• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing front receiver hitch for Surf Fishing

Gloaf

Folks:

I wonder if anyone has experience mounting a receiver tube (or hitch) in the front of a CUCV. I'm thinking of doing this for the purpose of installing a removeable cargo carrier on the front of the vehicle, to hold ice chest and gear, as well as mount rod racks for surf fishing. the idea is you cruise along the beach with the fishing gear up front: visible and convenient.

I have not been able to find reference to this by doing a search, but perhaps I input the wrong search words.

Plus, are there any pitfalls I should be on the lookout for if I install this, like a reduced ability to be able to service the vehicle (remove radiator, etc.) if something breaks.

Thanks in advance!

Gloaf

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of the hitch manucatures used to built a front receiver. With the trucks being 25+ years old, not many around anymore.

You may have to build a custom one.

jw4x4

Perhaps you could have a bracket made which would attach the cargo carrier to the shackle mounts. It would definitely be far stronger than using a receiver tube.

MarcusOReallyus

Have to agree with jw4x4. IF you have to fabricate something, the shackle mounts would be the way to go. You'd have much better stability with two good mounting points instead of one.

If you manage to find an old mount that will fit, you'll probably have to remove the shackle mounts to install it.

richingalveston

I just got my front receiver hitch fabricated today, along with the winch holder. It is made of 3/8 inch steel plate and bolts between the frame rails in front of the cross member and behind the bumber. The two inch reciever is just below the bumper and is almost flush with the bottom of the bumper. did not get any pics with the bumper on but I did install it and check to make sure everything cleared. There is about a 1/4 inch between the hitch and bottom of the bumper. I used a solid 2 inch bar for the hitch mount welded to 3/8 plate and the rollers are mounted to 1/2 inch thick angle welded to the plate. I am not the best welder but it is deffinately built very solid. I beleive you could probably hang the truck from the winch if needed. It is going to the powder coaters on monday to be coated the same color green as the truck. It holds a 12000 lb mile marker winch.

Attachments

emr

Front hitches are common, And like said, the older trucks may not have em available from the factory any more, but i would think they do, I think boat yards are the biggest users, I Have been using them to station my job trailers for like 30 years, You can put trailers in much tighter locations and organize them much easier with a front hitch. Also when I have my job trailers at the shop, sometimes i will leave one 7 by 14 on the front and the 8 by 14 on the back so when i need access I just pull out the f350 and both trailers go with it, big time saver, All the winch companies have brackets for receivers, they are for front or rear .

emr

Nice job on the plate, Have you thought of using it on a light pull trial run to see where the flex comes from, and what it does when not lined up perfectly,

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
How thick is that block under the front leaf spring in pic 3?

I like the front rcvr!

Last edited:

richingalveston

The block under the leaf spring is a one inch zero rate from ORD. It moves the front axle forward one inch. The hitch has no flex I have looked at a few of them made by others and this one is at least twice as thick and has a 3/8 thick brace under the receiver that keeps the plate from flexing I did not see this brace on others. I tested it by putting blocks under each end and drove an 8000 lb tractor over it and it did not flex or bend at all. I was going to buy one but when I started looking locally I could not find any. I had the plate left over from another job and thus I only had to buy the 18 inch long 2 inch receiver tube and the 2 inch bar, just those two peices cost $100 from a local trailer supply company. The week point on the hitch is the frame of the truck. The frame is bent in the front and I have to stack washers under the center bolt on each side. I have 3 grade 5 bolts on each side at this time because I had the hardware. I could upgrade to grade 8 but the week point would still be the frame itself. I plan on using it for a winch or a front rack only, If I do use it for moving a trailer it will be rare. I have tractors with hitches on the front buckets that move most of our trailers around when needed. Using a longer bar and tape measure, it is lined up the best it can be.

thanks, I will post some more pics after it gets back from the powder coater and it is installed with the bumper and guard on the truck.

Rich

Tplane37

I didn't get a good look at the surface of your welds, but from looking at the heat marks on the back side of your plate, I'd say you're better at welding than you give yourself credit for. The heat (bluing) shows that you actually got penetration... Something that some self-proclaiming 'quality' welders don't get. Keep practicing, you're off to a good start.

Hitch plate looks good too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks