• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IBC tote question...

Tlauden

Well today I found a guy here in my town selling them big IBC Totes! I went and bought one. Well $40 later I had it back at the fire house and was pondering some stuff. Obviously they aren't baffled, so there is alot of "slosh" room. Has anyone ever had problems going down the highway and them making a truck (ram 1500 for example) start swaying/acting weird. I figure at half full, roughly 150 gallons. That's ALOT of weight. I don't know how much oil weighs but I'm figurin it's more than water....

And While talking about weight, do you guys actually move these suckers around full? Or pump from tank A to tank B?

These were my two biggest dilemmas so to say.... Now I just gotta go wash the 1 inch of molasas out of it :lol: smells good though hahah

Thanks again,
Tyler

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
totes and oil

If it floats on water then it must be lighter. Water = 8 lbs/gallon, oils around
6 lbs./gallon.

I've used totes and they're not too bad about sloshing. Not a lot of room for the liquid to move like in a tanker. Of coarse, the bigger the vehicle the better the ride. I would be more concerned about weight and stopping distances especially with a 1500.

Good luck,
Orren

Well today I found a guy here in my town selling them big IBC Totes! I went and bought one. Well $40 later I had it back at the fire house and was pondering some stuff. Obviously they aren't baffled, so there is alto of "slosh" room. Has anyone ever had problems going down the highway and them making a truck (ram 1500 for example) start swaying/acting weird. I figure at half full, roughly 150 gallons. That's ALTO of weight. I don't know how much oil weighs but I'm figurin it's more than water....

And While talking about weight, do you guys actually move these suckers around full? Or pump from tank A to tank B?

These were my two biggest dilemmas so to say.... Now I just gotta go wash the 1 inch of molasas out of it :lol: smells good though hahah

Thanks again,
Tyler

jj

I was moving fuel oil in a 275 gal. IBC for one heating season. 1979 GMC one-tone dual wheel with a wheelbase long enough for a 12-foot truck bed. I only put 250 gallons in at a time. Yes, it did slosh some, yes, you could feel it in the driver's seat. The big truck and dual wheels soaked up a lot of the motion. It really wasn't too bad. The inability to predict and plan for other loose nuts and their activities on the highway is what stopped the process. A shame, the self-delivered fuel was cheaper. Try it for yourself, starting with a partial fill and work up to your comfort level. Remember though, if something goes wrong, Mr.Man is going to be looking at that tank capacity and your lack of Haz-Mat paperwork or endorsements appropriate to that capacity.

Tlauden

If it floats on water then it must be lighter. Water = 8 lbs/gallon, oils around
6 lbs./gallon.

Good luck,
Orren
Thanks. I didn't even think about that detail haha
aua aua aua aua aua

And thanks guys, maybe instead of pushing the truck to it's limits, I'll use this as an excuse to get a 2 ton trailer!! I'm thinking a trailer I really wouldn't have weight issues, just maybe swaying...

paulfarber

A full tote is just over a ton (8 * 275 = 2200) so you will need to be aware of the weight. If you fill it up that should eliminate sloshing and you are just dealing with a 2200 load and its inertia.

Without a forklift you are not moving a full tote. If you have debris free oil then a trash pump is the quickest (most have 1in+ input) but you will spend a ton of money of non-collapsible hose. Those things are just not cheap.

Us small timers will use a gear driven pump. 5-10gpm.. so think 30 minutes to drain a tote.

One thing about IBC totes is that you should ever use a bulkhead penetration (cutting the plastic is a no no) and not all of the threads on the valves are standard. I have a metric threaded one. The adapters are available, but I pump from the top opening.

Tlauden

Without a forklift you are not moving a full tote. If you have debris free oil then a trash pump is the quickest (most have 1in+ input) but you will spend a ton of money of non-collapsible hose. Those things are just not cheap.

Us small timers will use a gear driven pump. 5-10gpm.. so think 30 minutes to drain a tote.
Thanks, The setup i am working on will only require a pump for loading it into the truck and then filtering, I am actually working off a Ledge type setup so once i have a full tote, i back my truck up, connect the hose to the one in my truck and put it through the opening on the storage tote and let gravity do the rest:D Although im keeping an eye out for a cheap old trash pump to do my collecting:)

for now though i might stick with 55 Gal barrels for collecting, 2 at a time, 110 gallons seems safer than almost 300.

here's some pics in case i didnt explain it well enough, once i get the setup i want ill start a build thread on it:D:D 1&2 is one of the tanks with WVO in it, i will shortly get a second tank right beside with WMO. pic 3 is the top side view. perfect level with the ground, pic 4 i just threw in, it was my retrieval vehicle:-o:-o

Tanks for the advice though!!!

Attachments

paulfarber

Does the seller have any more totes for $40? That's an insane price for here in PA. I cannot find them for less than $100. I could use 2 more. I have 4 now and the **** things are just so useful. Stacking them is just a huge bonus.

Tlauden

Yes, he has a bunch more and said he gets them on a regular basis. If you would like, tomorrow I can get his contact info to you. I don't have it with me right this moment. They come from a food company, but they need cleaned. The two we got (my chief got one and I got one) had molasses in them but they cleaned up beautifully with some hot water. I'll PM ya tomorrow with more details.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
west coast IBC totes

Does anyone know of a source in the Pacific northwest for these IBC totes? I would like to get a couple of the 220 gallon size or four of the 120 gallon size.

HanksDeuce

I have a 275 gallon IBC tote as well. A web search didn't really come up with any regulations for transporting oil based on container size. I seem to remember someone telling me you are okay as long as you transport in 55 gallons drums or smaller. Anybody know of any regulations out there for transporting oil as far as HAZMAT or other gov't agencies?

I found a local supplier for WMO today. Depending on what regulations are out there for container size I might purchase a water buffalo trailer and use it for WMO pickup. That is, if the Feds will let me.

Attachments

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious about rules also. I plan on going on the MVPA Alcan hiway convoy this next summer and would like to bring at least 200 gallons of waste oil with me. My thinking is that I will be less likely to be hassled about that "fuel" if it is in a DOT approved conveyance devise, properly strapped down. With 200 gallons I can mix 50/50 with diesel oil and cut my fuel bill in half. I would think they would not see the IBC as threatening as 4 bbls. When I get home I will use the IBC tank with my WMO filtering system. The big question is does Canada, BC, Yukon have issues with you not buying taxed fuel in thier juristiction and how much can you carry without being in violation of some hazmat law? I fear that calling and asking someone in BC DOT will just raise red flags, inspections, etc. With a Buffalo trailer I am afraid you might get lumped under commercial rules....would not want to go there! Working for Alaska DOT, I can get answers straight from the regs, without having to ask a bureaucrat. I don't have that luxery for Canada. I know that in Alaska I file an individual report for fuel tax purposes and pay the small tax for gallons used on-road of alternative fuels. Canada may have a similar self-reporting form, then I only would have to worry about a law that limits oil as cargo, or total amounts allowed on non-commercial rigs. Anyone out there with info, feel free to point me in the right direction!

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW - an earlier post in this thread showed 6lb/gall for diesel. #2 diesel fuel weighs about 7.15 lb/gall. according to my conversion charts. 200 gallons is 1430 lbs.

bill2444

I get the full totes out of the back of my Chevy by taking off the tail gate and placing 2 heavy wooden planks on the bumper. Then I use my winch on my jeep to skid them down onto the planks and onto my barn floor. Works really well for me.

Hammer

Bingo!
You NEED to make sure you make it clear it is USED motor oil, NOT waste motor oil.
Used motor oil is no big deal, within reason, waste motor oil is meant that it is contaminated beyond a certain percentage, and is regulated.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the seller have any more totes for $40? That's an insane price for here in PA. I cannot find them for less than $100. I could use 2 more. I have 4 now and the **** things are just so useful. Stacking them is just a huge bonus.

I agree with Paulfarber, I have them stacked 4 hi, The footprint is small. Big Bonus...!

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IBC totes - 275 gallon

I know I'm a long way from AK but to let everyone know I have 4 IBC totes
with new valves available here in North Florida.

If interested call 386-658-3539

Thanks, Orren

Does anyone know of a source in the Pacific northwest for these IBC totes? I would like to get a couple of the 220 gallon size or four of the 120 gallon size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks