• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I keep fouling a plug

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try swapping your spark plug wires and see if the trouble swaps sides also(bad wire)? Is it fouling with gasoline or oil?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think one wire is longer now that I think about it. (See picture). So you won't be able to swap the wire from one side to another.

Does it use oil between changes? Blue smoke from the exhaust?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever resolve this issue?

Mine seems to carbon foul the right cyl(sitting on it). Just changed it for the second time in about 1.5 years. It will pop back through the intake under a load, when it gets to the point it needs to be changed.

Maybe I need to try replacing the wire on that side.

I've been using Champion XMD21 plugs.

armytruck63

My mule does the same thing except on the drivers side. In my case it is defintely gas fouling. It seems that a little too much choke when starting adds to the problem.

When the plug is cleaned, the mule runs great until the next fouling. I was planning to check valve adjustment until I remembered the hydraulic tappets. Looks like I will have to look into hotter plugs.

Charlie

You might want to go to a hotter plug, some engines just won't run with the regular Autolite 2223, try the Autolite 2226 or Champion MDX-21. Also make sure your idle is not too low, should be around 800, plugs fowl at low RPM and you need to make sure you are keeping the air movong in the engine to keep it cool.

6x6guy

The hot plugs took care of my leaking ring problem from fouling out the standard plugs, a rebuild or new engine will be in your future, :roll:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Right, IF you can get the valve cover off without breaking off the screws and twisting off the drain-back line!

another reason why the military gave up on the 4 cylinder engines and went 2 cylinder's FTW!!!( for the win):)

ok getting back on topic i don't have this prob anymore i just made some adjustments to the carb and away we go... and a $1,000 engine rebuild helps and also hot plugs:)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks