• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm 19 and seriously considering buying a deuce, am I crazy?

Cryptographer

This is my first thread and post here on Steel Soldiers, so excuse me if make any SS faux pas. I did some searching and didn't find anything satisfactory so once again excuse me if my search-fu is weak. So on to my questions.

1. Am I nuts for buying a deuce at what I assume is a relatively young age for the MV collecting hobby?

2. Is a deuce where I want to start? I do a bunch of camping and offroading and stuff during the summer, and it seems like a deuce would be a fun and practical vehicle to have around, plus adding some cargo and towing power to my friends and I's stable of vehicles.

3. This is almost certainly a question that's been beat to death, but if I'm going fully FNG might as well ask. I have another car I drive currently, and another I have access to any time, but is a deuce a reasonable daily driver, particularly in the winter when it snows? My commute is 20 minutes max, most of it county highways and backroads.

4. Pricing structure, I have been watching prices on Ebay primarily, and what a appears to be a solid truck, not showroom but for my purpose fine, is around $5grand then I see a local shop selling several of them in only slightly better or the same condition at $15grand and it messes with me. Is there a huge jump in price for a tiny bit of quality, are the Ebay trucks lemons, am I missing something altogether, or is the local guy trying to screw people?(I hate to be cynical but... yeah)

Thanks for any help guys, its good to finally join the esteemed ranks of Steel Soldiers!

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV dealers usually jack up their prices. Since you're just getting into the hobby, and because of your age, many people will say to get a CUCV. But if you ever plan on upgrading to a 5 ton, getting a deuce now would be the better option.

I'm 19 and I drive my 5 ton several times a week.

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Nope, I bought mine at 20. That wasn't all too long ago either.
2. A deuce is the most forgiving of trucks but make sure it can be insured at your age FIRST. No point in owning if you can't use it.
3. Depends on your settings. City/traffic/tight turns no. Snow and ice..not really. Take this from my experience.
4. Supply and demand. That's all one can say. "What is it worth to you?" is the question you should ask yourself. If you don't like it or have a bad feeling then move on. You'll find the right truck if you wait.

..and welcome! :p

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

First off, welcome to the site. Secondly, saying faux pas, is a faux pas...lol just playing. It is relitively late for me, and Im not all here so, Ill just say a few things. For #1....age means nothing really, as long as you got the mental capacity to handle one of these vehicles. I mean they were designed to be operated by 16-20 yr old military personell...mainly by people who were about 5'9 and weighed maybe 150 lol. For #2, no one can say yay or nay on a deuce being a good start. It all falls down to your competence, and capabilities. A deuce IS NOT A TOY. It is a heavy truck, and if improperly operated, can cause serious damage to the vehicle and property, and or serious injury or death to the driver or bystanders. It requires your full and undivided attention at all times, and does require at least SOME kind of training on how to handle something that size. Theres plenty more I can say on that but...Ill save that for later. For #3 all I will say here is... 8MPG max...45-56 MPH max...maintenence can be a few $$$ and more frequent then you expect. As long as you understand whats involved, and can deal with all that and afford to do it, then go for it. #4 is a kind of a wish-wash situation. Price ranges vary alot. I would NOT pay more then 5 grand for a deuce unless it was custom, or in PRIMO condition. If it runs, holds oil, stops on its own, has working lights and a decent body, id say 3500. But thats just me...depends on quality, condition, etc. Ask around, buy local if you can. I know everyone has their own opinions about these topics, but thats roughly what I think. Good luck and again..welcome to the madness.

Cryptographer

@Derrick Sick truck sir. It's very sharp. I pondered a CUCV, but I already have a Tahoe, and I know they aren't the same thing, but it would seem like buying a weaker diesel camouflaged one haha. A 5 Ton might be a bit overkill now, but I would like one in the future. Price jack up was what I was sort of assuming, but I didn't want to seem cynical of the MV world.

@Fuzzy No city at all, no serious traffic either, the tightest turn I'm liable to make is my house to the street, and its flat grass on all sides, so even if I overshoot while learning I should be ok. I am surprised about no snow and ice, I've seen Deuce snow plows and sorta assumed it would make a good winter ride, considered maybe plowing some snow myself, but I will take your word for it. With summer ending I'm in no huge rush to buy one , I'm gonna start saving immediately though. Good call on insurance as well thanks!

Cryptographer

@Smoke Haha thank you, I'm prepping for bed myself. I'd like to think I have the mental capacity to operate, similarly for #2. If I implied I would use it as a toy I apologize, that wasn't my intent, I used to help my father running loaders at a gravel pit and similar things so I have some training or at least an idea of the respect that needs to be paid to machines of size and power. Based on what people been saying outside of the occasional trip to school as an excuse to fire it up and drive it. Its prime function will be summer time on backroads and through empty fields back to campsites. Then any further use will probably be by request, or need. Like the next time my friends and I build significant outdoor furniture from 4x4s only to discover we don't have a good way to move it haha. My expenses are very low and my income should be sufficient to fund its use and maintenance. 3-5gs was my butter zone for pricing so its good to hear that's reasonable.

Deuceshigh

Im also 19 and looking at one seriously as well and the few things I noted are
1. You have to be REALLY good with a manual. Can you start from a dead stop up a hill, with no issues?
2. How careful are you as a driver?
3. Can you park it locally? In my town I cannot park one where it is visible from the street (at least as mine will be used as a commercial vehicle and registered as such).
4. How will you pay for fuel? At 8 MPG tops and with fuel prices rising, how will you pay for diesel or set up an alt fuel source?
5. Can you get an insurance policy (maybe this should be number one)? I only found one place (USAA) who would insure me, and it was $1500 per year for liability ONLY. For a good commercial policy Id bet that you or I would pay close to $2500 per year. Trying to get a full commercial policy for a moving vehicle (I am planning to start a moving company and a deuce was the most fun option as well as cheapest) also was impossible once the agent did more research.
6. Where are you going to park it/ will your parents let you bring it home (I assume you live at home)?
And also double your budget. You need to budget for insurance and potentially $1500 for parts to get it 100%.
7. The brakes SUCK. My dad drove one in the army and has nothing but horror stories about the brakes (another guy losing a brake line and taking out a telephone pole, air pressure spiking and suddenly stopping on the highway, baking into a rock losing a brake line and starting to roll backwards down a hill). They also have god awful visibility compared to a car.
8. Cost of ownership. Its going to be about $300 to do a complete fluid change. Offhand I believe they need 22 quarts of motor oil at about $6.50 a quart and you need to do that every 10,00 miles (or more) plus tires are $150 a pop (at least) and you need ten. Plus they don't last too long from what I hear (5000 miles give or take on the front).
9. Can you maintain it on your own?
10. Can you handle it should it lose a tire or you have to stop suddenly? i.e. are you a good enough driver.
11. If you really want a deuce get behind the wheel. Its a lot smaller then you think it is. I know for one that should I buy one I will need to rearrange the seat so I can fit comfortably in one (and Im only 6' 4")
12. Understand that if any of your friends or friends family needs to move something you will be called. Or if they get stuck etc. If that bothers you don't get one. And you probably won't get paid back for gas so theres that too.

So on the whole I would do a lot more research on it before deciding. I have decided yes as I figure by the time I have the money for one Ill be a much better driver and more competent mechanic. Also I can drive a manual (which if you can't don't bother with an A2) and am used to driving slow cars with bad brakes and now power steering (can you say 1975 volvo station wagon). Best of luck and I hope you find what your looking for. 2cents

Last edited:

Troll1216

Being relitively new to the hobby, but driving one for work sometimes during hurricanes, I can say they are FUN to drive but absolutely positively demand your FULL attention and RESPECT while driving. Not only for the operator, but to avoid all the stupid things 4 wheelers (cars and smaller trucks) do around big slow trucks. (people swoop you at redlights and dramatically shorten your pre planned stopping distance, tailgate you, and pull out in front of you, lights short cycle - quick yellow to red - and all the other dumb things that can happen.)

Insurance WILL be an issue. Make sure they will cover you, not just tell you that they will. GET IT IN WRITING if you are going to use it as a daily driver. If you go classic, be prepared for the limitations.

I don't have a lot of money and I can say it can be taxing - Oil change, fuel, parts, etc... plan on spending some coin.

BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES!!! these are the single most important thing on the truck. If you are going to spend some serious time with it go remote resivor, PERIOD... Inspect EVERY time you drive for fluid level and functionality.

Wheel chocks and parking (some what) brake - USE them - the wheel chocks, store it on flat ground and dont leave the parking brake set for long periods.

NEVER EVER leave it in gear, it WILL BUMP START and run over everything!

Get spare parts and read up on the manuals, I am a novice mechanic and have friends that help me when I need it, you should be able to either do it your self, or have soneone show you how to do it and then have them on call the next time.

ALL of your tools are too small (most of them anyway)

You will be either too cold, too hot, or too wet driving it, period...

Point being there was a whole lot more involved in owning one than I thought, I learn every time I operate mine, work on it or READ about it. Do your research carefully,get the TMs and READ them. learn the differences between A2 and A3 and the different variations. Wait for the right truck. Ask questions, and take a member with you when you buy it. It is a great hobby, its a hoot to drive, and has an awesome history.

Oh almost forgot, stopping on wet roads with NDT or NDCC treads SUCKS!!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This was not an original CARNAC product however the original version had some grammatical errors and I redid it then sent it off to Lifer (may he rest in peace) who had been an English teacher to validate my corrections. I never saw through having it resent to whoever originally published it and forgot about it until now.

Read the attached and then make a decision. They're a lot of work but can also be a lot of joy. One minute you will thank God you have it and the next feel like the devil himself is punishing you.

Just don't think you're getting a sports car and don't think it will stop on a dime. Patience and long stopping distances are the rule not matter who pulled out in front of you or cut you off or whatever.

Good luck in your decision.

Attachments

mcmullag

flip a coin

I would suggest ya wait awhile. Keep reading here and maybe find somebody that has one and get around one of these in person and learn more about them. I was on here about a year and a half before I bought one. I am on my second one. I just use mine for parades and displays. These things weigh 6.5 tons, I never take mine out in the snow. What happens here is it snows on asphalt streets warm from the sun, then temperature drops and so the layer against the street is now ice and then snow on top. A deuce on that would be like a hippo on ice skates. I am just puttin in my two cents. The fuel costs would suck if you really use it alot. Financial dude Dave Ramsey says..... Live like no one else now so you can live like no one else later. In other words, be frugal and hold on to your money and you will have more later as it builds up. If you can keep your costs of how you live low, you dont have pressure on ya and you dont have to work as much. I would suggest wait a couple years at least.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and good luck on getting a truck.

As for a Deuce on snow and ice, I sometimes can't back mine into my barn without locking in the front axle because it spins on dry concrete. Although it is quite fun power sliding in the field in the winter time.

eagle4g63

Welcome from up North.

I see alot of mv guys on here say NO on the daily drive.......I do daily drive mine and love it, I also know how to handle a larger truck and am not afraid of getting my hands dirty if(should say when) something goes wrong. They can be dependable as long as you do some maintenance on them (I am pretty lazy on that but there are some things that you have to do to any truck)

Snow.......I do like mine in the snow....might be me might be the tires I have instead of the stock ones.....you might get mixed feelings on this.

I think you should start young.....more limber and able to do the work.....you get older and sometimes just looking at one of the heavy parts makes you have aches and pains:shock::shock:

I bought mine for 5grand and have put another 2 into it at this point.....but I have a really nice truck and also have an arctic kit in it so MASS HEAT for the winter driving I do......again I like the snow and I hate being cold.

If you are ever up north by Griffith, give me a shout and you are more than welcome to drive my truck and see if you really like it before you go buying.....also not sure if anyone suggested it but there are members here that sell their rigs.

First pic: the day I brought it home.....second: the way it looks now.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome , here are a cpouple things to study before deuce shopping
TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf Basic operators tecnical manual , should be read before operating a deuce ( or even previewing one )
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf systematic inspection procedure , this will show what needs to be inspected regularly and some things daily.

You should learn both of these before truck shopping , it may save you hidden costs later.

jrobinson5093

I bought mine at around 21 years old and I love it. I drive mine as a daily drive and have no problems with it. About once a week I do a full check up on the truck. But I did find out my twenty min ride to work turns into a 30 to 35 min ride when in the deuce. I drive mine mainly for cost. it runs on WMO and I have almost a unlimited supply of it at work. I love my truck,exept when it rains then I just like it.

indy4x4fab

Banned
The best advise I could give you is come to the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/90981-2012-fall-haspin-rally-2-a.html most members are some of the nicest guys and gals you will meet from miles around. Ride in the trucks, soak in all the one on one advise you can take then, I'm sure a few of us would be willing to give you some stick and wheel time on some of the simple trails. I'll be down in Brown County over labor day weekend with the family and flibob is in Nashville Indiana, so I'm sure we can get you some time to craw all over the trucks and answer as many of your questions. Hope to see you at the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/90981-2012-fall-haspin-rally-2-a.html

Attachments

Flyingvan911

I love my deuce. Do your homework and be patient. Deuces are great but are alot of responsibility. A good deuce from a reasonable seller is usually 3,000-4,000 bucks. When you are sure your ducks are in a row, buy it and you won't be sorry.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best advise I could give you is come to the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/90981-2012-fall-haspin-rally-2-a.html most members are some of the nicest guys and gals you will meet from miles around. Ride in the trucks, soak in all the one on one advise you can take then, I'm sure a few of us would be willing to give you some stick and wheel time on some of the simple trails.

If you ever come to Indy I could show you mine and maybe take a ride. It may be for sale in the near future.

Dave

indy4x4fab

Banned
The best advise I could give you is come to the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/90981-2012-fall-haspin-rally-2-a.html most members are some of the nicest guys and gals you will meet from miles around. Ride in the trucks, soak in all the one on one advise you can take then, I'm sure a few of us would be willing to give you some stick and wheel time on some of the simple trails.

If you ever come to Indy I could show you mine and maybe take a ride. It may be for sale in the near future.

Dave
Is that a hint that you maybe getting a m916?

chevyCUCV

MV dealers usually jack up their prices. Since you're just getting into the hobby, and because of your age, many people will say to get a CUCV. But if you ever plan on upgrading to a 5 ton, getting a deuce now would be the better option.

I'm 19 and I drive my 5 ton several times a week.
Thats just unfair. You have so many cool toys and all i get is a stinkin CUCV!

Young people rule the world though, no matter what the old farts think.

Edit to the OP, If you understand that you can do anything, then you can own a deuce. Any maintenace/repair is do able, especially with the help here. Also a CDL is a good idea if big trucks are going to be in your future. I got mine recently, but not many states give them out to people under 21, so you will have to look into it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks