• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooks m105a2 recovery tomorrow - gotta bad feeling

blacktop_one

Hooks m105a2 recovery tomorrow - gotta bad feeling. Edit: Pics added!

Well, I'm picking up my 105 a2 tomorrow with my Ford Ranger from Hooks. I just have a bad feeling my transmission won't survive the trip back to Houston. It started feeling funny :-( on the drive up but maybe I'm just anxious, paying too much attention to every little squeak and vibration. I wonder if I should pick it up, find a storage lot where I can stash it in Texarkana, and come back at my leisure one weekend after I've had the tranny checked? Or - if the tranny is going to go out anyway, why not try to get it closer to home. I guess I'll see how she pulls tomorrow.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep it out of overdrive, keep the speed to no more than 50 and you should be ok. There is a storage place about 1/2 mile east of the RRAD commercial truck entrance turn off from the Hooks, TX main road.

srodocker

i did it with my ranger and my m103 had a giant box on the back that acted like a brick wall...takes a bit to get up to speed but dont push it and stay in the slow lane :)

blacktop_one

Thanks for the wise words everyone. I've pretty much decided to pick it up, park it in Hooks or Texarkana, and head back to Houston empty. That way I can come back some weekend and get the trailer and for now I'll have some control (hopefully) over where and when the tranny falls out. I used to work in the call center for AAA Emergency Road Service and I know what kind of nightmare it is trying to have them tow a truck and a trailer. They really don't want to be sending 2 wreckers and sometimes will force you to abandon your trailer on the side of the road right then and there. It's your problem. Oh, well. Like the Terminator said, "I'll be back." (to pickup my trailer):wink:

jluv1185

2750#s...any danger ranger can do that! Just be careful. Like everybody said give yourself longer time to get going, and alot longer to stop! Good luck!

SNAFU 7665

Don't forget to drop tailgate on trailer haul's alot easier that way:-D, I just got back from there a week ago and they were doing alot of construction on site, The 105a2 I picked up had new paint ,tires,air lines and l.e.d. tail lights I was very Happy with mine hope you are to, GOOD LUCK

blacktop_one

Well, I ended up stashing the trailer in a Boat/RV storage lot in New Boston ($25/month what a deal!), just down the road from Hooks. My Ranger made it back to Houston with a lot of gear slippage going up hills - no way I would have made it with the trailer. The trailer - brand new everything: tarp, gladhands, cables, lights, everything!! Freshly painted in Sand CARC, it looks like it was refurbed then parked and not ever used! Now, gotta rebuild that tranny and go back for my brand new trailer! Pics to follow...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks