• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump check valve

unaffiliated

Ok, I have searched for this but I don't have time to read through 4000 pages of posts to find out more information about the fuel pump check valve. I have heard it can break or come apart and cause a no start issue which is what I am having. Can someone just tell me where it is with out 10 posts complaining that I did not search for it long enough. I have done a spin on fuel filter mod and the electric fuel pump mod already to correct this problem. Thanks, CF.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure 15, item 33 in TM 9-2320-289-34P. Sorry, can't post a PDF capture from my phone. I was able to peruse the parts TM and find it pretty quick on the phone.

Skinny

What is the problem you are having? You shouldn't have to put a spin on filter or electric fuel pump to correct any problem. You can pull the check valve out to see if the ball is broken or missing but you may have other issues like leaky lines or a failing IP.

unaffiliated

My issue started last week. On Tuesday it cranked normally but ran for 15 or so seconds and died. I like to never got ir re-cranked. It started fine the rest of the day and I drove it probably 150 miles. Wednesday, same thing. Ran for 15 or so seconds and died. I ran the batteries down trying to re-crank it. I suspected the fuel filter base was causing the issue because I have read about that plenty of times on here. I don't have any leaking lines. I have wanted a spin on fuel filter for a while because the filter is more readily available. Nobody in Rome, Georgia stocks the factory filter. I suspected the fuel filter base was causing the issue so I changed it. I wanted the electric fuel pump to prime the system without running my batteries down. I have not been able to get the vehicle cranked after these repairs. I am about to check for power at the injection pump wire as suggested by the guy I got the truck from. Hope that works.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4000 pages?

Time to learn how to use a book.

Skinny

You may have a failing IP that has internal issue. Definitely check the IP for the correct voltage at the solenoid. Trying to run the engine or crank it with air in the system will ruin the prime on the high pressure injection lines. Try cracking them open while cranking with the IP powered up to bleed them out.

I have a manual primer pump on my filter and I've serviced my system many times. It fires right up on the first crank. Keeping air out is key, this may be your issue for whatever reason. Have you ever replaced your IP? It may just be on its last leg.

unaffiliated

I know how to read a friken book Doghead. I figured I would get a smart ass comment from you.

I did get the truck running. Apparently I had a loose connection at the wire on the injection pump. I drove it about 150 miles yesterday and it ran fine and started every time. I stopped last night to get something to eat. I went to move the truck to a place where I could see it from inside the building since I had all my tools in the bed. The friken DOGHEAD relay stuck and the starter ran on until it melted all my fusible links and almost caught the truck on fire. I managed to yank the cables off the batteries just in time. I had to get the truck towed to a friend's house. Now I need a new starter and a major wiring repair job.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you positively diagnose the failure to the DH relay mod? You will be the first, if indeed it was the cause of your issue.

If you used the table of contents in the front of the TM, you would have no need to read through 4000 pages.

You either do not know how to use a book, or you over dramatized your situation.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have suffered the same failure post relay mod twice now. Both instances proved to be a starter malfunction.

unaffiliated

If you read my original post, you will see that I was referring to numerous pages of posts on this forum, not the TM. When you type 'Injection pump check valve' into the search box, you get 395 threads containing that phrase. Each thread has numerous pages. I was originally trying to find where I had read about the check valve failing causing a no start issue. I wanted more information about it. I simply did not have time to read all the entries and was became very frustrated and by that time, simply wanted to figure out where the check valve was located. At no time in my original post did I mention that I could not find it in the TM. My computer is old and it does not read pdf documents well. I have seen on here where people waste so much energy chastizing members for not searching, when they could have used less energy simply answering the question. That is all. My relay is fried into a melted mass of plastic so you tell me what failed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks