• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Thermostat Housing Problem

Hummer Guy

Today I went to install the thermostat on the humvee and realize yesterday that I snapped the bolt head off, now I just got threads sticking out. The question is, can the whole thermostat housing on the engine be changed easily?

Taking off the broken bolt is the last thing I want to do; I already needed a breaker bar to just get the bolt to turn before the head snapped.

Attachments

Reactions: OBX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, never use an impact wrench
you have corrosion that’s preventing this bolt from coming out, luckily you have enough to grab via vise grips, you want to start my soaking it in penetrating oil, then hit it with a propane torch, let it cool for 10mins, hit it again with heat, get a good grip on the bolt and start try to turn it…there is no more tension on the bolt threads because you broke the head off.
also, make sure someone didnt run a stud all the way through because they stripped the threads out previously and there is a nut on the back side, seen it many times.

Hummer Guy

Ok, never use an impact wrench
you have corrosion that’s preventing this bolt from coming out, luckily you have enough to grab via vise grips, you want to start my soaking it in penetrating oil, then hit it with a propane torch, let it cool for 10mins, hit it again with heat, get a good grip on the bolt and start try to turn it…there is no more tension on the bolt threads because you broke the head off.
also, make sure someone didnt run a stud all the way through because they stripped the threads out previously and there is a nut on the back side, seen it many times.
Yep, I checked that, there's no bolt in the back

Hummer Guy

How does the housing come off? I figured that if I removed both of the bolts from both sides, it'll pop off, but the side closer to the driver side don't want to come off

If I had the housing off, I'll be able to get my torch on it better and have a better grip with some pliers on a vice

87cr250r

If you have a hole through it you can use an EZ Out. Put it in your oven for 20 minutes at 300 degrees and then use the EZ Out while hot. Don't force it, it should come out with modest effort. You don't want to break the EZ out.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, and iI thought disasters only happened to me.. Glad Im not the only one this crap happens to 😂

Drill and re tap... Just dont over drill the old threads..

Id nut and bolt it though.. Save about 3 hours of your life youll never get back ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks