• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3L injection pump, fuel rack sticking.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The internal rack? Might not be the rack itself, could be a rusted, broken delivery valve or a governor issue.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it off and bring it to a reputable ADS shop. 1) WARRANTY, 2) experience and knowing when a part is FUBAR, 3) ever seen an engine that someone that had tried to fix a pump by themselves? I have, a few times, was kinda cool to look through it! 4) right the first time, if taken to a good shop. 5) can YOU balance the output of the delivery valves at home?

Didn't think so

Just sayin', but, it is your junk, do what you want.

jimbo66348

Take it off and bring it to a reputable ADS shop. 1) WARRANTY, 2) experience and knowing when a part is FUBAR, 3) ever seen an engine that someone that had tried to fix a pump by themselves? I have, a few times, was kinda cool to look through it! 4) right the first time, if taken to a good shop. 5) can YOU balance the output of the delivery valves at home?

Didn't think so

Just sayin', but, it is your junk, do what you want.
If I have to year it apart, I will. Just trying to avoid that.

74M35A2

Are you sure it is not just the throttle and linkage?

Anything else damaged? I’d guess a sticking rack could be caused by water laden fuel, or an engine overheat.

Pretty low cost to have a shop give your pump a tune up. Great time to turn it up and advance the timing on it as well, if you wanted.

jimbo66348

Are you sure it is not just the throttle and linkage?

Anything else damaged? I’d guess a sticking rack could be caused by water laden fuel, or an engine overheat.

Pretty low cost to have a shop give your pump a tune up. Great time to turn it up and advance the timing on it as well, if you wanted.
Yes. I pulled the hex plug out of the top of the governor section. The rack doesn't move with the throttle lever, and it moves rather sluggish with a screwdriver. Was running fine, new fuel. It just sat for two years, and viola!

74M35A2

Are you sure the rack is stuck? The rack goes to full throttle once the engine stops, and the governor pulls it back once running. I’m not doubting you, just a thinking check.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Yes. I pulled the hex plug out of the top of the governor section. The rack doesn't move with the throttle lever, and it moves rather sluggish with a screwdriver. Was running fine, new fuel. It just sat for two years, and viola!
Honestly that sounds like gummy fuel, Did you do the ATF trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbo66348

Are you sure the rack is stuck? The rack goes to full throttle once the engine stops, and the governor pulls it back once running. I’m not doubting you, just a thinking check.
I hold the shutdown solenoid in the run position, and when I move the throttle shaft, the rack doesn't move. It stays in the shutdown position. It won't start as well. I move the rack with a screwdriver, it runs. The rack acts like it's gummed up. I can move it back and forth, but it's stiff, or has a lot of resistance when moving it .

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly, what Clint said is incorrect. A Bosch pump when it shuts off goes to zero delivery. I think I remember it being past the idle setting. And I think I remember the rack being held at 0 delivery by a magnet inside. Detroit Diesel 2-stroke start at full fuel. You might have gotten some nasty Fuel and it's rusted the delivery valves. I doubt that there's anything wrong in the governor end, it is oiled, so unless there is water in the oil, my sorta educated guess will be thst there is an issue in the fuel side. Try removing the overflow valve and see if there's any rust on it, if it is one that can come apart, pull it apart and see if the spring is Rusty

jimbo66348

If I remember correctly, what Clint said is incorrect. A Bosch pump when it shuts off goes to zero delivery. I think I remember it being past the idle setting. And I think I remember the rack being held at 0 delivery by a magnet inside. Detroit Diesel 2-stroke start at full fuel. You might have gotten some nasty Fuel and it's rusted the delivery valves. I doubt that there's anything wrong in the governor end, it is oiled, so unless there is water in the oil, my sorta educated guess will be thst there is an issue in the fuel side. Try removing the overflow valve and see if there's any rust on it, if it is one that can come apart, pull it apart and see if the spring is Rusty
No rust on the delivery valve. Was good fuel, and just had oil change done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks