• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify this vehicle

Hi all, I do not know if I am in the right area but I feel I am somewhat in the ballpark of the right place. I need some assistance in identifying this vehicle and the ballpark of year. I may end up going to pick this thing up in Idaho here in the next couple weeks but I don't even know what this thing is. Thank you guys in advance.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1488779089.620946.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1488779101.791994.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unimog model 404. Probably 60s, most are, but could be very early 70s. Looks modified with tank under left side? Do you have more pictures?

Unfortunatly I dont have any more pictures of it. I totally agree, it would be an awsome off road camper and I would probably drive it a lot more than my 5 ton since it would actually fit in a parking spot. Thank you guys, I appreciate the help.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unimog 404 radio trucks are great trucks. Just remember they are low powered and have manual steering and brakes but once you have the bugs worked out they are remarkably reliable. I really like them. They are extremely capable trucks. The photo in snow is busting trail to the top of Mt Evans in CO in winter, 15,000 ft elev. The Golden Crack pictures are in Moab, UT, and I never touched the clutch to cross it. The 404 just puttered right across.

Not that I'm trying to temp you or anything LOL

Attachments

peakbagger

The vast majority are gas engines there were a few that got the OM352 diesel. These rigs are built in an amazing number of variations the best thing to do is get the chassis number which I think is stamped in the passenger side frame rail ahead of the front tire. There are individuals and suppliers who can run that number in Mercedes database and tell you exactly how it was equipped when it left the factory.

They will go anywhere but not very quickly. I think the number one complaint is lack of power

Here is probably a very good link to check out http://www.unimogcentre.com/unimog404.html

Update:
Well it has been an adventure. Headed up to Kooskia, Idaho leaving Las Cruces, New Mexico on Monday morning. First day made it to Moab, Utah with zero problems. Tuesday, drove therest of the way to Kooskia. 1,400 miles one way. Wednesday morning went up to the property and could finally see what we got ourselves into. First trailer was very easy to load, just used to winch and it rolled right up. Second trailer was the biggest obstacle. First we hooked up to it in order to move it over to the extra communications box so we could load it up, but the wheels were locked up and just drug along. After hitting the brake drums with large sledge hammers, they seemed to free up nicely. Next we had to carefully lift one end of the box and wedge the trailer under it and mount it to the trailer. Finally we loaded the second trailer. We measured very carefully and determined the back wheels of the unimog would just barely fit on the back of the trailer. Hooked up the winch to the mog and it slowly made it up on the trailer. We were fighting for inches on trying to gt everything as close together as we could, while not having it touch. It really is a work of art on how we everything on that 30 ft trailer. Other than it hailing on us and the truck getting stuck in the slick Idaho mud, everything went smooth.

Finally headed back today. Made it 400 miles and called it quits. Planning on a long day tomorrow trying to make it the last 1,000 miles in a day. Also just did a complete fresh overhaul on the 6.7 cummins done about 2,000 miles ago, I would say this trip is a pretty good way to break it in. Right?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing you went through my hometown (Grangeville). I think I would have left the 105 just to have more room on the trailer.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally it would be, yes. But I can pluck a trailer off of his trailer with the HMMH's crane, so it would really only be a matter of undoing the tie downs.
Then I'd have two 105s that I wouldn't know what to do with.

Been on the road all day, everything is going good. "Mkcoen" answer is yes, spent two nights in Grangeville. I guess we really lucked out, we left the mountains yesterday afternoon. Thank god we did! That wouldn't have been fun to drive in! Already down into Denver so I guess its a little late to stop by and drop the trailers off! But man this rig is getting bad mileage going down the road, I guess all this green iron isn't very aerodynamic!

Update on the unimog. Got the old thing running, put a battery in it and it fired up on the first try. Checked all the fluids and drove it around and man is this thing gutless! I checked the air filter and happened to find a wasp nest in there. Cleaned that out and it seemed to pick up some power. Who would have thunk? Driving it around max speed is 40mph floored down hill. I have read that they can at least hit 50. But man is this thing a dog. Does this seem right or is it just really THAT SLOW? I am sure it running on propane doesnt help the power but i NEED more power out of this thing! Does the pertronix ignition help out on the power at all? At the speed this thing goes, I need to leave places an hour earlier than usual just to make it there on time!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the air filter and happened to find a wasp nest in there. Cleaned that out and it seemed to pick up some power.
If you want it to run sweeter, General Hood has honey (from his own bees) that you could use as a replacement for the wasp nest.
Anyway, I have no clue how un-peppy a 404 is, but imagine it weighing in at 16,000 lbs., like a SEE, and you get a new yardstick for slow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks