• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Importing UAZ 469 from Russia

rongaudier

I just got back from Russia and found a pretty nice UAZ 469 in St. Petersburg. The dealer has all documentation for the vehicle, but there is no VIN# or ID plate. Dealer says this is normal for cars of this vintage (1980). Question is, will customs have an issue with it. And will it be an issue with EPA/DOT and proving the 25 year rule.

I have contacted a shipping company in St Petersburg that says they can ship it to Houston for $2100. They say they have done this before and not had issues. Does anyone here have experience with this and can give some pointers?
Thanks.

pontiac62

Ya it has to be 25 years or older to use on the road. Other wise it had to meet the laws that apply to it. I’m no expert but that’s what I found out when I looked into it awhile back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya it has to be 25 years or older to use on the road. Other wise it had to meet the laws that apply to it. I’m no expert but that’s what I found out when I looked into it awhile back.
His issue is whether it can be imported. In TX if he registers it as a Former Military Vehicle (FMV) EPA/DOT rules don't matter. The state will register ANY former military vehicle regardless of age, weight, country of origin, etc and the 25 year rule doesn't matter.

pontiac62

I would definitely be calling customs on that issue and ask for the rules or laws pertaining to the vehicle has no vin or data. If that would cause a problem importing it. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess says it'll be luck of the draw depending in which customs officer looks at it at arrival in Houston.

Anything from no problem, to impounded with storage fees in th hundreds of dollars per day.

Talking to customs beforehand is like talking to DMV prior - the answers you receive today may or may not reflect what actually happens. Roll of the dice....

Edit- I guess that's not very helpful. Talk to teletech, he recently imported some goodies...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks