• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you Guys start your rig when it's negative 10???

RangerDave

Now that it's really cold out, I've been looking through the "How to start your truck when it's darn cold out" forums for the past few years and thought... How do the rest of you get yours started???

I know there are plenty of folks out there that have a hard time when the temps fall below the freezing mark and started wondering HOW many ways people get the trucks up and running as a way to help!

In this picture I've connected my Chevy 1-ton to the deuce via the heater hoses. I used large hydraulic quick disconnects. I let the Chevy warm up the deuce for about 15 minutes or so and crank it up!!! Then disconnect and away I go...

It is -17 in this picture.... and quite satisfying seeing the frost evaporate from the manifold in front of your eyes....

I got this idea from some of the loggers in the area that have problems starting their skidders in the winter when its cold.

If I could keep my in tank fuel pump going, maybe my manifold heater would work!!!

- Cheers

Attachments

nk14zp

After you do that throw a snow ball on the water manifold get in your running truck sip cofee read paper when snow ball melts it is ready to start.

RangerDave

A few of the loggers I've worked with turned me on to the idea and showed me how it worked. It's pretty nice to start a cold truck from the comfort of a warm one... Yes, with coffee!!

jwaller

thats a really cool idea.

I wonder if I could rig up a tank and pump to run my hot water heaters water thru the truck.

We have had guys around here crack heads with this method.
With a hot truck coming in off the road, hooking up the hoses and getting a cold blast as it is dumping cold water in a hot engine.
one way to fix this prob is to be alert to where the return is plumbed in at the (hot) truck.
another way we have used is a 1/4 turn ball valve that we restrict the flow with untill the coolant is tempered a little.
I have had guys argue with me over this but i have had to fix some of the damage.

blackdiesel

We have had guys around here crack heads with this method.
With a hot truck coming in off the road, hooking up the hoses and getting a cold blast as it is dumping cold water in a hot engine.
one way to fix this prob is to be alert to where the return is plumbed in at the (hot) truck.
another way we have used is a 1/4 turn ball valve that we restrict the flow with untill the coolant is tempered a little.
I have had guys argue with me over this but i have had to fix some of the damage.
Very true.

I keep a can of either between the seats. Open the passenger side windshield and give her a little squirt when cranking.

m109guy

I just plug my deuce in to warm it up. I have heater pads on the oil pan, a battery warmer, and I just got hold of a blocker heater (which I hope to install tomorrow). The manifold heater switch also works well if I really have a problem. I have started it in -20F weather without a problem.

But if you cannot plug the truck in, they are pretty useless. I have a big generator for use in those type of situations.

Cool idea, I had never heard of doing that either. Just as long as the other truck uses the same type of coolant and it is in good shape I think it is worth doing.

I find that heating up the oil makes a really huge difference when starting the truck in low temperatures. I have tried starting the truck with no heat in -20F and had a hell of a time. But when I left just the oil pan heaters running for 2-3 hours, I was able to get it running really quickly.

deuceman51

I have used a propane torch to heat up my oil pan in a pinch. I just made sure to keep it moving and not to get too close so I would avoid burning any oil inside the pan. I did that for 5 minutes and was able to start the truck really easy in -10 weather here in SD. To really be ready though, you need a good block heater and probably an oil pan heater too.

DLJ

I use a propane weed burner that runs off a 20lb tank
(available at Northern tools or other stores) . Get 2 lengths of 6
" stove pipe and a 90 degree bend, point the bend up towards the oil pan and light the burner and put in the pipe . It puts out a lot of heat in short time. Have started semi tractors and big farm tractors that way.

DLJ

rmgill

things crack when given sudden cold. dont know about sudden heat.
Yep, it's the heating vehicle that can get cold shocked and get a cracked block. Essentially, you're cooling the block suddenly when the pistons and everything else are hot. You can shock cool an air-cooled engine (open cowl flaps suddenly) the same way.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it gets real cold I try not to use mine but if I know I'm going to use it I have a magnetic oil pan heater I stick on the pan and plug it in for a few hours, works great but you have to crawl under each time to put it on and take it off. It's like the Napa kit but not permanently attached. I use it on my mud truck and that has 20W-50 oil in it and it fires right up.

m35tech

I have used a Heat Lamp, overseas they used Propane Turbo heaters with a tarp around the front fenders and a duct going up to the oil pan, gets the whole block warm, here in ohio on my deuce I have not had any issues starting my truck up even on the coldest day....2 cranks and its running

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks