• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspection needed @ JAX Fl.

Nonotagain

Recovery complete @ JAX Fl.

Need a couple of trailers inspected @ Jacksonville Fl.

Anyone going for pick-up in the next couple of weeks available?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, that is not a problem. Are you looking for basic condition and towability issues?

Nonotagain

Basically towability.

I'm planning on setting the 101 on top of the 116, so the 116 is of most interest.

Overall condition of the tires, (pics show them being aired up) and rattle the wheels for condition of wheel bearings.

I've got 20 ton jack stands and blocking for the 101 to set on as well as chain binders to keep it all in place.

If the tires need replacement I'll bring some spares with me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done this exact stack before but they were -A1 trailers. Put the 101 on backwards with the tires removed. The leaf springs will just fit between the fenders of the 116. Sit the drums right on the deck of the 116 in front of the fenders. I had considered doing the exact thing when I got my last 2 a few weeks back but I didn't know if they would be able to stack them. I'll dig up pics of my stack. I'll certainly let you know!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, last week I won another M116A3 from Blount Island. In the meantime I find that another member won an M101A3 and I'm going to pick up both. When I picked up the last 2 I took my car trailer. This trip will be different. Since I already have an M116A3 and M101A3 I figured I'd do some fit testing. I've stacked -A1 trailers before and they fit pretty good but the -A3 trailer axles are much wider. I was also talkng with nonotagain about stacking as he is picking up the same combo. Tonight I did some fitting. I think I'll be removing the wheel and tires when I stack mine. Here are a few pics from the cell. They are still stacked so if anyone needs specific pics, I can get them tomorrow with a real camera. The first 2 pics are of it loaded with the wheels and tires in place. Too much overhang in the front to clear the back of the burb. Last 4 are without the tires.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using my 91 Burb. It's a 6.2 and the pump is worn so it's low on power. The last 2 I put on the car trailer but this time I'm dead headin it up. Saves 1500# both directions. The contractors at Blount Island were very cordial and had no problem using the fork lift to load my other 2 trailers.

dirtyfingernails

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think inspection is dissallowed. When I picked up my last trailers, they had been pulled aside into a holding area. I never even saw any more trailers. However, the fellows that helped me were exceptionally nice, helpful, and patient. Dunno. I'm headed back that way also to pick up another trailer as soon as the EUC clears.

Nonotagain

Using my 91 Burb. It's a 6.2 and the pump is worn so it's low on power. The last 2 I put on the car trailer but this time I'm dead headin it up. Saves 1500# both directions. The contractors at Blount Island were very cordial and had no problem using the fork lift to load my other 2 trailers.
Kenny, thanks for posting these pics.

I am driving almost 700 miles to Blount for pick-up and really don't want to pull a car trailer both directions.

By your pics, it appears that the 101a3 with tires on will still have enough of tire on the 116 deck. I'll still think hard about leaving them on, but to play it safe I now know that stacking won't be a issue.

I'll bring some cribbing as well as the 20ton jack stands and have the Blount Isle folks position the trailer leaving enough room to re-install the tires when home. A few chain binders and life will be good.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It fits. Tomorrow I'll try it in one more configuration. When I first put it up there I had the landing gear down and in order for the landing gear to sit on the trailer deck, the tires were all the way to the front. If I folded up the landing gear and moved the trailer back against the front of the 116 fenders, it might clear the back of the suburban. Either way it will fit but it sure fits nice and tight with the rolling stock off. My concern is getting in and off the island before irritating the employees.

Nonotagain

It fits. Tomorrow I'll try it in one more configuration. When I first put it up there I had the landing gear down and in order for the landing gear to sit on the trailer deck, the tires were all the way to the front. If I folded up the landing gear and moved the trailer back against the front of the 116 fenders, it might clear the back of the suburban. Either way it will fit but it sure fits nice and tight with the rolling stock off. My concern is getting in and off the island before irritating the employees.
Any possibilities of turning the trailer around so that it's going the same direction as the tow vehicle?

With the 101 tonge is resting on the deck the 116 there should be enough tonge weight to keep the whole affair from bobbing around. Would also make it a bit easier to unload when you get home if you don't have a crane truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll swing it around today and see if it has any tongue weight that way. The last pr of these I dod was an M116 genset trailer and I put a poineer tool trailer on top of it. I backed the 116 up in a ditch and then backed the pioneer trailer on and over the wheel wells then jacked it up and pulled the wheels and tires. I would think if you loaded it backwards you could back the 116 in a ditch and and hook another vehicle to the 101 and drive it off. Just thinking from what I did. Anyways, I'll play with it a bit today and try to find a real camera,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, did a little more swapping around today. I put the 101 on top and moved it back as far as I could and strapped it down. By far this will be the easiest as I don't have to fool with popping tires off. It loaded and secured just fine. I turned it around to see if it would sit forward. I had to put the tires near the back edge of the trailer to get the landing leg all the way on the deck of the trailer. The tongue of the bottom trailer popped right up. Then I moved the 101 as far forward as the 116 fenders would allow and strapped it down. The tongue still popped up. In the last pic, I was on the fwd edge of the deck of the 116 taking a pic of the landing gear. Even with my 205# on the front of the deck, I still couldn't get the tongue to sit on the ground. Nonotagain, I'd caution you about loading with over 200# of negative tongue weight, that sucker is gonna sway.

Attachments

Nonotagain

Kenny, thank you for posting these pictures and going thru the bother to try different configurations of loading.

I think I might be OK with the forward looking load approach. I am going to bring a 5K gas generator and a small Makita air compressor as well as two 16 inch tires on steel wheels. I can strap the genny on the bed and tires on the tongue of the 116 and that should get me about 450 lbs of weight up front.

My EUC went to Battle Creek this AM so I should hear something early next week on a pick-up date (Lord willing).

My 75 year old Dad wants to go on this recovery though I'm undecided on taking him with me. I guess he wants to see what he's going to end up storing in is back yard while he still has a chance to protest. The 101 is going to be his, since GL screwed me out of the one that I purchased as part of a two trailer auction at Ft. Meade.

Thanks again for verifying the trailer loading positions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem. What I should have done and didn't, was kick the back kickstand down and set all of the weight on the bottom trailer then try to push the trailer down. Please take pics and report how it does. I'm going to have them put Kevin's trailer on the top of mine backwards. 4 straps will secure it, I'll use 6 then head on down the road. My burb has a mil plug on the back for lights. My EUC has been at BC since the day after the auction but Kevin just sent his so I'll wait on his release before I head up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks