• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I guess this qualifies, as over 5 ton. LVT4

Whitey

A little paint and TLC and she'll be good as new! I never realized how tall those things were until I stood next to the one at the Findlay, OH show. They are a neat piece of machinery.

surfdog

Just recently talked with a WWII Coast Guard vet lately who was a machine gunner on a landing craft at Omaha Beach on D-Day. Don't know if it was this type or not.

I never knew the Coast Guard participated in combat operations like that. Did a little searching and found this historical info...

Here's a link to the official CG site:

U.S. Coast Guard History

AndrewH

Maby it's time fora watercraft section.....

We now have proof of evolution. Did yours start like this and grow tracks? I like yours because you could drive right out. I wonder if the DNR guy would still want to check your fish?

Attachments

Gunfreak25

That is the coolest vehicle I have ever seen on all of SS. You have just set the bar higher for a lot of us, who's holy grail once before was something like a M125 Mack or HEMTT.

[Note to self, spend retirement money on an LVT4]

waayfast

Agreed! That is one of the coolest vehicles in the hobby in my eyes.

Now, not to hi-jack but since this monster got bumped up today I'll use the opportunity to ask those on the board that know these things-----I have done a bit of research and have seen mention on the al-mighty interweb, that "some" LVT's were powered by the Guiberson 9 cylinder air cooled radial engine (diesel).

Can anyone verify this and /or that some landing crafts were also powered by the Guiberson Diesel?

Oh, and Jeff--you are one lucky feller to end up with this piece-----we all want to see it painted and giving rides in the drink!!:D

Jim

68427vette

yeap,, used in the quarry to break the ice during frozed days so they could mine the sand out during the winter months,,,

OH, by the way,, i have a LVT4A coming in..:whistle:. now i need a 75mm turretrofl
jc

i have 2 continental 670 radial gas engines!! :popcorn:

Last edited:

BillF

I know where there is an LVT sitting in NH. Not doing anything just sitting rusting away. They are cool rigs wish I could get it and have the space and money to restore it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks