• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee project

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like HMMWVs are half off!

Where'd you get this project? Hard to find beater HMMWVs, since you technically can't get them surplus anymore.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like a nice straight body/frame. Have you tracked down all the parts you need to complete it yet or are you just getting started?

AMTAK

I have 3 of these projects going. I have rolling chasis and fair bodys. I think I will do all the body work then sell two of them as mechanic specials. I have built 3 of these in the past and it takes alot of time and money. I never seem to keep any of my trucks, I always have an eye on something else.

AMTAK

Yea I know austin well. I have gotten pallets of stuff from him. Lots of other good parts there also. Did anyone see the guy selling 6.2 hummer take out motors on ebay from a rebuild program in LA TX area? Man that was alot of motors.

AMTAK

I had a one ton truck with a 6.2 manual trans with real low gears. It wouldn't do 55 on the highway. So a customer of mine had a gear vendor on his 6.2 suburban he said he loved it. So I got one for my 1 ton. It worked great. Gives you a gear between the gears and if it fails you can still move. The price is a little high I paid $2500. I parted the truck out on ebay I think I got $1200 for it.
Looks like we will have an endless supply of 6.2s. I think I will get a CUCV blazer.

TheBuggyman

I had a 6.2 in a 3/4 ton Sub, I wasn't too fond of that engine and I wasn't real fond of the 6.5 either in the truck that replaced it. That Duramax is a hoss though, I don't have one but my buddy does with the six gun tuner. Yummy.

AMTAK

I would like to put a duramax in the humvee I plan on keeping. I saw a vid on u tube of a military duramax/conversion drag racing a stock hummer. It smoked it, literaly.

RSOVRanger

well considering that you can milk a duramax to get a crew cab pickup to do sub-11 in the quarter mile... a duramax HMMWV H1A mutant would have the capacity to at LEAST turn some heads when it takes off like a raped ape.

dilvoy

I think the extra power that the duramax has would be a welcomed change, but like installing a V8 into a Austin Healy or something similar, there are always compromises to be made. I think on the Alphas, the weak link was the halfshafts. AMG had to program the computer so the engine did not make full powere in first and second gears. Ofcourse this is a manufacturer, who has to warrantee the vehicle for use.

Dieselsmoke

Stuffing a d'max in the HMMWV is pretty staightforward if you know what you're doing. Plumbing the intercooler is a bitch but that can be worked around through programming.

ElkyRacer

Personally Id be very weary of the 6.2s pulled out in the NE Texas area. Not sure how any of the other RECAP facilities do it, but when they pull the packs here, they are banded up on a pallett and set outside in the weather for who knows how long. Granted the teardown workers are SUPPOSED to plug off every hole with caps and plugs, but Id still be very very weary of them.

Kyle

AMTAK

I would like to see some pics. of a conversion. I found a web sight that says they do them but not many pics.
What about the wire harness? The intercooler? Fan shroud? Motor mounts?

hummin2london

Duramax is pretty straightforward as far as mounting it goes. You can buy the engine mounts from AMG for the H1 Alpha that has the Dmax stock and it will all bolt up. You'll also need the fan shroud and a host of other bits. Something that you will absolutely need is a dash. The Dmax and Allison gearbox use it to talk to each other. Programming is a PITA but can be done.

Pics are from a company in San Diego that has done it. The engine is almost dead stock but a huge amount of work was done on the gearbox to keep the Dmax from destroying the drivetrain. This truck runs in the sands at Glamis (SoCal)

Attachments

ElkyRacer

so is that just a roller? Just out of curiousity, and I hope Im not being too nosy, how much did that body-on-frame cost you? Feel free to PM me if you want, or not reply at all! Just looking at some options!

Keep up the nice work!
Kyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks