• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove a pitmann arm or steering wheel whitout acetylene

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to remove the Pitmann arm of our M51A2. Earlier I already tried to remove the steering wheel as well. I used two pulling devices, one smaller with two legs, one larger (about 1 1/2 feet long, solid, heavy) with three legs. In all cases, I soaked them in WD several days in front several times.

No dice

With the biggest puller, I started to crack the steering wheel without any movement. With the Pittman arm, I switch to the larger one because I was scared to brake the smaller one. Put the larger one in place, started turning until max tension. Started hitting the Pitmann arm with a large blacksmith hammer. Applied more WD40. Left the puller under tension for longer time (1 hour). Turner further and started to actually bend the puller shaft (almost 1/2 inch thick)!! kept it there and prolonged hit the arm next to the puller from all sides, hoping to scare the arm free. No dice.

Acetylene probably would do the trick, but I cannot get our large burner (two heavy 5-feet flasks) close to the truck.

How do I get this thing loose without the large burner close?? Any ideas? Probably my little camping gaz burner will not do the trick; the canister will be empty before the metal gets warm.

Bighorn

I tried to remove the Pitmann arm of our M51A2. Earlier I already tried to remove the steering wheel as well. I used two pulling devices, one smaller with two legs, one larger (about 1 1/2 feet long, solid, heavy) with three legs. In all cases, I soaked them in WD several days in front several times.

No dice

With the biggest puller, I started to crack the steering wheel without any movement. With the Pittman arm, I switch to the larger one because I was scared to brake the smaller one. Put the larger one in place, started turning until max tension. Started hitting the Pitmann arm with a large blacksmith hammer. Applied more WD40. Left the puller under tension for longer time (1 hour). Turner further and started to actually bend the puller shaft (almost 1/2 inch thick)!! kept it there and prolonged hit the arm next to the puller from all sides, hoping to scare the arm free. No dice.

Acetylene probably would do the trick, but I cannot get our large burner (two heavy 5-feet flasks) close to the truck.

How do I get this thing loose without the large burner close?? Any ideas? Probably my little camping gaz burner will not do the trick; the canister will be empty before the metal gets warm.
I have always had luck with a simple plumbers torch using MAP gas or even propane cylinders.
Heat the area around the shaft but not the shaft itself.
Takes a long time but when PB Blaster or WD 40 vaporizes and smokes upon squirting it on the item, turn off the torch and quickly spray the heck out of the area until it cools off.
It seems to soak in between the parts when applied hot.
Then begin heating again and try the puller.

lindsey97

Very small torch, and a handful of candles.

Heat the area up, then shut off the torch, and push the candles into the heated area until cold or out of candles. The wax will penetrate down into the splines or threads and lubricate the stuck area.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very small torch, and a handful of candles.

Heat the area up, then shut off the torch, and push the candles into the heated area until cold or out of candles. The wax will penetrate down into the splines or threads and lubricate the stuck area.
That's a new one for me, never heard it before. Worth a try (if I can get candles here)

So I will try with my small burner and some spare fillings, see if those two tricks work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks