• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get rid of play in steering

copperline

I have read in several places that there is some kind of adjustment on the steering box that may get rid of slop in the steering wheel. The issue is that no one actually tells you HOW. Just that its there. I have looked all over my steering box and I don't see any kind of adjusting nut or bolt or anything.

Anyone know how to do this?

I have about a fifth of a turn of play which is quite a lot when you are on a road.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not done my 37 yet and it is not too bad but I did do my 47 Ford. If I remember I jacked up the whole axle and checked cock to cock any binding when adjusting the sector shaft. I could also check anything else for to much play in the steering system.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To adjust the M37 steering box, jack up the front axle. Turn lock-to-lock, counting the turns. Turn back to numerical center.

There is a nut on the backside (engine side) of the box, remove same and star washer. using a stubby flat blade screwdriver, turn the screw in a half turn or so.

Run the wheel lock-to-lock and see if it hits a middle hard spot. If so, back out the screw just a hair and repeat.

If not, run it in just a bit and repeat.

When you get to where it doesn't get hard to turn with lock-to-lock, replace star washer (actually a position lock) and nut.

Also make sure the threaded plugs in the ends of the drag links are tight. Pull the cotter pins and try to tighten with a bigassed screwdriver after lubing.

DG

tobyS

The reason for going stop to stop is they can wear a lot in the middle and getting it tight in the middle can bind on the less worn area. Sound like the adjustment worked.

54M37

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a worm gear on the end of the steering shaft which turns a quadrant gear. The quadrant gear is part of the shaft that pitman arm bolts on to. I have rebuilt boxes that have either worn worms or gears or both. If that is the case then when you try to adjust the box with the adjusting screw, you will not find the tight spot in the center but to the sides where there is little wear.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37's never get the mileage civilian vehicles do.

An old-old-old one has 30K on the clock.

Dodge technical lit specified an average engine lifespan was 15K.

Running at top RPM and lubricants of the day, plus soldiers' foot...

DDG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks