• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does slime balance a tire ?

Rodger

Hello All

I just put MRAP tires on my M109. The vibration at 35 mph is amazing.
I have been told that a half gallon of slime in each front will fix it.

Can anyone explain how slime balances tires? I am happier when I know how things work.

Except for the vibration, tires are great.

Thank you
Rodger

wdbtchr

For what it's worth I've only had one type of experience with Slime and tire balance bad. It's only intended to coat the inside of the tire to get pinhole leaks for LOW SPEED tires. I put a half gallon in each tire of my DTC 8606 forklift because the beads leaks from sitting with the tires flat too long. They finally sealed after I let the Slime run down and settle and then rotate 180 degrees until traces of Slime showed at the bead. Haven't had a problem since.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure wouldn't use Slime as my first choice to balance my big tires.

I would use tire balancing beads.

Rodger

Inside some of the MRAP tires there is a tar-like stuff, mine have it, that the balancing beads stick to and then can not move.
It seems to come with the run flat- bead lock. I think it is there to seal holes, but do not know.

Rodger

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Directly from the Slime website FAQ.

[h=3]Can Slime be added to a tire to balance it?[/h]No. We do not recommend using Slime for this purpose.

zout

Ditto on the above advice - also when the military added any product for punctures the MFG's had specific ounces per tire size and it never states a balancer - BEADS is the way to go - use them all the time in the fleet trucks.

I would stay away from slime at all costs.... I worked in the medium truck and heavy equipment tire business for 13 yrs and that stuff is a nightmare to clean out when it finally doesn't work and you need to patch a tire.

If your going to try and balance there are lots of good liquid tire balnacers/conditioners. I would also stay away from equal balance because that stuff likes to clump up and still won't balance.

Here's any idea. We had several customers who insisted on running golf balls inside there tires. They swore by it. Just drop 3 or 4 in and try it..... no freezing no clumping no clogging valve stems they just roll around. If it doesn't work just take them out.

Lonnie

I always had problem with slime causing a vibration.

Added it to my quad & had to remove the tires to get it back out... about shook the bars out of my hands.
Wanted it for flat prevention, but could not ride it at any speed afterwards.

Also used it in an emergency in my pickup tire once & it vibrated terribly.

Scarecrow1

I used it my front tires and it did help. I used about a half in each one . I still plan on putting it in the rear ones , when the weather warms up that is . My main concern with antifreeze was if I get a nail or small enough hole to plug the antifreeze could interfere with the plugging of the tire ........

Rodger

The MRAP tires with run-flat beadlocks (like mine) have a sticky material inside that might catch and hold golf balls
The more I think about it, the more I think I will see if the local tire shops or truck service shops can balance them.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same with the late generation HMMWV tires. That stuff in there is a lubricant for the run-flat insert to work properly, but it is also way to sticky to imagine that golf balls or anything solid would be able to roll freely, inside.
There must be a reason the HMMWV tires/ wheels come balanced via stick-on adhesive weights...?

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks