• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get a 6BT Cummins started after it has been sitting for a while?

Lonesome715

I have a 5.9 12 valve Cummins in a Dodge that was converted to a military aircraft tug. Everything from the cab up is a standard non military based truck. When I got the truck it ran but had old fuel in it. That caused the truck to shut down and not restart two years ago. Well, I have cleaned the fuel system now and replaced the internally rusted fuel filter. I have new fuel in it and I know it is getting to the fuel pump. I cracked open the injector lines and they are getting fuel as well. The engine will fire on starting fluid but will not stay running. What else do I have to do?

Capt.Marion

There should be some sort of tag on it.

You should also check out 4btswaps.com. They'll have plenty of cummins techs over there.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a electrici shut off and is it getting power/ ground. I have a 4bt in one of the cranes and it has an electric fuel shut off. A mechanical pump engine should allways start if it has fuel and a way to turn over enless there is something else wrong.

mudguppy

not to sound like a smart-ace, but are you sure the fuel shut-off arm or solenoid is fully in the 'open' position?

i have the different style injection pump, but it can be a pain to get the system re-primed enough to fire off.

this is what i do:
  • crack filter outlet line and prime until clear fuel
  • crack IP inlet line and prime until clear fuel
  • crack all injector lines and prime until fuel at injectors
  • crank (maybe w/ 'Soldier B') until No.1 line starts shooting fuel consistently, indicating that most of the air is out.
  • tighten No.1.
  • move to No.2, crank until consistent fuel shooting and tighten.
at this point, if those two cylinders are firing then it may help spin the engine over while cranking, or it could get the engine running. then all you'll need to do is tighten remaining lines and run at high idle until all air is purged.

it makes a mess, but is the only way i can tell when the lines are getting purged. just stay out of the line of fire to avoid diesel in the eye.

Lonesome715

That truck has a mechanical fuel pump so could it still have that shut off? I do not know if it does or not. What should I look for?

Lonesome715

not to sound like a smart-ace, but are you sure the fuel shut-off arm or solenoid is fully in the 'open' position?

i have the different style injection pump, but it can be a pain to get the system re-primed enough to fire off.

this is what i do:
  • crack filter outlet line and prime until clear fuel
  • crack IP inlet line and prime until clear fuel
  • crack all injector lines and prime until fuel at injectors
  • crank (maybe w/ 'Soldier B') until No.1 line starts shooting fuel consistently, indicating that most of the air is out.
  • tighten No.1.
  • move to No.2, crank until consistent fuel shooting and tighten.
at this point, if those two cylinders are firing then it may help spin the engine over while cranking, or it could get the engine running. then all you'll need to do is tighten remaining lines and run at high idle until all air is purged.

it makes a mess, but is the only way i can tell when the lines are getting purged. just stay out of the line of fire to avoid diesel in the eye.

You are not being a smart ass. I do not know at all. This is my first 6BT so I am learning with every step I take.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a true Cummins and it has a mechanical fuel pump but emergency fuel shut down electric switch plus the in cab master and starter switch.
Seems like any electric fuel switch should be easy to find as it will be on the fuel line somewhere. Now I don't know about the Dodge if it has and inturnnel fuel cut off. Are you getting anything out when you crack the injectors.

I don't get much out of the pics with the wireing nightmare. LOL

Last edited:

Barrman

You should be able to hear the shut off valve click open and closed. Be warned that it is a real pain to get to the shut off valve.

nk14zp

You have a VE pump. In the pic you posted the red wire behind the kick down linkage goes to the shut off I think. There is also a mechanical shut down lever that is not hooked to any thing in the 1st gen dodges.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You'll need to ensure the fuel solenoid is getting 12v. Also prime the fuel system with the lift pump on the side of the block. No fuel = dead lift pump, replace. Next, crack all the lines to the injectors and spin it over until fuel flows out. Hook up 2,4, and 6. Spin it over some more. Then hook up 1,3,5. Should fire up then. If you get no flow from the pump, to the injectors, you've got IP issues. I don't have a cummins VE'ed truck, just a VP'ed truck. But I do have a VE'd diesel in my samurai. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

mudguppy

The 4bt yahoo group here has the cummins manuals where you can download them in .pdf. They cover both the 4- and 6B series.
if it's the one floating around on the 'net, i have it. it's been of some help, but not tremendous. experienced gear-heads have helped me 100-times over the manual. i took it on a stick to Office Depot and they printed it out and bound it for $50. wasn't really worth it.

i'm trying to load it up; i know it's over the max size limit but am giving it a go...

aaaaaaaaaannnnndd it doesn't look like that is happening. :roll:

Lonesome715

Ooooooohhhh. It is one of those group things. I will have to try and get on it when I get home. I did not hear anything clicking on or off. I will have to dig into it deeper. I was hoping to have it running by tomorrow. But now I have to work all day and most of the night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks