• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to turn up fuel on M35a2?

What is the procedure to turn up the fuel pump on the M35 multifuel engine? I know there was a posting that showed the process picture by picture with descriptions but I can't find it doing a search. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Andy

halftrack

Can anyone explain or show pictures on exactly how to do this process. My truck runs real low rpms at first start and wants to die until after about 10 minutes. Then if I don't have my foot pressed on the pedal a little bit after it warms up then it wantst to die sometimes. The motor doesn't smoke an ounce and it runs strong when running. I am assuming it is a fuel adjustment problem. The truck always did this since my possesion from GL about 5 years ago.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whether turned up fuel costs you a motor or not is entirely related to how you drive the truck. A pyrometer or a boost gage are good tools to have for your reference. We own trucks that have been turned up, and with responsible driving, have never lost a turbo or motor. It is all related to how long you use the maximum power.
We have a 5 ton tractor that would not start and run right when cold until we turned up the fuel. It is really harder on them, in my opinion, to have no smoke and be pushing the motor all of the time to get the power you need. You will find that with turned up fuel, you can let out the clutch and get the truck moving without having to be on the accelerator. This saves clutch wear.
Regards Marti

Barrman

Thanks for posting the trouble shooting manual. I don't think I have seen that before. Very informative in real world terms compared to trying to look at 6 pages at once to decipher the IP manual.

Andy, that linked trouble shooting manual should have answered all your questions.

dave f

I have recently turned up the fuel a little bit on my duece. I turned the screw a little more than a quarter turn. I just wanted to make sure i didnt turn it too much. How far can i turn it up before i get the exhaust too hot?

pyrogod117

Hey guys, I have a few questions:

What is the low/high temp range for a stock deuce?
What is the low/high temp range for a deuce with the fuel turned up?
What are safe ranges?
Why do EGTs matter so much?

I never really understood it.

Thanks

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Install a pyrometer before the turbo and adjust so temps stay below the melting point of aluminum pistons and turbo blades. Also excessive black smoke is unburnt fuel. ( a sign you've gone too far.)
Keep it under 1200°F to be safe.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have recently turned up the fuel a little bit on my duece. I turned the screw a little more than a quarter turn. I just wanted to make sure i didnt turn it too much. How far can i turn it up before i get the exhaust too hot?
Please read Marti's post again. It's not the screw it's the foot.

mudguppy

Hey guys, I have a few questions:

What is the low/high temp range for a stock deuce? ...
almost impossible to say. my baseline hi-temp (stock fuel setting) was about 1000°F max.

... What is the low/high temp range for a deuce with the fuel turned up? ...
this can vary. many folks on here believe that the instant you exceed 1200°F you will toast your engine. this is not true. 1250° is the 'accepted' max EGT range for continuous operation. again - continuous operation. intermitent operation can be higher for brief periods. example, if you hit 1400° for a few seconds, no worries - just don't pull that real long grade at that kind of temperature for 45+ seconds.

... What are safe ranges? ...
this can vary by what you mean 'safe'. as previously stated, 1250°F is 'accepted' for max continous. one method when turning up the fuel is adjust it so this is the max temp you can produce; then you won't have to worry about over-fueling on that long grade.

another method is to adjust to your power liking and monitor your temps - this is what i do. my truck will climb into 1350°F EGTs on a long grade on the hi-way; if i stay there, i will likely cause damage. rather, i periodically check the EGT guage, and back off accordingly. you don't have to stare at the guage, just check it periodically when you're in the go-pedal for a bit.

... Why do EGTs matter so much? ...
EGTs are a measure of how much fuel you are putting into the engine and how hard the engine is working with the air intake charge available.

Install a pyrometer before the turbo and adjust so temps stay below the melting point of aluminum pistons and turbo blades. ...
this is not necessary - AL can melt at far lower temps than the EGTs experienced. the pistons experience these temps very briefly and are cooled in other manners. the key is prolonged exposure to hi-EGTs.

... Also excessive black smoke is unburnt fuel. ( a sign you've gone too far.) ...
this is not true. black = burnt, white = unburnt, gray = mixture of the two. black is soot, which is present in idle exhaust. however, as fuel / load increases, the ratio of soot to other exhaust gases increases. heavy black smoke is a representation of this ratio and can also indicate a lack of air intake or less than adequate turbocharging performance for the fuel / load demands.

... Keep it under 1200°F to be safe.
if you would like.

militarysteel

so because there is not a waste gate on the stock C or D turbo, this means boost is purely controlled by exhaust pressure. so by turning up the fuel you are turning up the boost as well.. What is the most PSI anyone has seen with a turned up deuce? i think i am going to turn mine up next weekend.

chrish8620

newbie here..... i click on the link above for turning my ip up and it takes me to a new page where there are tons of new pages to click on. i know i must be doing something wrong. any help to get to the specific page would be appreciated

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks