• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

impact guns

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Just wondering what sort of impact guns guys are having success with removing the lugs on a 923a0. My 1/2in gun wont even sniff it. it may after they come off once but I have to change hub seals and cant get the lugs off. My large breaker bar and a 10' pipe didnt help either and im trying to avoid using the blue wrench if I can

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year at the GA Rally there were folks seeking a geared lug wrench to remove a deuce tire (same size as 5 ton). I offered my cordless Milwaukee impact and got a little shrug and a reluctant yeah. Knocked off 5/of the 6. Now I have the fuel version and at 1000# feet of torque, I don't have any issues. My 1" impact is enjoying a peaceful retired life now. Lug nuts on my M1031A0 are nothing for it.

jasonjc

I have a HF 1'' , I've used it for years and have taken 100's of wheel off with. It's never let me down. But you need a 1/2" air hose and the bigger 1/2" couplings, you can use the smaller stuff but you will not be happy at all. Same goes for the 3/4" gun's. And oil , PB Blaster makes an air tool conditioner that works real good.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The poor fellers way to run a 1" impact is with an air pig. Basically a second tank with 1/2" fittings and hose to the gun. Truck or compressor air charges the tank.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
The poor fellers way to run a 1" impact is with an air pig. Basically a second tank with 1/2" fittings and hose to the gun. Truck or compressor air charges the tank.
Am I up s*** creek without a paddle trying to use a 3/8 hose. At the moment thats all I got with a 25gal tank on my compressor. What is the torque on these anyways?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I up s*** creek without a paddle trying to use a 3/8 hose. At the moment thats all I got with a 25gal tank on my compressor. What is the torque on these anyways?
Get a glad hand and a 1/2" hose and run it off the emergency glad hand. The impact is so fast (seconds) to remove a nut, you will not deplete much air doing 10 of them.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
If no one has changed them!! It happens.

Most of the time they will/should have a "L" or "R" stamped in the end of the stud or on the nut.
Lots of paint on them but i did not look that close. Over 10 years of being a professional mechanic and the righty tighty lefty loosey finally failed me:oops:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of paint on them but i did not look that close. Over 10 years of being a professional mechanic and the righty tighty lefty loosey finally failed me:oops:
No worries, just be glad that you didn't end up snapping off any wheel studs, as has happened to others here!

Good luck, keep us updated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks