• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition Security

erasedhammer

I have the locking door latches and the keyed ignition and I use the steering lock, and I feel pretty safe about the truck, but I always make sure to leave nothing loose inside.

So lets say a thief comes along and I happen to leave my door unlocked and my steering wheeling unlocked. And lets say that this thief does not have a lock pick set. How easy is it to hot wire a humvee? The ignition wires are pretty exposed, but could you simply cross the starter wire and the 24v wire and steal the truck?

Also, for fun I had one of my friends who is handy with lock picks try and break into my truck and steal it. Short of not waiting for the glow plugs he succeeded. Anyone on here done some security upgrades beyond the basic locking doors and keyed ignition?
I've gotten pretty tricky with leaving the transfer case in neutral and the shifter in drive.

Mario

Anything can be stolen.
I installed a kill switch and leave the truck in gear. Soft or no door, don't bother with the steering lock and have original toggle switch.
I don't think many are out to steal a very visible, slow target.
I don't know how many punks would know how to start it without YouTubing it first.

As for wire harness, like you said, its all out there.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locking door latches is kind of stupid if you have a soft top. Takes 2 minutes to open the rear curtain.

Wire Fox

Locking door latches is kind of stupid if you have a soft top. Takes 2 minutes to open the rear curtain.
For me, it actually would make sense. I have a 2 door and have the cargo barrier with the extension kit installed. It would be very tricky to get tools through that and access all of the necessary bolts to remove the barrier...it would be much faster to brute force through the soft top itself.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have the keyed ignition and added a on/off switch that is hidden and prevents the starter from turning.
My best security add on is from SpyTec, it's a real time GPS tracker, I can set a a safety perimeter, so if the vehicle moves or starts or even just towed away I get a text message, then I can track it via my laptop or Iphone. The initial cost is about $50.00 for the unit and $25.00 a month for the service, it's a small price for peace of mind.
81Xv5REeNxL.jpg

Mario

I also have the keyed ignition and added a on/off switch that is hidden and prevents the starter from turning.
My best security add on is from SpyTec, it's a real time GPS tracker, I can set a a safety perimeter, so if the vehicle moves or starts or even just towed away I get a text message, then I can track it via my laptop or Iphone. The initial cost is about $50.00 for the unit and $25.00 a month for the service, it's a small price for peace of mind.
View attachment 686045
$300/year is not a small price, but I hear what you're saying.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a killer security, find an old electric brake lock (goes in the brake line), they have a pressure switch and when "activated" every time you step on the brake it locks them, or re-locks them, the only time it pulls current is when you step on the brakes, hide a switch and nobody will be able to move the vehicle, flip the switch off and step on the brakes and it unlocks, had one on a 52 chevy truck some guys were so determined they managed to move the truck about 5 feet with the rear wheels locked before giving up.

Last edited:

Mario

I've installed a 30amp hidden switch on the shift selector wire but had issues with starter -- guess there is more than just a signal going thru it.
How much current is there on the start switch? Could a small switch be installed inline with start switch to prevent cranking?

Raklatif

(Linked from a previous thread)
I just shift the transfer case into neutral, and lift out the shifter. then, put the transmission in drive.

Ix67usW.png

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try installing a hidden keyed battery disconnect switch. Pretty easy to install. and can be hidden just about anywhere.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable keyed battery disconnect?
This is the one I installed. Have it installed right above the transmission diagnostic port.

For a little less, they have one for the passenger side mounting, but can't reach it from driver's side.

JEB

Doesn't someone make a keyed switch that looks just like (and I believe replaces) the standard large ignition switch?
That would keep a stock appearance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks