• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge

TURKEY131

Well after coming home last I nigh I was stopped at a traffic light scanned my gauges and My heart skipped a beat. My oil pressure is just above 0. So I start driving and it goes up to about 15. And that is it so every time I let off the throttle, the pressure goes back to 0. So I baby it home. Trying to maintain some kind of pressure. I did not hear any unusual noises so I hope I am ok. I did a search and have found a lot of good suggestions on the next thing to check. So today I look at my oil and it is way high. But does not smell of diesel. So I want to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I am looking for a detailed how to install the gauge. I will visit NAPA tomorrow to pick up the gauge. Any suggestions of what gauge to get? But if anyone to snap a picture of where they tapped into the engine for their mechanical gauge would be great too.

dozer1

Interesting thread to follow for me. I am heading to town right now to look for a mechanical gauge at Fleet Farm. I have 3 deuces and oil pressures are all over the board from 14-60 psi. If there is an easier way to plumb one in I am interested. Otherwise Just screw out the sending unit in the back of the engine is fool proof I am sure. The other thing I will look for is the Donaldson M070028 muffler. Seems like it would be a useful, sensible, and very practical mod.

toddm

I broke my camera last week or I'd take a picture for you. All I did was remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a tee, one hole for the sending unit and one for the mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Jake0147

For the oil level, be sure the checking procedure is correct. Within a minute of stopping the engine should be the plan, after it's sat, it should be somewhere around the K in the work "CHECK" I believe, but it should be high. This will vary depending on if you have regular filters, converted cans, directly mounted spin-on filters, your selection of filter for the spin-on... Follow the directions that came with the truck (TM) unless it's modified, otherwise follow the directions that come with the modification. In a pinch, figure the volume of the filters and set the running level the same as it was. (OEM capacity plus or minus any difference in the filter system volume) and learn a new mark on the stick to reflect the correct level at the correct time.

If indeed the engine is "making oil", then you have two options. Coolant or fuel. Gutta be one of the two... Coolant is easy to spot. Diesel should be spotted by smell. If you're utilizing the multi-fuel ability, all bets are off, you may or may not have a contamination that's recognizable by sight, touch, or smell.

There are two types of gauges, and two types of sending units. Mixing and matching will result in erroneous readings, but they should be consistent. A 120 pound sender with a 60 pound gauge will reflect one half of the oil pressure that is present. A sixty pound sender with a 120 pound gauge will reflect two times the pressure that is present. A failed sender or a failed gauge in any combination will be inconsistent,

A mechanical oil pressure gauge for a spot check is a very good idea at this point. At work I own plenty of "good" gauges, but for a road test where fat tubing and cumbersome gauges don't lend themselves, I keep the discount parts store "cheapie" handy. The plastic crappy tube snakes nicely through door gaskets and hood gaps (and existing holes in a deuce firewall), and can get you a reading quickly and reliably, for twenty beans or so.. (Remember, high accuracy is not the key here, a few pounds or more difference is expected. You're more looking for it to be above minimum, below maximum, pretty proportional to RPM until the relief takes over, pretty proportional to temperature (again you'll see the relief working) and above all else you are looking for your findings to be very consistent from one gauge check to the next, one day to the next, one week to the next...

If you wish to replace your electric gauge with a mechanical one permenantly, the factory air pressure gauge is suited and durable for that purpose. Just replace the electric gauge with a new air gauge, (the gauge display says only "pressure", and suitable plumbing to the oil pressure sender port in the engine.

Bill W

Attachments

roscoe

Well after coming home last I nigh I was stopped at a traffic light scanned my gauges and My heart skipped a beat. My oil pressure is just above 0. So I start driving and it goes up to about 15. And that is it so every time I let off the throttle, the pressure goes back to 0. So I baby it home. Trying to maintain some kind of pressure. I did not hear any unusual noises so I hope I am ok. I did a search and have found a lot of good suggestions on the next thing to check. So today I look at my oil and it is way high. But does not smell of diesel. So I want to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I am looking for a detailed how to install the gauge. I will visit NAPA tomorrow to pick up the gauge. Any suggestions of what gauge to get? But if anyone to snap a picture of where they tapped into the engine for their mechanical gauge would be great too.
I had the same experience a few months ago. Changed the sending unit out to match the guage and made no difference. Cleaned the regulator - no difference. I suspected a coolent leak into the oil. Had oil samples from my three m35's and a cat skid steer sent to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. One m35 and the cat came back close to perfect with no detectable problems. One m35 came back with average to be expected results. The last m35 came back with coolant in the oil and some signs of bearing wear. Money well spent in my opinion. The folks at blackstone told me coolant in the oil was the number one cause of diesel engine failure in their experience.

TURKEY131

Thanks for the reply's will be trying to do this later on in the week. I just started using Black Stone labs and I have been very happy so far with the results. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks