• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In radiator engine oil cooler

richingalveston

seems like the jury is out on this one, my 2cts would be to run a separate trans cooler before I would run a separate oil cooler. But I like the idea of a separate trans, oil and water cooler.

I have a trans cooler being installed as I put things back together on the turbo add. I am also adding two hydraulic coolers, one on each return line (brake and steering).
With using the in=radiator cooler, if all is working properly temps stay 190 or less and that should not be a big problem for the oil. There is room, I could add one but I am going to see how things go with all the other cooler changes first.

let us know if how your oil cooler works out.

NovacaineFix

If I get what you are saying, That you want to use the oil cooler that is inside the radiator for cooling the transmission fluid? I assume, in addition to the transmission cooler located on the other end of the radiator.

Yes, sure you can, they are both designed for oil so using both for engine oil or trans fluid shouldn't matter at all. Now your plumbing may be a hassle to deal with, but you'll have to figure that part on your own.

If you're not using the engine oil cooler for the engine oil, just make sure that your lines coming out of the block are properly sealed.
I would probably use the trans fluid cooler in the radiator in combination with an external oil cooler and plumb it to go through the radiator portion then into the air cooler then back to the trans for maximum efficiency aka cooling.

Good luck

rsh4364

Thanks guys, I plan on running auxiliary coolers for both oil and trans fluid. And A/ N hose. The original transmission cooler may be a power steering fluid cooler.

rustystud

I have my transmission cooling lines go to the engine oil side cooler and my power steering lines go to the transmission cooler. The transmission lines then go to two coolers (with AN fittings) in front of the radiator .Since I removed the 6.2 diesel and installed a 383 Hi-torque crate engine I didn't need the engine oil cooler anymore.

richingalveston

I am considering using the trans cooler part of the radiator for the return line from my steering gear box. I will have another small cooler on the brake return line. I have two of the small coolers but I think I may try to use the radiator instead of one of the coolers

Have you ever used an IR thermometer on the hydraulic system since you plumbed it to the cooler? I was wondering what your fluid temps were running?

Thanks,
Rich

rustystud

I am considering using the trans cooler part of the radiator for the return line from my steering gear box. I will have another small cooler on the brake return line. I have two of the small coolers but I think I may try to use the radiator instead of one of the coolers

Have you ever used an IR thermometer on the hydraulic system since you plumbed it to the cooler? I was wondering what your fluid temps were running?

Thanks,
Rich
Is this question to me ? If so my transmission temperature is running around 150 to 180. Remember I run the lines first to the radiator cooler then to the two coolers in front of the radiator. I have a nice transmission temperature gauge mounted on the dash so I can check in a second what my temp is. I also have a transmission pressure gauge mounted lower in the dash.

richingalveston

I was asking about your power steering temps using the trans cooler portion of the radiator. I am installing separate trans cooler and considering using the radiator for the power steering like you say you have done with yours.

My question was how the power steering cooler was working and what temps were you running on the steering system. I am worried the radiator cooler will add heat to the power steering and not remove.

rustystud

I was asking about your power steering temps using the trans cooler portion of the radiator. I am installing separate trans cooler and considering using the radiator for the power steering like you say you have done with yours.

My question was how the power steering cooler was working and what temps were you running on the steering system. I am worried the radiator cooler will add heat to the power steering and not remove.
You might have a problem with heat if you don't have a "Hydra-Boost" brake unit. My M1028 has the power steering pump providing not only steering assist but also brake boost so it can get pretty warm. Since I did this mod it has been running extremely well and cool ! Before on a hot day if I had to drive through town with all the stops and maneuvering the steering pump would get quite toasty. Now it takes it and asks for more !
If you want I can take some pictures of how I routed my lines from the transmission and power steering. I did have to find some specialty fittings to go into the radiator and adapt to the transmission lines and power steering lines. There are some odd size inverted flare (with 'O' rings) fittings this radiator uses.

Last edited:

richingalveston

I plan to use the radiator oil cooler as is. I will just use the transmission portion for the steering. I have hydro boost also. I also have a high volume PSC pump with remote tank. It powers the brakes, steering and hydro assist cylinder on the front axle. My remote tank gets really hot. The remote tank has two returns, one from the brakes and one from steering box. I was going to run the return from the steering box to the trans cooler bottom fitting and then from the radiator top fitting back to the tank. I have a separate small cooler for the brake return.

I was just trying to confirm you trans cooler portion of the radiator was actually working to cool the hydro boost system.

Thanks. I have one of the fittings, I just need the other. posting the fitting info may be helpful
Rich

rustystud

009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg016.jpg017.jpg019.jpg002.jpg003.jpg007.jpg024.jpg Here's a few pictures of my truck. You can see the transmission lines and the power steering lines going to the radiator. I'm also working on installing an "onboard air-compressor" system, and a dual battery isolator.

rustystud

026.jpg025.jpg027.jpg030.jpg036.jpg035.jpg

I few more pictures showing my dual stick TC levers and my new "NoShok" transmission pressure gauge. I'm also trying to find another electrical gremlin in my dash. I have bought 5 dash panels so far and everyone seems to have some glitch. Very annoying ! I suppose I should just bite the bullet and buy one of those new repop dashes.

rustystud

001.jpg006.jpg008.jpg

All this talk about power steering cooling got me thinking ( I know that's bad ! ) since I already own another cooler why not install it for the steering ! So today I took off the grill and put on the cooler. This makes for a better shot of my transmission coolers also. I need to buy some hydraulic hose tomorrow. I know almost any hose will work since its a return line but I want a hydraulic rated hose for the temperature.

rsh4364

I have my transmission cooling lines go to the engine oil side cooler and my power steering lines go to the transmission cooler. The transmission lines then go to two coolers (with AN fittings) in front of the radiator .Since I removed the 6.2 diesel and installed a 383 Hi-torque crate engine I didn't need the engine oil cooler anymore.
when you converted the oil cooler to the transmission cooler what fittings did you use? Tubing to A/N compression fittings?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks