• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

INFO ON Deuce tractor

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Recovery4x4 has one, he has many pictures and articles (threads) here about it.....Look in the photo gallery and the motor pool....

ALso, another fella has one, but I can't remember his screen name, he just got it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you probably anything you want to know about the M275A2. Most of them were made in 1966, almost all of them were non-turbo and sprag equipped. There was one on Ebay just a few days ago IIRC. I love mine! Fits well in parking spaces, easy to see behind and turns sharper than most deuces.

Kenneth-at least you have a village. Me, I'm just an idiot

When I was in the National Guard, I never paid any attention to the engine in the deuce, just got the log book and did the mission. Didn't have a truck assigned to get used to one over another.

I understand the non-turbo multifuel won't cruise quite as well on the highway? I may be looking at 150-250 mile trips for displays. What kind of fuel mileage, cruising speed, etc. Looks like you've done a lot with yours. Don't think I'll ever be mating with another deuce, though.

The last few times I needed it, the deuce I was driving had the air shift lever for the front end. Is this a recommended upgrade for the sprag equipped tractor?

I'm thinking deuce tractor because it's a smaller trailer. Single axle, 26' long. 5T would be overkill.

Saw the one on e-bay, Clinto. Until I saw that one, I'd forgotten there were other options besides 5ts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, the non turbo should do just fine without lots of weight behind it. If you're cruising empty or with just say an M105, it will run right up against the governor if its running correctly. 10 MPG should be no problem with the little guy. I averaged 6.49 when piggybacking the M35A2. As far as the sprag, as mong as it's adjusted correctly, I have no problem with them. You could always swap it out later if a good deal on an air shift came along. You could also add a turbo with not much effort. Cranetruck did an article for MV Magazine a few years back showing the steps he took while adding the turbo to his truck. All in all, I wouldn't let the non turbo or sprag dictate whether I buy a truck as long as its a solid truck with a decent service life left. The absolute ideal trailers for the M275A2 is the M118, M119 and M146. All are 6 ton single axles with the latter 2 being vans and the first a stake bed. I would love to find a nice M118A1 near by! I had a diamond in the rough M146 that I bought for $80 but like a fool sold it to my neighnor. We took the suspension off and planted it in his yard. He's got the coolest shed on the block.

THe trailer is a M384 (I think) electronics van, 6T single axle. Probably just a different configuration for the doors, etc. It's nowhere near you, so don't go gettin' excited or anything.

Like Ryan asks, how much are they going for? I may be looking at a 600 mile trip home with it, and need to know how much a travel ready truck might cost me.

houdel

Brian - a real off the cuff suggestion here - IF the trailer doesn't weigh TOO much (26' shouldn't be too heavy), you don't have to tow it TOO far, and your M-37 has a pintle hitch, you could get a dolly and tow it home with the M-37. I know the M-37 doesn't have a lot of power, but if you are not going too far it might work. Just a thought. On second thought, I just reread your post about a 600 mile trip. Probably too much for the M-37. Might be able to find someone with a bigger truck to pull it though.

While you are at it, mind telling me (us) about the Michigan Museum of Military Transport?

NEIOWA

May be more economical to convert a cargo Duece to a tractor. Sell the bed and install a 5th wheel.

Our FD will soon be selling a commerical (1990) 5th wheel we are removing from an F900 6x6 we received from DOD. Full floating/crosscountry with adjustable track. email if anyone is interested. A lousy photo attached, will get a better one.

Attachments

NEIOWA-- Dave P and I discussed using a cargo deuce, but I lilke the idea of the shorter wheelbase. And I'm not sure how easy it is to sell Deuce bpxes without a truck attached, except for scrap. But, now that we know where the fifth wheel setup can be found, we have another option. I'll let you know about that after I chat w/Dave some more.

Lee-You sure you've got enough time for me to go on about the MMMT? We are a group of MV hobbyists and collectors who have more vehicles than we can drive to a show. So we started talking about putting the extra vehicles we don't normally drive or are too big or heavy to drive in a central location so the public can come and see some rolling history. That's the short version.

We're based out of Grayling, we still don't have a permanent home yet. We're working with the City of Grayling on a possible location.

Right now we work as a traveling museum, with our members bringing their mv's to whatever event from all over the state. We have members from Jackson, Battle Creek, St. Clair Shores, Davison, Quincy, Alpena, Detroit, Boyne City, Indian River, Frederic, Grayling. I'm not really trying to list them all, since I'll MISS ONE GUY AND HE"LL GET PISSED.

Many of our members also belong to Great Lakes MVPA. They are more of the fun side, we are more of the educational, serious side. We had 9 vehicles and assorted trailers at a show downtown Grayling on Saturday. Next one is in Hillman (near Alpena) on the 12th, then the Clare show on the 25-27th. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple brochures and member apps. Citizensoldier (Lane) is one of our hardworking members. He and his wife are working on our website. I think he's got a link. I'll put it up under conversations so everyone can find it.

citizensoldier

MMMT

Here is the link if you want to check it out. It is under construction so some photos may not come up. It helps answer alot of questions and sheds some light on what we are trying to do.
http://webpages.charter.net/mmmt/index.htm
Our registered address will be www.mmmt.us but is still not linked properly to the above address. Still waiting for that to take place its out of my hands at this time.
Lane

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: MMMT

Brian, around $5000 seems to be the median price for a deuce tractor. You must also factor in the lack of avaiability and what others are looking for at the time you're looking. Luckily there is no commercial market for a deuce tractor. That one was still on Ebay yesterday. The tralier you have sounds like an M348 elec van. Depending on the configuration should be 324" long and weigt 8770#. I once turned down $9500 for my tractor. I can't replace it with one as nice for that (my opinion).

Kenneth-That's kinda what I thought. Shoulda had ya PM me with that info. Hope nobody that was willing to sell for $3K sees what you were offered. But, since you use yours, and keep it in top shape, it is worth a little more.

The e-bay one is WAY up in NY state, 2000 mile round trip to pick it up. Well, on the way there we could go through Canada, but many people have recommended against going across the border with a MV. Having it hauled commercially has to be added in to the cost.

Photo of the data plate shows 319" L with empty weight at 9,040. The model number didn't blow up well, but does look like M348A2. Don't know why I keep typing 3-8-4.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

There's just not a big selection of deuce tractors out there. In the gasser era there was an M48. It was based on the 154" wheel base just like the cargo trucks. Even though it had the same wheelbase, the truck was a little shorter since the frame was much shorter after the rear axle. Member Miltrucks built a tractor from a cargo. I't kind of a hybrid M48A2. Really nice truck. Adding a 5th plate to a cargo is a viable option of a deuce tractor doesn't rear its head.

rizzo

hey Kenny I used my 543 to lift a drum of fuel out of my pickup and when I drove it on the grass (twice in the same tracks aua ) next to the house it made some deep indents in the lawn. More and more I am seeing how the deuce is a better truck for the hobbiest that doesn't have an explicit need for a bigger truck. I am going to take the shop van off of my 109 and put a cargo box on it. I will have more uses for it that way.

this isn't totally off topic. I think in most cases a deuce tractor would be enough for a hobbiest.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I agree with you completely Kevin. I like the bigger is better thing but the realist in me knows that I'm much better off with the deuce stuff. Although I really like 5 tons especially wreckers, I'm much better off with the M108 and the repower works flawlessly. Between the tractor and wrecker, I'm blessed with a truely cool personal motorpool.

It also fits this trailer

Actually, I'm an M37 guy in transition. Until I bought this trailer, I left the bigger trucks to those who needed to impress someone or who had REAL work to do. One member of our Museum group (Dave P) already has a 5T tractor, and it is just more than this little trailer needs. When I find a good deuce tractor, it will be the perfect tow vehicle and a pretty neat addition to our display.

NEIOWA

RE: It also fits this trailer

Do you guys have your 503c3/nonprofit? If so you can get DOD equipment thru your state surplus property office. The cost is/may be negotiable as they get direct from DRMS at no cost to them. But someone has to pay for transport from Ft Bummf, Ga to end user; repairs if any; and to support the lifestyle to which your state surplus property office has become accustomed. I HAD a deal with the Iowa state surplus property office where they would process the paperwork for a $75 fee for our vol. Fire Dept. I'd locate, screen, transport etc.

Anyhow if you need a tractor there is what sounds to be a very nice one located at National Guard facility in Lansing, MI 1994 L9000 with 24753mi. Mi paid to bring back from a post in Italy New tires and brakes. Has AC Tranmission needs repair/replace 13sp Roadranger. Mich Guard tells me Bad transmission, 2nd and 6th bad gears, no 3rd gear, pops out of gear, grinds while in Trans is with truck not sure if hooked up/drivable or not. Mi guard didn't want to pay to fix. So they are dumping what is probably a $25000+ truck that DOD paid to ship from Italy to MI. Thats the military. Our local truck guy says $1500-2500 to repair or replace the transmission.

Available for request until Friday thru your state surplus property office. If no req likely will go to govliq based on how it is listed in the DRMS system. Actually a pretty dang good truck. We're passing on it becasue we decided to stick to automatics. Maybe something that will work for your projects. There also are a fairly good supply of 5t tractors coming thru the DRMS system.

See:
https://www.drms.dla.mil/flis_plus/...c=SVXS&dtid=W81TKG60948001A&ftype=GOV&dodaac=

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks