• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IL - M1009 Will Not Start

48cj2a

IL - M1009 Will Not Start - Fixed!

Working on a friends CUCV M1009 and having issues trying to start.

Previously was running good - made a stop to go into a shop and would not start upon leaving.

24v starting system still in tact

New Batteries and starter - have been recharing while troubleshooting - turns over good.

Engine Cranks but will not start; engine cold; "WAIT" light operated so began with the -20TM Troubleshoot with #19 to begin with on page 2-64.

Wait light cycles but do not hear GP relay sound.

Performed the entire -20 troubleshooting for 19. which lead me to replace the GP relay in step 7. Bought a BWD GPR7 at Oreillys for $19 before my Military Discount.

After some more searching the site I checked voltage on red wire off the resistor and have 28v out of the resistor so did the bypass with the blue to red fusable link wire to the 12v Factory two post terminal eliminating the resistors.

This is where I'm stumped - GPR Orange terminal has 0v (key off) but if I open a battery terminal disconnect on the front battery I get 12v (key off).

Anyone have any ideas what is a miss?

Last edited:

joshbullock

I had similar problem yesterday and in my situation it was the fuses. Never thought to check the easiest, simplest first.

joshbullock

I don't have the diagram but I know that if you use a jumper wire from the lower small terminal to a good ground it activates the glow plugs.

48cj2a

gp bypass.jpg

Here is the new BWD GPR7 Relay.

I re-used the Blue/Red Fusible Link Wire from the Resistor from the GPR to the two post terminal...redrilled the terminal hole to the next size and it slipped right on the smaller terminal.

The double Orange wires feed the 8 GP and have 0v with the key off and if I open the battery disconnect switch the owner installed I will have 12v on the Orange wires with the key off.

Appling a ground to the light blue terminal did noting.

Something must be back feeding this circuit.

I did find a switch installed next to the volt meter but I have not traced where it goes.

Attachments

Last edited:

joshbullock

Did you test at the glow plugs?

Your correct, the double orange wire should be dead unless glow plugs are on.

cpf240

Is the new GP relay an isolated-ground unit? Meaning that there is no conductivity between the mounting tabs and either small terminal? The GP relay is activated by the GP card grounding the blue wire. The other one is hot at all times when the key is on. So, if the GP relay is not an isolated-ground relay, the GP relay will be "on" all the time, leading to burned out glow plugs and a dead battery.

48cj2a

I just checked and the small terminals are marked S and I. The S terminal has coninuity to the mounting flange.

This GPR looks identical to the GPR109 do you know if it is isolated?

48cj2a

I'll try and isolate the mounting and see if that changes anything...if not I''ll go back and get the NAPA# ST85 or Advance Auto #S603.

If I can fix this eletrical issue next will be the fuel/air leakage. The shop put in a cheap inline filter bypassing the Stanadyne system. When I went to hook it back up they lost the lower screw in valve so I tapped it and added a brass 1/4 turn valve. I noticed it is still leaking somewhere so I assume its also letting air in the system. Need to address this before attempting to crack open injector lines.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The S terminal has coninuity to the mounting flange.

This GPR looks identical to the GPR109 do you know if it is isolated?
Your relay is incorrect.

Are you asking if the GPR109 relay is correct? It is.

48cj2a

Your relay is incorrect.

Are you asking if the GPR109 relay is correct? It is.
Doghead, in your opinion do you think it is because of this not having the isolated ground?

I saw a few posts where people had gotten the GPR109 and it was marked with the S and I terminals so wondered if this was a replacement part now and the old 109 will eventually be exhausted.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All glowplug relays are not the same. They may look alike but can function differently.

The way the CUCVs are wired the Glowplug relay has to be an isolated ground unit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it needs to be an isolated ground relay to function properly.

If it is not, you'r GPs would be on all the time(until they burn out), if the wiring is original.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks