how to attach it. I assume I need to attach the "transducer" to a fuel line, I'm assuming one of the lines to the injectors? or does it go elsewhere.. Then once attached, I'm unsure what to set the tool to in order to get a reasonable reading.

Thanks in advance for any sort of help you can give me.

What do you have. No picture = No info.

Name, rant & serial number, CAMO

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those that came with my toolkit. It is impressive but I have no idea how to use it. I’m interested in finding out also.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Here you go > https://tinytach.com/pdf/3300-S-tech-time-timing-unit-operating-instructions.pdf

Should have come with the manual?? I don't find much use for it IMO. Timing mark on engine and IP pump align pretty closely. To add, not that easy to rotate IP with 8 steel lines on it. I have a tool to rotate and it is ever soooo little on the HumV like pencil width marks. Not like a gas engine where one is rotating the distributor.

Looks good, and a dust collector. CAMO

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go > https://tinytach.com/pdf/3300-S-tech-time-timing-unit-operating-instructions.pdf

Should have come with the manual?? I don't find much use for it IMO. Timing mark on engine and IP pump align pretty closely. To add, not that easy to rotate IP with 8 steel lines on it. I have a tool to rotate and it is ever soooo little on the HumV like pencil width marks. Not like a gas engine where one is rotating the distributor.

Looks good, and a dust collector. CAMO
You did better than I did and found the PDF version of the manual. It came with that, but it's unclear to me where the transducer needs to be connected on the 6.5L to get an accurate result.

I'm not intending to change/adjust timing, more just want to use it as a tach to check RPMs and idle speed.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a reference to another tester from the same company. This makes more sense to me:

https://tinytach.com/pdf/diesel_instructions.pdf

So I need to attach the transducer to an injector line, and if it's painted, I may have to sand a bit of the paint off to make a connection. Then the white wire is grounded to the block.

Translating into the other instruction, the BNC connector on the other side goes into the box, and the box is turned on and "should" display the RPMs once the engine is turning over.

(I'm not sure when I'll have time to try it, but hopefully soon.)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You did better than I did and found the PDF version of the manual. It came with that, but it's unclear to me where the transducer needs to be connected on the 6.5L to get an accurate result.

I'm not intending to change/adjust timing, more just want to use it as a tach to check RPMs and idle speed.
Pretty simple. Connect electric probe to a straight sections on an injector line, Start engine. Connect Plus and Minus to battery and view RPM. It detects the IP pressure pulse on that line and does the simple math. About 650 RPM.

Read chapter 4 to get an idea of the goings on. NOT the same unit but.... The more you know.........

Once one hears an engine or two running at 650 RPM you get the feel or hear for it.

Purr like a kitten, Sting like a BEE, CAMO

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally found the instructions. TM-9-2320-280-34. Section 3-19, page 3-40. Engine Injection Pump Timing.

So RPMs just connect the RPM part. For timing, there is a 'timing bracket gauge' that comes in the unit toolkit ( 57K0268 ). This along with the Tach & Time will let you get the RPM and timing of the engine.

Instructions in that section refer to a slight different timing meter, but it looks like the instructions are more or less the same otherwise.

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For simple tach operation, connect the transducer to the fuel line to the injector (I did the one on drivers side, toward the rear of the engine, was easy to get to.). Then connect the red wire of the probe to the transducer, the white clamp to the fuel line.. and then connect the BNC. Set the switch to one of the top items, and then attach the power leads to the battery (single battery 12V).

Pretty easy to run the lead into the cabin via the engine cover and use the tach while driving to see how things are working.

(I didn't attempt the timing part of it, not sure if I'll ever do it either.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks