• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to title/register trailer

BSH

I just bought a M101A1 in pretty good shape from GL and got it home safe. How can I get a title and register it? I'm in PA.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get the SF97? Some states will let you register it with just a bill of sale. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the right agent. I've been back to the same agency and got something registered when just days earlier they wouldn't register it with exactly the same paperwork.

amanco

In Ohio, I have registered two trailers, they didn't even look at them. You just give them a weight slip, descirbe it and get your tags. No title, only registration.

BSH

I just talked to the PA DMV - man, are they difficult. They say I need to go through a court process for an "involuntary transfer of ownership." ??? If anybody else in PA has gone through the process of getting a title for a MV, I'd appreciate some tips and assistance.

To get the SF97, I need to get an inspection of the trailer, right? From any state-authorized inspector? And then I submit that to GL with the application, and I get the SF97. Then what? PA DMV sounds so clueless, they wouldn't know what a SF97 is or what to do with it.

Westech

CPL
title a trailer LOL HA AHA AH AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHHHHH thats funny!!!!!!!!!!! In alot of states if is under 3k pounds you dont have to do a thing. as long as you have a bill of sale your set. like a trailer from home depot... you just get it in a box, and a bill of sale thats all you need.

CGarbee

I have the form in front of me from GL that you fill out and send to them to get a SF97 (filling it out for my M817). It has a section on top for trucks, one on the bottom for trailers. The instructions say to fill it out and return it (signed) and that they will ping your CC for $60 for each vehicle/trailer that you want a SF97 for (or you send them a MO or Certified Check) and they send you the SF97. They caution that incomplete forms will be delayed as they have to have complete info (can't send out a SF97 with missing info) and that incorrect data will cause delays and problems getting titles from states if you have an incorrect SF97. No where does it say that you have to have the form filled out by a LEO... Fill it out yourself... It says "I am attaching information requred to complete a SF97, which I have either personally verified by inspection or had an inspection completed..."

Now, a few notes about trialer tags in my state since it sounds like yours takes a similar view of things...

In NC, you have to title trailers and you put tags on them as well (got to have a title before you can register it and get tags...). Need a SF97 from GL if you purchased from them...

If you purchased a trialer at Home Depot (in a box or assembled), you get to take your Home Depot Bill of Sale down to the tag/title place and you get to attach a VIN tag to your trailer in additiion to the regular trailer tag... They will either state the manufacturer as the folks who made the kit or call it homebuilt depending on who pushes the paperwork.

In NC, the Permenent tag fee is same as five years of annual tag, if you keep a trailer at least five years, permenant tag is less expensive. Same tag fee for all trailers regardless of weight since towing vehicle has to have a tag that has enough declared weight to cover the GVCW of the combination at the time you are checked (if you are...).

BSH

Garbee, thanks for the guidance. PA is much the same - you MUST have a title in order to register. I was actually behind a guy in line at Tractor Supply who bought a trailer there, and he had the PA title paperwork in his hand at the register. Like I said, PA is a pain.
By the way, I have your website bookmarked. I love your info - keep it up. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks